five.

Devilish Attraction

Chapter 5

School was the same for every other student, teachers and all its occupants; all except for two of them.

Since the night Hyukjae followed Donghae, things for them had changed, though anyone else might not notice unless they look closely. Unlike before when Donghae walked up in front of the class to answer the Mathematic question, Hyukjae smiled and genuinely clapped for him when he got it correct. When it was Hyukjae’s turn to answer a question correctly, the claps were dimmer – not like Hyukjae expected any from his so-called-classmates – but one student in particular clapped the loudest he could; Lee Donghae applauded him so loudly the teacher stared at the school president with a raised brow.

Unlike when recess was a very quiet occasion, the two boys now had real conversations during it. Though mostly Donghae do the talking, Hyukjae would listen intently, truly engross in whatever topic they were on, and would add his own opinion – or sometimes question – about it. Hyukjae couldn’t deny that he liked talking when it came to Donghae.

One thing they had both silently agreed with themselves was to never bring the issue of Donghae’s night activity up into the conversation. Secretly though, they were each anticipating for the time the subject be brought up by the other.

Sometimes, on the day Donghae had board meeting, Hyukjae would stay after school. He would go to the library and finished up his homework. If he had more time, he would do some revision. Then, when the meeting was done they would walk home together. It was a one-time request by Donghae, but Hyukjae got used to it and added it to his routine list.

After a month, their monthly assessment started. Unlike before when Donghae whispered ‘Good Luck’ to Hyukjae who sat behind him during the test, they looked at each other, fisted their hands and said ‘Fighting’ when Donghae turned to pass the papers to Hyukjae. Donghae had never grinned so much until it hurt before.

The result was out and pasted on the school’s main board. Hyukjae had been staring at it for ten minutes since school ended. He was startled when Donghae, who had been looking for him, placed a hand on his shoulder.

“You know it won’t change even if you burn a hole in it with your eyes,” Donghae said, patting the other’s shoulder.

Hyukjae shrugged off his hand and stared at him with narrowed eyes, “Maybe, but at least I don’t have to see your name above mine anymore.”

Donghae chuckled, “You do realize the school has a record of that and will print it again, right?”

Hyukjae sighed, “I know. How do you always get 1st place, anyway?”

“By working hard.”

“Really? Or do you just go into the teacher’s room and change it? We all know you have access to it at any time.”

Donghae pouted and crossed his arms, placing it on his chest, “How could you think of me so low, Hyukkie?”

“Well, I’m sure that I study a lot more than you do since you’re always so busy, day and night, so…” Hyukjae said nonchalantly and then swallowed, “Look, Hae, I don’t mean it, okay? I was joking, alright? I never meant that you would do such a thing, really,” he grabbed Donghae’s arm, trying to pry it to open the tight fold of arms.

“You suggested that I cheated when I didn’t!” Donghae nearly shouted and turned away.

“Hae, I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean it.”

“But you said it, which means you mean it.”

Hyukjae sighed exasperatedly and then turned the other way, “Fine, then, if you don’t believe me!” he said before walking away.

Donghae looked behind him and his eyes widened when he saw Hyukjae walking down the hallway, leaving him. “Hyuk – ” he wanted to call and chase the boy when one of the members of the school board meeting tapped him on his shoulder.

“Donghae, the meeting is going to start. Come on.”

“B-but…” Donghae let out a long sigh as he stared at Hyukjae’s back, getting further away, “Let’s go, Sungjae,” he said while walking down the opposite way Hyukjae had taken.


Hyukjae tried to read the book again and finally gave up when he still couldn’t understand the theory it was trying to explain. He slammed the book, though not so harshly and tossed it onto the desk. He stretched out his arms and legs before throwing his head back, letting it hung while he stared at the ceiling. He only managed to get one work done after being in the library for an hour. He closed his eyes.

When he opened them again, he was so shocked to see another face so close to his, eyes looking down at him, Hyukjae jumped out of his seat and accidentally banged his head against whoever’s forehead that was so close to his mouth.

“Aww,” both of them moaned. A loud ‘shh’ was heard coming from every direction. In unison, they moaned ‘aww’ again in a hushed tone.

Hyukjae looked up and was not-so-surprised to see, “Donghae?”

He received a glare from the said boy who continued to do it before gesturing Hyukjae to follow him outside.

They walked, Donghae leading, and didn’t say a word to each other until they were out of the school gate.

“Sorry,” Hyukjae said, his voice low.

“For what?” Donghae asked as they continued walking at a slightly slower pace.

“Knocking your head.”

“It was fine.”

“You shouldn’t look at me so close like that, you know.”

Donghae shrugged, “I was just checking whether you were asleep.” Without Hyukjae knowing, Donghae was biting his lip, chewing on it slightly and his cheeks turned slightly pink. He had been staring at Hyukjae’s lips just now.

Silence enveloped them and Donghae’s blush slowly went away.

Donghae suddenly stopped walking and moved slightly to the side. Hyukjae seemed to not realize it as he looked at the ground. Donghae placed his hand on the other’s shoulder as he walked passed him, effectively stopping Hyukjae from walking.

“What?” Hyukjae asked, confused why they were stopping.

Donghae swung his arm around Hyukjae’s neck and rested it on his shoulder, urging Hyukjae to start moving again.

After another minute of deafening silence, Donghae said, “You shouldn’t go away when your friend is sulking, you know?”

“What?” again Hyukjae asked.

“I said, you shouldn’t go away when your friend is sulking, like what you did just now,” Donghae calmly explained to him.

“Sorry,” Hyukjae sounded defeated.

“I don’t need nor want your sorry. I wasn’t even sulking for real just now.”

Hyukjae raised a brow at him, “Then why did you acted that way?”

“To see what you would do. Seriously, I didn’t expect you to walk away. That was worst case scenario,” Donghae chuckled, finding how Hyukjae reacted amusing though heart-breaking. “You shouldn’t leave a friend in that state.”

“Well, as you obviously know, I never had lots of experience with friends before. Truthfully, I found the way you sulk just now a bit annoying, though I felt bad for making you sulk like that,” Hyukjae admitted.

Donghae nodded while he smiled, “I know, Hyukkie. But you feeling bad actually mean you do care. So, I declare you passed the test, though without flying colours.”

Hyukjae finally cracked a grin, “Okay. So, do I have the potential to pass with flying colours next time?”

“Hmm…” Donghae tapped his chin with a finger, “You need some oil because you are a bit rusty in this friendship thing, but yes, I do think you have the potential.”

“Excellent! I’ll try not to let you down… friend.”

Donghae grinned widely along with Hyukjae.

Not long after, they arrived in front of Hyukjae’s house. Donghae dropped his arm, accidentally, or maybe not so accidentally, brushing his hand with the other’s.

“Bye, Hae.”

Donghae waved at Hyukjae who was shutting the gate, then stopped, “Wait.”

Hyukjae opened the small gate again, “What?”

Again Donghae chewed on his lip for a moment before asking, “Does being first means a lot to you?”

Hyukjae tilted his head, surprised by the unexpected question. He thought about it for a while. “I won’t say it means a lot. But, I’ll say it’s a small victory if I get to beat you for once in years,” he smirked at Donghae, “Why the sudden question?”

“Nothing. Just want to know. Besides, we are having a ‘surprise’ Mathematic test next week. Maybe you can try beating me in that. Bye, Hyukkie,” he waved again, a huge smile on his face.

Hyukjae nodded and then gaped, “Did you just tell me about – “

“I told you nothing. Bye.”

Hyukjae still stared at him until a big grin formed on his face and again he nodded, “Bye.” He shut the gate and waved before heading toward the door.

Donghae left once the door was closed.

‘Whatever for you, Hyukkie.’


True enough, there was a surprise Mathematic test on the next Wednesday since the monthly assessment result for the subject was bad on average. Hyukjae had made sure he had all he needed and even a little more intense study on it. He glanced at Donghae when it was announced and he smiled when he saw the other staring back.

The result came out two days after and Hyukjae waited until the school ended and most of the students had went home before going to the main board to check the result.

Donghae found him with his mouth opened and his eyes wide and not blinking. The school president waved his hand in front of Hyukjae's face but that didn’t catch his attention. He turned Hyukjae’s face toward him and kissed his lip with passion.

Donghae mentally slapped himself because of his thought. ‘You shouldn’t be thinking of kissing him right now. Ugh!’ He shook his head.

He tapped Hyukjae’s shoulder, “Hyukkie, you okay?” Donghae asked while he used his hand to closed Hyukjae’s mouth.

Suddenly, he found himself engulfed in a set of arms.

“I got first, Hae! I got the highest score!” Hyukjae jumped while hugging Donghae and the boy gladly joining him in the little celebration. They were jumping with each other’s arms around each other; fortunately no one was walking down the hallway they were in.

“You did, huh? Finally, you beat me and this is your little victory celebration?”

“Yes! Oh I’m sorry but I’m just so glad that this is actually possible.”

“It’s okay. As a friend, we should celebrate when one of us achieve something like this.” And the both of them continued jumping around until they fell to the floor, out of breath.

‘I guess a little sacrificed means nothing if I get to hug you like that again, Hyukkie’ Donghae mused silently while he grinned.


Well hello there dear readers. That's my cotton candy for you all. Sorry for taking so long to update. 2 months... ahhh I'm a bad author. I do hope you enjoyed the chapter. Comments are loved and makes me feel loved.