Hiccup & Morphine

Breaking Into Your Shell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It had almost been a week since Hyerin started to come up to the 12th floor for breakfast. It started to feel like a typical daily routine that sometimes before she realized it she was already in front of the guys’ door and found herself greeted with the warmest smiles. Sometimes Hyerin wondered if it was ok to familiar herself with those people so much. She was so comfortable around them that she almost let her guard down and forgot her original resolve from time to time.

This morning, too, she was there silently having her breakfast while listening to her seniors teasing one another with their inside jokes or chit-chatting about every little thing that came to their minds. Schedules, girls, TV shows, practices, and a lot more. And often, they would involve her in their jokes or conversations. It felt so natural sitting there at that dining table with this huge family. Family? They sure look like one. I wonder if it’s ok to intrude in their daily life like this…

“Here. Your bracelet. You’d better not lose it again.” Kyuhyun who sat next to her said as he put the silver bracelet on the table waking her from her little train of thoughts.

“Thank you. I wouldn’t know what to do if it hadn’t been for you.”

“Just don’t forget your promise. When will you be free?”

“My schedule is tight lately. Umm…except for the day after tomorrow when I have a free evening.”

“The day after tomorrow…let me see…my schedule’s clear, too. Let’s have a match that evening. My place.”

“Ok. But just a warning. I’m pretty good, you know.”

“Duh, and you think I’m called the almighty GaemGyu for nothing?” Hyerin laughed at Kyuhyun’s boasting smirk which then turned into a smile as Kyuhyun felt that that was one of the few times Hyerin ever laughed from her heart.

And by now, the hyungs have somewhat learned to restrained themselves from observing so openly while trying not to be too obvious in leaving the two in their own world as they talked.

…………………………...

“Oh hey, come on in, Hyerin-ah. Aww…give me the boy!!” As usual, Sungmin greeted Hyerin with a goofy smile before snatching Oscar away from her shoulder and snuggled him in his embrace as he made his way back into the living room. He really fell for the cat, without a doubt. Following them inside, Hyerin saw Eunhyuk who was just about to go into his bedroom with a huge box of strawberry milk, and Kyuhyun who just got out of his with a towel on his head showing that he just showered.

“Oh, you’re here. Take a seat. What do you like to drink? Strawberry milk?”

“Umm, no, thank you. I can’t stand strawberry.”

“WHAT??? STRAWBERRY’S THE BEST!!!” Eunhyuk hollered from inside his room in defense of his favorite fruit.

“Shut up, Myeolchi, just write your song quietly already.” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes at the childish comment before telling his hyung to shut up and make another offer to Hyerin, “And how about chocolate milk?”

“It’s fine. But you also have that?” Hyerin looked amazed as she wondered what kind of other sweets they had in that fridge.

“Yeah, it’s my favorite.” Stated Kyuhyun proudly as he brought her a glass of chocolate milk.

“No wonder you’re…” The girl almost said “fat” but she knew better not to.

“What? I’m what?”

“Chubby?” That sounds a little nicer, right?

“Puah, ha, hahahahahahaha, she said it. She really said it. She meant you’re fat, Kyuhyun-ah.” Sungmin who was sitting on the couch next to Hyerin bursted into laughter rolling from side to side and teasing the magnae causing a shade of blush to appear on the latter’s face.

“Shut up, Hyung. You’re not any better than me. Now go cuddling with the cat in your own room. Shoo. Shoo.” Embarrased, Kyuhyun couldn’t do anything but to vent on his hyung who was laughing uncontrollably and then shooed him away.

“Yah!!! I’m not an animal!!!”

“You’re cute as one. Just gooooo!!!” The magnae had to literally push his hyung into the room before coming back to the couch where Hyerin was sitting, and was apparently trying to hide her laughter at the commotion she just made. “Ahem. Let’s get started. Racing, right? I’ll show you who’s the boss.”

“Tsk. And I’ll show you I’m the champion of the race.” And the first race started and ended with Kyuhyun getting first place and Hyerin closely following behind. It really was a close call, but that didn’t matter because Kyuhyun was still a winner.

“Ha! You were saying?”

“It’s just your luck. Let’s go for another round.” And then they went on playing until the end of the third race when Donghae came trotting in.

“Hyukjae-ah, let’s go out and drink. I’m sooooo bored today.” He exaggerated as he lazily slumped down on one of the armchair, to which Eunhyuk shouted out an Okay immediately.

“Yah, I’m going, too. You two wanna come along?” Sungmin came rushing out of his bedroom demanding to stick along, and asked if Kyuhyun and Hyerin wanted to do the same. And to his own relief, they said no, or else things wouldn’t go as planned if Kyuhyun suddenly felt like drinking and abandoned the game. They were planning to give him and Hyerin some time alone, after all. So in just a short span of time, they all got ready and quickly left the place just in case the magnae had a change of mind.

Left alone in the apartment, the two were heated once again with their challenging spirits, so they happily continued their games. Round after round and Hyerin finally gave in to the fatigue she had been accumulating since early in the morning. And after a while, Kyuhyun turned around to find that he was actually talking a sleeping Hyerin. He smiled as he shook his head looking at the sleeping figure in front of him. Then he got up and gently laid her body across the couch and covered her with a blanket. And just as he was hoping she didn’t have the nightmare tonight, tiny drops of tears started rolling down her face as she started to frown and grit her teeth. What am I expecting?

Not knowing what to do, Kyuhyun decided to calm Hyerin down the only way he knew how. Breathing in a bit, he randomly chose one of his slow songs and started singing it to her.

I opened my closet and a few outfits came into my eye

It seems a bit early but I put it on anyway

My image in the mirror is the image from back then

“Kyuhyun-shi?” Hyerin, who was slightly awakened by the soft whisper of the song, hoarsely mumbled with her eyes still half lidded.

“Shhh. Just close your eyes and try to sleep.” Kyuhyun brushed back her hair and shushed her back to sleep as he continued singing Late Autumn.

I liked it better cold, the sun is about to set in the alleyway

The coffee aroma brings me back to then

When I looked at the clothes hanging on the shop window

 

Yes, it was you, who brought me out

You, who put your hand in my pocket and held my hand in that year, late autumn.

Now where should I walk? I miss the sound of your footsteps

As Hyerin obediently closed her eyes and tried to fall back asleep, Kyuhyun’s song made her reminisce about all the good memories she had in the past. Then sadness started to take over as she was reminded yet again of how she would never get to experience them anymore. There was no one to boast to when she met some nice people, or experience memorable events. There was no one to take her out and learn new things about life any longer. She was all alone.

I drank in the wind, because my heart longed for it, too

My heart that’s gotten a bit better presses me on

For me to go back before the night comes

Strangely though, instead of making her heart ache so badly like she used to always feel, Kyuhyun’s soothing voice magically calmed her heart and warmed her soul. It felt just like he was voicing out what she always kept to herself, and for which she was so grateful. She, too, wanted to complain about how lonely it always was but she dared not. She was never ready to open up to anyone else just yet as the image of the hurtful expressions of the people dearest to her were still haunting her all the time.

Yes, it was you, the shade of brown, who taught me autumn

The night with the endless longing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter