What's This Feeling?

Breaking Into Your Shell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

DING DONG!!!

Hyerin looked at the clock on her living room wall before letting out a small sigh. It was 7 o’clock, and she herself just got home from a recording for barely 5 minutes. She hardly got to get home this early recently and she was hoping to have a good night rest snuggling with Oscar but that didn’t seem to happen now as she walked to get the door, wondering who could be visiting her on such a Tuesday evening.

“Sunbae-nim…?” It wasn’t a question at first as Hyerin wasn’t really surprised to see Ryeowook standing in front of her door. Well, let’s face it. She couldn’t help expecting one of her seniors to be the one ringing her door bell at a time like this considering how they got on somewhat friendly terms with each other lately. But the sour slash angry expressions he had on while folding his arms to his chest made her a little worried.

“If those idiots ask, tell them I’m not here.” Ryeowook snorted the moment Hyerin’s voice brought him out of his angry thoughts and back to earth before storming into her apartment and slumped into the couch squeezing her little pillow to his chest. Hyerin just stood there dumbfounded for a second before allowing a smile to appear on her tired face. Family Drama. For a moment there she felt like she was looking at herself from those years when she was just a little girl who made a big deal out of every little thing and always depended on her eonni to help her solve her problems. She hardly knew what it felt like to be a listener, if not a problem solver, so she let out another sigh as she decided to give this position a try.

“Umm, could you…tell me what happened?” Asked Hyerin cautiously as she settled down on one of her armchairs, only to be taken aback by the surprised look Ryeowook gave her, wondering if she shouldn’t have meddled in the first place. The sulky senior, on the other hand, was indeed surprised at her question as he thought she wasn’t interested in his problems. His original plan was only to seek refuge here for a while and return before Hyerin felt any more bothered by him. Thus, he was actually glad that finally there was someone who cared.

“I’m sick and tired of their stupid jokes, and how they treat me like a mere nobody.” Ryeowook started to fume again as he ranted, making the girl felt relieved seeing him decided to talk.

“What did they do exactly?” Hyerin tried again and this time glad to hear an immediate response.

“Heechul-hyung always says that my food messes up his taste buds. Hyukjae, Donghae, Shindong and Kangin-hyung like to say their conversations are not for kids. And Kyuhyunnie, that evil little Kyuhyunnie won’t stop pulling his stupid pranks on me. Sungmin-hyung and Henry even help him sometimes. THEY’RE HAVING FUN BULLYING ME. Well, to hell with their little fun. Nobody cares how I feel. I’m never important, anyway.”

“I…don’t think that’s how they really feel.”

“What do you know? They’re pure evil.”

“Hmm…not much. But if we come to think of it, wouldn’t they be better off with ignoring you rather than bullying you if you’re really not important?”

“Huh?”

“Look. Heechul sunbae-nim may have a foul mouth but I notice he always finishes his breakfast, not leaving even a tiny bit behind. As for the pranks, well, isn’t that because they understand you really well that they are able to make you fall for it? You know, things like your daily routines, your likes and dislikes or your typical reactions. They can succeed in pulling a prank only because you guys are that close. Right? Sunbae-nim only have to get back at them with your own pranks sometimes so they learn to keep it moderate.”

“But, but…” Started Ryeowook, feeling the need to protest, but couldn’t only pout as he couldn’t think of anything to say against that little theory of hers. Hyerin waited a little for him to finish his sentence, but seeing that it wouldn’t happen anytime soon, she continued.

“And about the teases. They may be teasing you this and that but you’re never actually left out on anything, are you? You’re still parts of their plans, their little discussions and all. See? How does that show that you’re a mere nobody? Sunbae-nim is obviously one of the most important people they’ve come to cherished.”

“R-really?”

“Really.” Said Hyerin giving him an assuring smile which seems to be contagious as Ryeowook, too, was smiling feeling assured.

“I see. Thank you, Hyerin-ah. And sorry for being so childish when I’m actually supposed to act like a proper senior.” Ryeowook scratched his head sheepishly as he felt slightly embarrassed about the whole quarrel thing.

“No, that’s actually a good thing that you guys get to fight and make up every now and then. It’s actually fun. In fact, I’m envious. People I once knew didn’t always get angry with me…”

“And what happened when they did?” Ryeowook curiously asked when he saw Hyerin trailed off with her last sentence, looking sad so suddenly.

“…We never made up.” Still lost in her own thoughts, Hyerin answered slowly, leaving the tiny guy to gasp in disbelief.

