Chapter Two

I Know It's Cliché...


Just as they had decided, Jongdae and his mother located the nearest ice cream parlour and ordered an ice cream cake between them after the school day was out. Neither had been in the mood to decide with individual flavour they wanted, so they just decided to share a chocolate/strawberry flavoured cake. As his mother dug into her first slice, Jongdae looked around outside of the window they sat by, watching people go by and creating fake backstories for them. One funny looking man who wore a weird hat suddenly became a spy for the government who was looking for a new hat so he became less noticeable. That's what he did when he was anxious to say the least, it soothed him for some odd reason. That and writing songs that expressed his emotions. He poked the cake with a fork from time to time, earning some confused look from his mother. She watch analytically as he prodded at the cake and took it apart, layer by layer. She coughed slightly to gain her son's attention, "Is something wrong?"

Jongdae looked down at the cake and shrugged, still prodding it, "I don't know."

Not satisfied with this answer, his mother still stared at him, "How was your first day?"

Jongdae looked up at her and gave her the tiniest of smiles, "It was...okay? A girl from SM, the group of the most popular people, showed me around today...and I made friends with someone from EXO? Also in SM."

His mother's eyes light up instantly and she gave him a grin, "Oh how wonderful! Hopefully they'll let you be one of them! Mr Lee told me they liked singers...why don't you sing for them?"

Jongdae's faced flushed with embarrassment and he shook his head quickly, "How about no? They'll probably reject me anyway."

"Nonsense! Jongdae your singing is incredible...trust me."

Those words hit Jongdae. Since he never had any friends and his older brother often went and lived with other family members due to the trouble he caused, his mother became his best friend. She loved every single aspect of him and he was grateful for it. He could tell her anything in confidence. Together, they liked to try out new things all the time. For example, after living in America for ten or so years, his mother became fluent in English. So in exchange for him teaching her Mandarin, she taught him English. Hell, the two of them even looked through newspapers to find pictures of men when Jongdae confided in her about his uality. She was that mother he treasured forever. Ever since he was young he was always singing songs for her.

Jongdae sighed in defeat, "Fine. If it makes you happy I'll sing to Hyoyeon or Minseok."

His mother raised an eyebrow, "Oh, so those are your new friends?"

Jongdae nodded, "Yeah...I also met a girl called Victoria, two other boys from EXO called Suho and Sehun and a boy from SHINee, Jonghyun."

"Ooooh, very good! You seem to be progressing into popularity quicker than I thought! Soon I'll have to call you...Mr Popular."

Jongdae groaned and his his head in the hood of his hoodie, "No you won't. Especially in puplic."

His mother laughed, "Tell you what, we'll bag this up and go home, so I can embarrass you further."

~

At home, Jongdae began to work on some English homework he had been set. Class A was apparently the class for the smart ones, so he expected it to be a little challenging. Truthfully he had wanted it to be little easier but when it rambled on about tenses he threw his pen across his room and admitted defeat. He got up and flopped onto his bed, exhausted already. 

"If this is just one piece of homework, imagine what it'll be like near the exams," He groaned, his head hitting the wall in frustration.

There was a ring at the door and Jongdae let his mother get it. It was probably someone for her anyway, plus even if he wanted to answer it his current energy levels wouldn't allow it. And even if he did manage to answer it he'd be unsocial to say the least.Through his door he could hear muffled voices and he was surprised enough that he recognised one of them. Vaguely, as if he heard it whilst walking past. His mother mentions something about getting him to the mystery person before shouting, "JONGDAEEEE~ ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS IS HERE."

Jongdae's limbs ached for relaxation as he got up and groggily walked to the door. From the top of the stairs he can clearly see who's there. It just so happened to be one of the singers from EXO, Bacon or something. His mother smiled as she sees him at the top, "Ah, Jongdae. Baekhyun's here."

Jongdae blinked a few times and he stepped down a few stairs cautiously, "Who?"

Baekhyun offered him a small, adorable smile, "I know we didn't speak today but I reaaaaaaally need help on this English homework and I heard your mom spent some time in America so I figured you'd be more of a help than Kris who's off with Tao probably ing him and Tiffany who seems to be all over Taecyeon from JYP."

Jongdae's mother clapped, "Perfect! Jongdae show Baekhyun to your room and you two can do some studying, I'll bring some snacks up an-"

Jongdae nodded, sighing, "Sure sure whatever. Follow me Bacon."

As they walked in Jongdae's room, the two had an awkward silence between them before Baekhyun piped up, "I like your room..."

