Chanyeol: Rain

A Vision of Happiness

AN: Reading this chapter with rain+music is much more effective? Ahahaha! XD

 


 

 

The rain was beginning to fall down harder but I didn’t make any attempt to shelter against the rain. Suho came from behind and gave me an umbrella. I took it graciously as I remembered that my beloved guitar was strapped on my back. I watched as Sehun, who was just recently introduced to me made his way slowly to the newly buried graves forever holding the traumatizing memory of discovering two lifeless and blue bodies brutally murdered on the front doorsteps of his home. His cries filled my heart with a deep sadness.

 

“Dad...Meena…”

 

His umbrella dropped from his hold and he bent down, hugging his knees to cry even harder. Suho walked over to him, holding him up and surprisingly, he latched onto the older one into a tight embrace. I looked over at Kai who was also crying, no longer holding his umbrella. On the way here, Sehun had introduced him as a friend he had known since primary school. I watched as D.O walked over to him and patted his shoulders in comfort.

 

I bowed to Sehun’s father and little sister in respect. So did Tao.

 

“You...Chanyeol...you were in the army. Why did you all do this to my family?! Why are you people killing us normal people?! What did we ever do?!” shouted Sehun, breaking away from Suho.

 

I sighed.

 

“It’s not like I was a part of it because I wanted to. At first I received a letter from the main command saying I was drafted into the army, any objections denied. I joined but was made to work at an office. Then I was suddenly transferred here, to the battle front because I was reported as tall and fit to fight. I didn’t even know what was happening. Until I saw death. I saw soldiers kill off people just like me. They killed innocent people in front of me. Children, the elderly, mothers, fathers...all of those who were not perfect and ‘true humans’.”

 

He looked at me with sad and hateful eyes.

 

“What do you mean by ‘true humans’ ?”

 

“I’m not even sure myself. I’ve asked around but all they told me was there were people who weren’t a hundred percent human. They were weak people or the strongest people. The only person who would fully understand the motive for this purge war...is the one who started it themselves.

 

He nodded sadly with a bit of guilt.

 

“I’m sorry Chanyeol-hyung...can I call you that?” he asked looking up at me shyly.

 

I nodded.

 

I watched as he picked up his umbrella and walked over to his little sister’s grave and knelt down. From the looks of both their body’s condition when we first got here, they were probably killed two to three days ago.

 

“MeeMee-ah...’Thehun’ will work hard and one day I’ll make a lot of friends and bring over all of them so that you can play doll house with them. They’re all going to be handsome. Just like Kai. I also promised you I would bring back your bracelet after I finished my test to prove that I won’t lose it. Thank you for the good luck charm. I’m sure I passed it,” he said, pulling down his wrist to reveal a pink bracelet, braided evenly with beads of many shapes.

 

He gently got up and walked over to his father’s side, bowing on his knees without looking up.

 

“Dad...thank you for raising Meena and I for so long by yourself. Even after mom left us, you stayed strong for us. You were sometimes really harsh on me but I know you did it so that I would learn. There’s so much I am thankful for. I grew up to be like this all because of your teachings and love. Thank you dad...say hello to mom for me while you’re up there. Take good care of Meena too. I’m going to miss you guys.”

 

Sehun sat up as the rain continued pouring. He stood up and cried into his elbow. This time, Tao had come to hug him. Suho tip-toed while trying to cover them both with an umbrella. But it was useless because the rain had already drenched everybody.

 

“We should go before we are found by other rebels,” said D.O.

 

Sehun released from Tao and sniffled, taking the umbrella from Suho’s hands.

 

“Can I change and get something from inside first?” he asked, nudging to his house.

 

I nodded, and we all followed him inside.

 

“Kai, my dad washed some of your clothes on that day and told me to bring it to you but I forgot to. It should be on the couch. You guys can go ahead and do whatever you want,” said Sehun, navigating his way through the thoroughly looted home.

 

I made my way over to a broken picture frame on the floor. Picking it up and flipping it around, I saw a baby picture of Sehun. He had the same smile he did now and his father who looked much younger surprised me. Maybe because it was how alive he was compared to the cold blue he was now.

 

I set it on the broken chair and sat down on the ripped couch. Suho and D.O joined me and I took out my guitar. Slowly, I moved my hand back and forth between each string, testing it out before I played whatever came to mind.

 

I started out slowly plucking different notes to form a slow paced pop ballad. D.O began to sing random lyrics while Suho joined in the background. I harmonized with them both and slowly, I became mesmerized within the music.

 

I was pursuing a music career, practicing everyday and doing auditions until I received the letter a month ago. Then I began working for the rebel army. It was hard to push music aside and serve especially when my precious guitar was confiscated. Those days working for the army was one of the darkest and loneliest days of my life. Today, right now was the first time I heard music since then.

 

Music is a blessing for me…

 

Opening my eyes the song which seemed to be getting near to an end, I strummed the last chords and stopped. I turned around to look at Sehun, Kai and Tao clapping behind us.

 

“That was beautiful!” exclaimed Tao.

 

I chuckled a bit.

 

“Let’s go guys...we really should leave before we’re caught…” said D.O silently. I got up along with Suho and him, taking a big stretch before putting my guitar back in it’s protective case.

 

Right when I finished zipping it up, I heard loud voices and stomping. We all froze and hid quickly behind the door to a big closet. There really was no point in hiding considering the fact that most of us here had some unique power but we needed to get away quietly without them able to track us. I heard some shuffles and the sounds of something crunching under my feet before the stampede of soldiers ran by, passing the closet. Something burned within me and my anger began to grow. I brought up my hands, and my fist became engulfed in flames. I wasn’t even surprised. The others though, instantly pinned themselves against the walls and away from me in a record time.

 

“Ch-Chanyeol! What are you trying to do?! Kill us?!” whispered D.O loudly.

 

There was silence and my eyes caught onto something on the walls of the big closet. I brought my hands up to the walls and the first thing I noticed were the messy handwritings of a child in hangeul. I heard a tiny gasp coming from behind me and Sehun’s hands traced along the letter, taking in every single character.

 

Sehun...Meemee is doing good! I learned how to write your name today! Daddy and I miss you! Are you doing okay? I hope I see you again!

 

I moved my hand down and saw now a much neater handwriting in a smaller font. The message was longer than the first one and I could only infer the message to be from Sehun’s father before reading it.

 

Sehun-ah, wherever you are right now, I hope you’re safe and that Kai is safe too. We’ve been in this closet for days and there are many rebel’s roaming the streets. Try to be careful and not pick any fight! Yesterday they looted our house and I had to beat up those two soldiers. They said something about how ‘Sehun is a culprit and non-human’. You are my son and I KNOW that you would NEVER do anything to harm civilians. If you’re reading this and we’re no longer here, I hope you’ll be safe and take good care of yourself. I’ll try my best to take care of Meemee. I love you son. Survive for me. I believe in you!

 

Tears had begun to form in my eyes and the red-orange flames in my palm reflected in Sehun’s eyes, dancing. I heard loud shouts coming from outside and then the heavy boots and stompings left. It was silent again before I opened the door quietly and carefully. We all stepped out except for Sehun who had his palms the characters on the wall. I looked at the floor and there were blankets, ramyun bags and crumbs of food. This must’ve been where they were hiding before they were found.

I took a breath, the fire in my palm dying out in less than a second. D.O patted Sehun’s back and whispered in the softest voice I would never forget.


“You will be alright. You will be alright. Everything will be alright. Oh Sehun, you will be alright.”