War of the World

Short stories (Bigbang)

 

 

Jiyong POV

My eyelids are heavy, what are they doing? Argh… The pain is immense, my sight is blurry. I couldn’t see a thing but a few blurry images. Just as I am going to wake up, I was unconscious again.

ARGH! The sudden brightness caused me to open up my eyes.

Tables, tools, broken chairs and a huge lamp shinning at me.

Wait… What?

I am inside an operation theatre. Where is this place? Why am I here? I continued to explore the surroundings and accidentally pressed a button. My hands retracted back quickly, thinking that the alarm or something might go off. Instead, the door opened.

“Hello? Is someone out there?” I called out and was hoping if there’s someone out there and explain what is happening right now. I stumbled across the corridor and saw rooms and more rooms. The thing was that there’s no one inside the rooms, not even patients.

It seems like a post-apocalyptic situation. Fear seems to be lingering in the air. I started to feel uneasy. Wait, I heard someone breathing. He got to be nearby.

The last thing that I remembered was a week ago I was celebrating my birthday at the pub. Then something happened.

My head…. I clutched my head as the pain is back.

Is this a prank? If yes, I hope someone will appear and tell me that is this a belated birthday prank.

Human! I saw a human. I quickly moved towards that person that is lying on the floor. He’s still breathing! I quickly checked for identity or things that are useful at least.

“Hey… can you hear me?” I called out to him but he’s not responding. I shook him even harder. A scar on the nape of his neck. Suddenly he got up lunged towards me. His teeth were sharp slowly it turned into something inhumane. Gross, I thought.

 I knew I was dead since I am weak and vulnerable with no offensive weapon.

Nothing came. Was I dead? Something slimy dripped onto my clothes. I opened my eyes and saw a guy piercing through the head of the creature with a spear. Blood was splattered everywhere, even on my face there are stains of blood. I screamed but to be muffled by his hands. I was trembling and scared.

“What are you doing out here? Do you know it is dangerous to walk around openly like this? Let’s go before the mutants find us.” He grabbed my hand while asking me.

“I woke up to find no one…”

“What? Do you even know what is happening?” he cuts me off and looked at me shockingly.

I shook my head. He seems like he is searching for something on my body.

“Take off your shirt; I need to confirm something before I tell you what I know.”

My eyes narrowed when I heard that, something grave must have happened. I took of my shirt and I saw a mark on my body. My eyes widened and dropped my shirt.

“What the hell?” I gaped in horror part of my torso was not covered up with skin. I saw my muscles contracting and expanding. What a sickening sight. I couldn’t stomach what I just saw. But strangely, there was no pain. I touched the muscles and it feels rather smooth with only a few bumps here and there.

“So… it seems like you are also one of us.” He sighed and told me what happened.

“A week ago there were reports of mutants appearing around countryside area, near the forest. It seems like the white queen had gone out of control. The mutants were let out of the underground laboratory.  The mutants were quick and soon the town was wiped out and it continued to spread. Almost one-third of the mankind was killed by now. We are part of the experiment specimen too, who were injected with the T-virus and the equipped with different abilities. The result of the failed experiments turns into a mutant that attacks the mankind. Anyway it seems like you have a hardening ability. Let’s not stay here any longer. We need to get back to the hideout as fast as possible and counter back.”

After hearing what he had said, my mouth gaped and I couldn’t believe that one-third of the mankind was wiped out. It’s like listening to a story but the only difference is that it is real and I’m in it.

 “By the way why are you wearing such clothing? I cannot believe there are people wearing such clothing in the Year 2114.”

I gasped when I heard that.

“Wait! Which year are we in right now?”

“2114. Why?”

“Are you sure that we aren’t in 2014?” I wanted to confirm again. I couldn’t have slept for an entire century.

“Yes how many times do I have to repeat?” He’s starting to get pissed off right now.

100 years had passed? I slept through the whole century without anyone disturbing me? Sick, this is sickening joke. Then, I looked back at him. Under his eyes there were 2 huge dark circles around it.

I bet he didn’t sleep for 100 years like I do.

I thought while following him tightly, in fear of getting lost.

“What’s your name by the way?” he asked.

“Jiyong.” I replied curtly.

“Seungri.” he responsed.

 “We have arrived.” He announced and signaled for me to go in.  

 

Welcome to the Red Queen’s hideout.

 

This story is inspired by resident evil (because I love horror,mystery and thrilling movies and books) but I made little changes here and there. Hope you will like it. Comments are loved.