Jongdae had a confused look on his face but it wasn't seen as he was getting his homework, "Er, thanks?"

His room wasn't big, but it wasn't small. It was...comfortable. Fully suited for Jongdae's needs. It had a TV attatched to the door which his bed was opposite. He had a large desk where his laptop was situated. He had a balcony too which had a small, worn down sofa on it. The walls of his room were lined with postsers of KPop groups and some banners of his old school. The colour of the room was a lavender hue - personally he'd want it to be a goldish colour but there wasn't any time to do it. It was warm and cosy, something Jongdae (and Baekhyun) loved.

As he turned, Baekhyun gave him that same cute smile, "No worries! I got stuck on the tense bit, did you?"

Jongdae sat beside Baekhyun on his bed and nodded, "Yeah...kinda. Its not hard but its not easy."

For the next tens of minutes the two spoke about school things as they tried to tackle the problem before them. Baekhyun really enjoyed Jongdae's dry sense of humour and his trolling ways and Jongdae loved Baekhyun's adorable attitude and cute personality. 

Baekhyun sighed after a few more minutes of staring down at his sheet with no ideas on how to tackle it coming to his head and turned to Jongdae, "Hey can I ask you a question?"

Jongdae nodded, not really paying much attention as he finally understood past tense, "Sure, fire away."

"Is it true you can sing?"

Although he wasn't ashamed of it, Jongdae didn't want to be known as the singing boy. In his last school he was that and everyone went crazy over it. Of course he was the only one in his group of friends who could sing so there wasn't anyone to rival him, but he still wanted to stay low...for a while at least. His eyes shot up and met Baekhyun's. A glare lingered between them, "Where'd you find that out from?"

Baekhyun gave him a childish smirk, "Taeyeon told me. She'd heard from Sunny who heard from Sooyoung who heard from Chanyeol who heard from Luhan who heard from Seohyun who heard from Jongin who heard from Hyoyeon who was told by Mr Lee that you could sing really well."

Jongdae blinked a few times and tilted his head in confusion trying to put names with faces, "Erm, yeah I sing...why?"

Baekhyun's eyes lit up and he bounced on the bed in happiness, "Yay! EXO needs another vocalist and we could use you! Onew, Joonmyun, Kris and Taeyeon like the look of you - in SM looks aren't important but it helps and and and and and!"

Jongdae made some slow down motions with his hands, "Hold up. You mean to tell me that the leaders of SM like me? I've been there for one day."

Baekhyun smiled and nodded, "Exactly! One day and you've already made a big impact on us! It took Krystal of the Jung Twins ages to get in whilst Jessica was accepted almost immediately! Come on! Just sing me a few lines..."

Jongdae sighed. This boy was clearly rushing him into things he'd prefer to wait on. He let the silence remain for a few prolonged seconds before clearing his throat, "What do I need to sing?"

Baekhyun shrugged, excitement rushing over his body, "Anything~!"

Sometimes SM's songs went on the radio or even on the TV depending on how good it was. He decided he'd sing a few lines from SNSD's Genie. After he was done Baekhyun clapped, "Okay so just do that for the leaders and woop! You'd be in."

Jongdae face broke out into a smile and he found himself nodding, "Y-Yay?"

For the next two hours the two spoke about other things and got to know each other, more than you'd expect two people do to on their first official day of knowing each other. They eventually got back onto the topic of how they found the school when Baekhyun's phone made a small ding noise. The older sighed and checked his phone, cursing under his breath, "Why now Yeollie? Of all the times..."

Jongdae tilted his head, "Who's Yeollie?"

"Chanyeol, my boyfriend."

"Oh."

The word boyfriend dealt a blow to Jongdae's heart. He mentally cursed at himself for getting jealous. 'You just met him, he told himself as he gave his hands some glares in some futile attempts to scold himself via these glares, 'Don't get jealous'.

Baekhyun got up and fiddled with his hair slightly before turning to Jongdae and smiling, "See you tomorrow ChenChen!"

Jongdae smiled at the nickname. He'd allowed Baekhyun to use it as he figured they were gonna end up being best friends from the way the day had progressed, "Bye Bacon~!"

As Baekhyun walked down the stairs and out of the door he shouted, "Bye Mrs Kim! Bye new best friend~~~!"

And with the slam of the door, Jongdae began seeing himself as a potential member of EXO.


Gah I feel like I'm rushing these ;-;

PLEASSSE Comment ;-; It shows me that people are actually reading this story and (hopefully) enjoying this. I command you to for all things Chen-like.

Till the next chapter~