Chapter Twenty Four

I Know It's Cliché...


It all seemed easy. Choosing, that is. Jongdae assumed the actual delivery of who he was picking would be as easy as it was in his head with no worries. But obviously, as life likes to do, it was harder than that. Seeing the quizzical looks of both males before him had struck some type of nerves into his body and he found himself having a dry mouth and not being able to form words. He wondered in his mind why it couldn't be like the movies - all the characters on screen seemed to be so calm and collected, oblivious of the heartbreak they could cause. Almost as if it didn't matter to them. Jongdae wished he had that demeanor and not that of a shy teen.

His mind told him that having a long distance relationship would be easier for him; he could say he's dating someone and then no more questions would be asked and he'd be free from some sorts of public humiliation. However, it'd all be too easy for that to happen. The other option was the cliche option of following what he thought his heart wanted but the underline fear of people attacking him for the person he chose scared him deep down and although he wouldn't admit it ever, the thoughts almost made him choose the other way. 

He coughed a dry, lengthened cough and rubbed his sweaty palms together. Stretching slightly, he breathed in a put his best smile on, "Yifan...Baekhyun."

The other males' ears perked and both stared at him with anticipating eyes as he sighed, "I....I'm sorry Yifan but something like what we'd have isn't for me."

It was obvious to see that Kris' mood and hopes had been dampened and that Baekhyun broke out into a massive smile. Not wanting tears, Jongdae hugged Kris and whispered in his ear, "You deserve someone who can make you happy everyday of the year, not every so often. If ever you need anything, anything, just drop me a text, okay?"

Kris nodded and hugged back for a prolonged amount of time before rubbing Jongdae's back, releasing his grip and making his way to the impending taxi. Refusing to speak until the cab had gone, Jongdae watched as it drove down the road. Not caring if Kris saw or not, he waved until the taxi rolled out of view. 

"So."

The silence Jongdae had created was broken by Baekhyun and the aforementioned turned to see the Cheshire grin on the smaller male, "So..."

As if wanting to ignore another impending silence, Baekhyun went and hugged Jongdae, pecking him on the cheek, "You chose me...over Kris...The Kris."

Jongdae rubbed the back of his own neck awkwardly, laughing slightly, "And I chose The Baekhyun over him. Don't knock yourself."

The joke caused the two to laugh and follow up into a hug. Unlike the one with Kris that gave of the feeling of regret and sadness, hugging Baekhyun made Jongdae feel security hope. The feeling of two hands he knew so well wrapped around his frame comforted him in ways only his mother could make him feel. The hug lasted a while, neither of them wanting to let each other go, not for the time being at least. 

"Do you want to come to my house?" Baekhyun asked, pulling away - trying to find a new topic, "I mean, for dinner."

Jongdae thought for a moment before nodding, shoving his hands in the pockets of his black hoody.

~

Baekhyun took Jongdae to a different house than he remembered - Victoria and her family weren't in sight. After a small conversation the younger learnt that Baekhyun's grandmother had offered to house her grandson and she felt it would've been her son's wish for her to do so. Baekhyun didn't go into details as to why she didn't come forward sooner but Jongdae didn't want to ask questions.

As they walked through the door Baekhyun and Jongdae were showered by kisses and hugs by a sturdy-looking elderly woman who seemed to have a small smile on her face, "Baekhyun, where did you go? I was worried - you didn't tell me!"

"I told you I was going to see Jongdae," Baekhyun laughed slightly in response, "And then I invited him home."

Baekhyun's grandmother's face lit up, "Is he joining us for dinner?"

Baekhyun nodded and Jongdae could only watch as the old woman clapped her hands together; her smile widening, "Oh, the first of Baekhyun's friends! Are you Jongdae?"

Jongdae nodded slowly, keeping behind Baekhyun as if it was a defence mechanism. Again, the elderly woman smiled, "Baekhyun's told me so much about you...you're really special to him, I hope you know that."

Both males could feel themselves blushing faint pink hues and Baekhyun smiled at Jongdae somewhat awkwardly, a hand motioning towards the stairs, offering the younger to go the upper floor. Jongdae took the hint and bowed to the woman and strode up the stairs followed closely by Baekhyun who shouted something about being down soon when dinner was done. As the couple sat on the bed Baekhyun sighed and shook his head, "I'm sorry about her... I forgot how excited she can get when she meets my friends - I hadn't introduced her to one since I was seven."

Jongdae laughed and waved his hand in a dismissive way, "It's fine, she reminds me of my mother so I guess you could say I'm used to it in some ways."

Baekhyun responded with a laugh of his own before turning to his boyfriend, "She knows about us, by the way, but she's too kind and won't bring it up to you that she knows just in case you're embarrassed."

Jongdae blinked a few times - nobody, not even Taewon, had showed him this much kindness. Most bragged when they got close to him because of his voice and now all of a sudden he was being treated as a 'normal' student again. He smiled at Baekhyun and thought nice thoughts to himself. 

Maybe he had made the right choice after all.


OKAY SO I KNOW IT'S BEEN LIKE 3 MONTHS SINCE THE LAST UPDATE BUT HELLO YES I'M BACK c:

I hope this update makes up for the hiatus (though it probably won't) and hopefully I'm getting somewhat better at not rushing things~

Please Comment/Subscribe/Upvote and until the next update~!