Kyuhyun who was leaning against the wall at the doorway let out a small sigh as he decided to walk into the spacious living room. He let them talk long enough. He actually ran after Ryewook when the guy suddenly stormed off earlier and only to walk in on their conversation as Hyerin forgot to close the door when she followed Ryeowook into the living room. At first, he made a mental note to scold the girl later for being so careless, but then was glad he got to hear their conversation. He could tell it was her first time helping someone with their personal problem, for she clearly looked nervous, but then her thoughtful speech made him feel nothing but proud. She’s not that bad in dealing with people after all. If put in the right position at the right time, that is. Too bad those people didn’t get to see this side of her. Their loss.

“Ahem.”

“Kyuhyun-shi?” Hyerin and Ryeowook immediately turned around, surprised at another presence inside the apartment.

“How the hell did you get in?” Barked Ryeowook the moment he registered who the person was, still feeling the remaining bit of anger towards the guy.

“The door’s left open. Very careful of you.” Kyuhyun scolded Hyerin a bit before turning to Ryeowook. “Come on, Ryeonggu. Let’s go back. The hyungs are waiting for you to have dinner together.”

“Why don’t you guys just start without me?”

“You know we wouldn’t. Come on. Or you wanna be lectured some more by a kid?” Hyerin chuckled a little seeing how Kyuhyun couldn’t play nice with his close friends for too long without throwing any mocking comments to get his ways.

“I –, ugh, fine.” And to Kyuhyun’s relief, Ryeowook finally gave in and stomped out of the room frustratingly, leaving the former to smirk before turning back to Hyerin and giving her a gentle smile.

“Thanks for earlier.”

“I didn’t really do anything.” Hyerin’s heart suddenly went BADUMP at the killer smile as she awkwardly denied his thanks.

“You know you did. But that doesn’t get you off the hook with the drooling pictures.” Kyuhyun showed his infamous smirk again when he remembered the non-existent pictures he claimed to have.

“You still have them?”

“Yep, and I’m thinking of using them to my advantage. How about you treating me to lunch tomorrow in return of me deleting them?” Kyuhyun knew he was playing with his luck when he brought the idea up. He nervously looked at Hyerin who was staring down at her feet seeming to be deep in thought.

“Fine. Lunch, that is. But I will only treat you to the food at the company’s cafeteria. No fancy food of any sort.” After 10 loooong seconds according to Kyuhyun, Hyerin turned back and agreed which made him almost jumped in joy, although he didn’t understand why he had to be so happy.

“That’s good enough. I’m never a picky eater, anyway.”

“That explains why you’re –”

“Don’t. Don’t you go there again.” Kyuhyun warned looking sulky as he knew what she was about to say.

“But I said it. In my mind. It’s not different, anyway.” It was Hyerin’s turn to show an evil smirk this time as she had quite some fun teasing him. She just realized recently that the “F” topic was tabooed for Kyuhyun proven by how sensitive he always got every time anyone mentioned the word around him. Consider that a little revenge for Ryeowook sunbae-nim.

“Yah, fat-head, you’re not coming?” Before Kyuhyun could retort back at her, Ryeowook came back and impatiently called out to him as the former had been waiting at the elevator long enough.

“Who are you calling fat-head? Yah, wait up, blockhead! Oh, Hyukjae-hyung’s birthday’s in two weeks. We’re throwing a party. You’d better show up.” Finishing his sentence, the magnae quickly chased after Ryeowook leaving Hyerin to laugh at them from behind. As she calmed down and settle on her couch, Oscar jumped onto her laps and she petted him lovingly while her mind was occupied by the lunch date she would have with Kyuhyun tomorrow, glad that she finally got a chance to do something nice for him for a change after he had helped her so much. Wait. A lunch date? No, no, no. It’s definitely not a date. No, it’s not. Don’t get ahead of yourself, Park Hyerin.

…………………………………

Early the next morning, Kyuhyun decided to give his sister a visit at the hospital and made sure to come back to the company before lunch time with Hyerin. During the visit, he also remembered to get the necessary information about Dr. Jung Hyojin that he asked his sister to find out. Well, Ara sure never disappointed her little brother as she managed to get friendly with her doctor and acquire some of her basic information like her birth place and such. Kyuhyun thanked his sister for her helped before making his way out of the hospital only to stop short at the lobby as he saw the said doctor staring at the TV screen playing the debut song of no other than Park Hyerin’s. Kyuhyun tilted his head a little in thought before deciding to walk closer to the female doctor who seemed to be completely immersed in the song or maybe lost in thoughts, not even realizing another presence standing so close to her.

“I wonder how she’s doing now…” The doctor let out an exhausted sigh as she murmured to herself when the song was over.

“N

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter