eight.

Devilish Attraction

Chapter 8

Things did not go easy after the break. It seemed the school was waiting for Hyukjae to come to school before calling Donghae and the blonde to address the rumor spreading around on the ground.

The just reconciled couple was called right when they stepped into their class after the bell had rung. Through the amplifier in the class, which meant the entire school heard the called out. Donghae groaned before he walked back out, Hyukjae in tow. They stopped in front of the principal’s room and Donghae breathed in deep to get scowl off his face before he knocked the door. Showing defiance would not make the situation better.

When they were given permission, they walked in, one after another, and stood side by side with their heads bowed in front of the principal. The head of discipline was present, standing next to the principal who was seated behind her metal desk, piles of papers to one side and a picture frame on the other.

“I’ll get straight to the matter for the both of you. Wouldn’t want the best students to miss lesson too much,” the principal said and Donghae looked up first at her, giving a thin smile and a nod to show he appreciated the praise. Hyukjae gave a curt nod and only flicked his eyes on her for a brief second before they gazed on her clasped hands which remained on the desk. “There has been a wild rumor going around and it has come to my attention after it has been buzzing for three days now. It is speculated that the two of you made some kind of agreement before taking the quiz last week. Is this true?”

Donghae had an inkling that Hyukjae relied on him to answer, either admitting to the false accusation or deny it. No matter what, the truth would never be plausible, and it would also make Hyukjae guilty in some way.

“No, Principal Hwang. We did not have any sort of agreement before taking the paper,” Donghae said. There was not, Hyukjae never agreed to what he did.

“Yes, Mr. Lee Hyukjae?”

Hyukjae nodded, seemed slightly hesitating, though only Donghae could see it, “Yes, Principal. I never would have allowed anything like what is rumored to happen.”

The principal then sighed and leaned back, “Good, I am glad the things I’ve heard are not true. But we need to stop things from spreading. So, we have suggestions.”

Hearing the principal suggested that Donghae and Hyukjae should not act too close just to stop the rumor made the president almost snap. ‘How dare she and the head of discipline suggest such a thing?’ Donghae relaxed himself, “I’m sorry, Principal Hwang, but I do not think that is a way out of this. Unless you are saying we should stay away from each other forever, which I hope you’re not. If we stay a bit not as close as we are now and then later on starts to get closer again, the rumors will be bigger.”

“Yes, Principal, I agree with President Lee. I think the best way is to not address the rumor and let it dissipate by itself,” said Hyukjae, and Donghae was silently liking the way the blonde had called him ‘President Lee’.

“Very well, then. We will give it a while and let it die down. You both may leave now.” The two bowed before exiting the room, trying not to seem too eager to leave.  

When they were a bit further from the principal’s room, Donghae huffed, stopping in the middle of the corridor lined with empty laboratories. Hyukjae turned around and stared at him, “What?”

“I’m slightly pissed off. Mind you, it is hard to keep a façade up at all times,” Donghae said, giving his face a rub before sighing and composing himself. Only when he looked up did he saw Hyukjae staring at him, his head slightly tilted and a something akin to a mixture of amusement and confusion on his face. “What?”

The blonde shrugged, “No idea. But, I feel somewhat happy to not see the ‘perfect’ you, always the one grinning, always the one full of respect and discipline. I have to admit, seeing this side of you make me like you more.”

Donghae laughed, his attention averted to Hyukjae’s proclamation, “Really?”

A red shade started creeping up Hyukjae’s neck and up to his cheek, “Somewhat.”

“And all this time, I was trying to make you like me by being all rainbows and sunshine,” he laughed again, finding it ridiculous.

Hyukjae crossed his arms then, “You just look more human when you’re not all smiles and being all good and perfect. I can relate to this, scowls and frustration.”

Donghae walked to him and slung an arm around Hyukjae’s shoulder, steering him the other way to head back to class again. He was still chuckling, “I don’t know, Hyukkie. I think you have a kink.”

Hyukjae pushed Donghae away from him, his face scrunched up and he gaped for a second, “No, I don’t!”

Donghae placed a finger on his lips before he threw his hand around the blonde who looked like someone just told him his breakfast was made from dirt, “I think you do. Maybe you will tell me you like my smirk after this.” The blush that crept up all over Hyukjae’s face and the heat radiating from him nearly left Donghae speechless, “Oh gosh, you –”

Hyukjae stepped away from his arm again, and with still an obvious red face, said to him, “No,” before walking a little quicker ahead.

Donghae could not help himself. He grinned the widest grin in a long time and his eyes shined with clear fondness which he felt for Hyukjae, and then he jogged up to the blonde, wrapped an arm and pulled him in a quick one-arm hug. He felt a hand on his nape, just slightly dragging him closer. Donghae pulled back and kissed Hyukjae’s cheek while on his toes, feeling the flesh and muscles on the smooth face stretched, knowing his boyfriend was grinning just as wide as he was. He stared at the other for a moment, letting it all sink in. He had been imagining all this to be real for at least a couple years, he hoped, he had faith it would. And now, it became his reality but felt so surreal. He thought he would be above feeling that way, but still, everything was too good to be true.

Stepping back, the pair walked again, heading toward the staircases since their class was on another floor. Donghae’s arm stayed wrapped around the other’s nape, and this time, Hyukjae did not step away.

For that day and the next, things were just as usual, except for more smiles, more red faces and less whispers from the other students. Once, Donghae grabbed Hyukjae’s hand on that first day and held it for about three seconds before the blonde pulled his hand out and told him, “Not yet. Too early I think.” Donghae had pouted and said he had held the other’s hand on many occasions before, but he relented when Hyukjae said it was different because now it held a different meaning. So, Donghae settled for holding Hyukjae’s sleeve.

On Friday, Hyukjae agreed to follow Donghae after school, though, Donghae refused to tell him where they were going. School ended earlier than other days every Friday, so, at about 1:30pm, they were already heading out the gate, grateful that Donghae did not have any meeting. Hyukjae kept staring at him, but, Donghae only smiled and stayed silence, not about to spill anything as he dragged his boyfriend. Donghae really liked the thinking of Hyukjae as his.

When they stopped in front of a store, Hyukjae sighed, “What? Are you going to be like those romantic boyfriends on dramas and buy me ice cream? No, thank you, we could have bought this near the school, although some students might see us. So, I get your reasoning.”

Donghae laughed, “Do you realize you talk so much when you are nervous, Hyukkie?”

“No, and I don’t,” Hyukjae stared at him, giving him an incredulous look.

Shrugging, Donghae said, “Maybe you don’t realize it. But, you do, I noticed it for a year now. It’s cute, though, I don’t get why you are nervous.”

Hyukjae blinked, his mouth gaping, “I’m not nervous,” before tucking one hand into his pants’ pocket.

Donghae pat his arm, a smile lingering on his lips, “Anyway, we’re not here to buy ice cream. I come here every Friday since there is extra time.”

“But, why –” before Hyukjae was given a chance to finish what he was about to ask, another voice cut him off.

“Oh, Donghae, you’re here.”

Hyukjae turned his eyes on a woman with short hair and eyes that he definitely should recognize standing in front of them, holding the door opened. Donghae waited for the realization to dawn on him, and the second Hyukjae’s tilted head went to straight up and his hand was pulled out of his pocket, Donghae smiled and greeted the lady, “Hi, mom.”

It took Hyukjae a few seconds as he seemed to found it hard to say anything, or close his mouth, “Hello, Donghae’s mother,” he bowed and then his eyes chose to look at the ground instead of meeting anyone’s.

“Hi, you are Donghae’s friend, right?”

Donghae, nodding with a high level of enthusiasm, placed his hand on Hyukjae’s shoulder, “Lee Hyukjae, meet my mother, Kim Hyangsook, and mom, meet my special friend, Lee Hyukjae.” His mother smiled adoringly while Hyukjae bowed his head again before glancing to look at Donghae. A smirk, reserved for his boyfriend to see, adorned Donghae’s face.

“You can call me ‘mom’, Hyukjae.”

Blood rushed to Hyukjae’s face, twice rapidly than usual. His eyes widened and he gulped. A second later, though, Donghae noticed the tears welling up in his eyes before Hyukjae blinked as if it never happened, “Yes, mom,” he offered his smile, all teeth and gums and his coloured cheeks clearly tugged Donghae’s mother’s heart.

“Good. So, are you going to help me as well then, Hyukjae?”

Hyukjae nodded, eager, his smile not faltering, “Anything I can do for you.”

Hyangsook ruffled Hyukjae’s hair fondly, “So nice of you. Donghae will tell you what you can do, I need to go back behind the counter,” she gave the two another grin before going back inside.

Donghae was quick to catch on what really had transpired. Hyukjae had never met his own mother before, after she died while giving birth to him – the blonde never told him before, but, being the student council’s president did mean Donghae had some perks. He smiled; knowing that he was right to let Hyukjae met his mom. The other must be thirsty of a mother’s love, lots of love and cherish. Donghae intended on bathing Hyukjae with all he lacked.

Donghae clapped his hand, making Hyukjae jumped, “Okay! Let’s do some work.”

Hyukjae followed him as he took off his bag and blazer. Donghae held out his hand to take Hyukjae’s things with him and asked the other to wait for him there as he went inside. When he came back with cleaning supplies, Hyukjae scoffed but his lips still had a smile on. Readily, he took one of the two pails filled with all sorts of equipment.

First, Hyukjae swept the tiled ground surrounding the store. The store was not big, but it stood alone, and a few feet of the exterior’s ground, all around it, were covered with tiles. There were a few tables and chairs for people to sit and eat. Donghae wiped the glass walls of it, sometimes checking on Hyukjae and smiling as the boy seemed to focus on cleaning and happy to do it as well. Once, Donghae turned to continue wiping the glass and saw his mother giving him a knowing smile. He grinned at his mother and shrugged.

When done with the sweeping, Hyukjae cleaned the tables after several customers left. Admirably, he still had the determination to wipe off a very tough stain on one of them. Donghae shoved him a box of banana juice when he saw him huffed out a relief breath. Hyukjae grinned, thanking him. As the blonde was drinking, Donghae used a clean towel to wipe his sweaty forehead before wiping his own face. It all felt so domestic, so at home to be doing things like it. They ate ramen at the store before they said ‘bye’ to mom and left to head home when it was nearing 5pm.

Silence enveloped them as they walked side by side, but it felt comfortable. No words needed to be exchanged. Suddenly, rain pelted on them. Hyukjae, having his school blazer folded over his arm, hurriedly used it to cover their heads, as Donghae forgot his at the store. Unknown to the other, Donghae was quite grateful he left it, seeing as he was in Hyukjae’s embrace. They ran into the first bus stop they saw and huddled under the one coat. They both looked up at the sky at the same moment, their heads leaning together. At first, they moved away slightly and stared at each other. Then, they stopped caring and leaned on again.

Cold hand abruptly took hold of Donghae’s, clasping his tightly and heat spread between their fingers. Donghae almost wished the rain would not stop.

“What am I feeling? Am I in love?”

The question came swiftly, and Donghae smiled, “You are seeking comfort, needing warmth. That’s the obvious part. But, you are also all smiling, and you felt comfortable enough to seek what you need from me. You know, or have an inkling that you can trust me, and you want to believe I can provide you what you need. So, I am not sure if I can say you are in love. But, I can say you are feeling loved and you don’t want to lose it.”

Hyukjae nodded, “I can accept that as logical, I think.”

But, eventually, after about an hour, the rain did stop. Hyukjae took the blazer off both of them, holding it in his hand. Donghae ruffled his own black hair which was almost dry and he caught the blonde staring. He kept quiet about it, knowing Hyukjae would not admit it.  Again they strolled in comfortable silence. This time, Donghae was not gripping Hyukjae’s sleeve, nor was Hyukjae holding his hand. Their hands remained at their side, and, more times than not, their hands brushed each other’s until Donghae hooked one finger around the blonde’s thumb.

They said their goodbyes and shared one half-hug before Hyukjae entered his house.

 

It was almost dark when Hyukjae walked into his house, hairs slightly damp and ruffled. He could not get rid of the tug at the corners of his lips. He almost reached the stairs to his room when all of a sudden a voice stopped him in his track.

“You are late, son.”

Hyukjae rolled his eyes at his father’s way of addressing him, “You don’t care usually,” he said as he took one step onto the stair.

“Of course, I do. I need to watch your back for you.”

“Oh please. You are just looking after yourself,” he climbed up, all traces of a smile gone from his face.

“Don’t get too close, Hyukjae. I don’t want anyone else in this house.”

The blonde stopped, his heart hammering, and finally looked at his father, who he found staring outside the glass door. He his suddenly dried lips, “You don’t get close. Besides, I never have the desire to bring anyone in here, with you hiding things or not.”

“I am warning you nicely now, son. You remember what happened to the last person that you got close to before? I’m sure you don’t want a repeat of event. Now, get change. I don’t want my only heir to get sick.”

Hyukjae shuddered, before he glared at his father and stomped up the stairs, leaping two or three steps at a time. He slammed the door hard, throwing his blazer and bag onto the bed. He closed his eyes and tried to calm his breath. Then, he went to his window, sliding the curtains aside. It did not took him long to see Donghae, who seemed to be biting his fingernails before he saw Hyukjae. Donghae waved at him and he waved back, mouthing ‘go home safely’ to the other.

Hyukjae watched as the raven haired president disappeared as he turned at a corner. He placed his hand on the glass, and a dry sob left his mouth, his body quivered, as he thought of what he had lost and what he might have to lose next.


Well claps because i updated this after a week and not after a year xD jokes on me. Donghae has his backstory, so I think it's almost time for me to tell Hyukjae's. We'll see what I have in store on the next chapter, because I too don't know what will happen hehehe. Anyway, sorry because I posted another eunhae story! I mean come on! I barely update the ones I have posted and now I posted another one?! I need to start controlling myself. But, I couldn't. Anyway, the story is here, if you wish to check it out of course /grins and blinks/. I will of course be updating DA more than the new story, this story is my prority right now. Another things, just a tip, if you see me replying your comment, it means an update is about to come. And if you say the right things, you might get a little answer. Okay, that's all. Love cookies for all of you!