Tearless Girl & Clueless Guy

Breaking Into Your Shell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Have you gotten here yet, Hyerin-ah?”

“Yes, Eunjung-shi. I’m at the parking lot now.”

“Hmph. Ok. Hurry up.” On the other line of the phone call, Miss Gu Eunjung, a 32-year-old artist manager, sighed at the formality Hyerin was using towards her yet again. No matter how many times she had told the young artist to take off the honorifics and just call her Eonni, the girl just smiled and continued calling her the same way. Having more important things on her mind, the female manager decided to let it slide this time as she continued the conversation. “The producer and the male lead will be here soon. Remember we’re meeting them in the small meeting room on second floor. Ok?”

“Yes. I understand. I’ll see you there in a sec.” Putting her phone back into her jeans pocket, Park Hyerin sighed to herself as she walked out of the parking lot with a small backpack and a guitar on her left shoulder and headed into SM building.

This morning she had a meeting with a producer of a big advertising company who was casting stars for a CF of one of the most famous restaurant in Seoul. Having recently debuted as a solo singer of SM Ent., which was a very rare occurrence in the history of the said entertainment agency considering how it had been 13 years until Henry’s solo debut which was only a few months before hers, Hyerin knew perfectly well that there was no way SM would let this big opportunity to make her better known by the public slip without recommending her for the female lead role.

Ever since her training days 2 years ago, the 21-year-old solo singer-songwriter still doubted if she had made the right decision for entering such a huge agency as SM entertainment, for she never really cared about money or fame. All she ever wanted to do was to freely compose, write and sing her songs to her heart’s content, but seeing how the agency works, she knew she was gonna face with different types of work ranging from filming CFs to appearing on variety shows and many other offers she found troublesome. Hmph, such is life.

Entering the meeting room, Hyerin smiled as she found her manger already chatting casually with the well-known producer. She always liked how friendly and high-spirited her manager always was. And right after she properly greeted the both of them, ignoring the frown forming on her manger’s forehead showing that she didn’t like being greeted so formally by her own artist, the meeting room door opened showing the male lead for the CF who was no other than Cho Kyuhyun, the youngest member of Super Junior, her well respected seniors.

“Good Morning, Sunbae-nim.” Hyerin turned to greet her senior who returned her greeting with a good morning and a gentle smile. Of course, Super Junior had been one of her most respected seniors in SM entertainment along with DBSK and Boa. And having great passions in singing as she does, Hyerin considered those who had great voice and loved singing just as much such as Kyuhyun and a few others her most favorite artists. So that was why she couldn’t help but felt honored if she was to co-star in the same CF as one of her favorite seniors. Ha, at least my day’s brightened a little.

“Ok. Now that everyone’s settled down. Shall we start with the audition?” Producer Park stated with a friendly smile plastered on his face. Right. This was an audition. Even though Hyerin was recommended by the agency, it didn’t change the fact that she had never had experiences in acting before. So being professional as they were, the advertising company couldn’t just blindly let her take the role without any audition at all.

“The concept is about a girl who just gets back to her home country after so many years, and tries food at different places trying to find the taste her late mother used to make for her.” Seeing how everyone was now directing all of their attention towards him, Producer Park started with the concept of the CF and carefully continued with his explanation. “The girl will go to many different places until she finally comes to our restaurant and finds the nostalgic taste. Kyuhyun-shi will play the head chef of the restaurant and you, Hyerin-shi, will play the girl who reminisces about her painful past she struggled with her mother while eating the food. So the audition today is to see whether you can showcase a crying scene for our CF.”

“Oh!” Upon hearing the explanation of the concept, there was nothing but a single exclamation that escaped Hyerin’s mouth along with a surprised expression on her face causing everyone in the meeting room including Kyuhyun to raise their eyebrows in curiosity.

“Umm. I’m sorry. I’ll umm. I’ll pack up my things now.” The young singer stuttered as she gathered her things and bowed apologetically to the people in front of her. “I’ll ask the agency to recommend somebody else who is more fitted into the role. I’m really sorry.”

“Wha – But why?” Producer Park managed to form a question as surprise clearly shown on his face. Well, at least he was able to say something whereas Miss Eunjung, Hyerin’s very own manager couldn’t even bring herself to utter a word, for she totally didn’t see this coming. Kyuhyun, on the other hand, just silently watched the unexpected turns of event with interest as this was the first time he ever saw a new artist reject a role right in front of a producer, and what is more important is to see a startled expression of Hyerin, a girl who was rumored to be cheerful and lively all year round. Well, not exactly rumored, she was known to be cheerful and lively all year round. This is new, Kyuhyun thought as a small smile formed at the edge of his mouth.

“Umm, the fact that I’m careless enough to not find out about my role in advance already means that I am not worthy for the role to begin with, so – ” Hyerin stopped short as she decided no further explanation was needed since her reason was clear enough, but the produce thought otherwise.

“Yeah, but putting that aside, shouldn’t you give it a try first now that you’re already here?” Producer Park spoke his mind as his curiosity outweighed the idea that the girl may be acting out of disrespect or arrogance.

Hearing the request, Hyerin closed her eyes and hung her head low, before looking up and spoke with a serious and unreadable expression. “I’m sorry, but I don’t do crying. Please, if you’ll excuse me.” That was all she said before bowing low and left the room with her manager tailing behind her.

..............................................

Seating herself at a far end table of the not-so-crowded cafeteria, Hyerin sighed for the second time this morning. She did not want to go so far as to tell them that she couldn’t cry, but the situation really pushed her to edge of the cliff. Hmm…I’m sure I’m gonna make a headline tomorrow. And as if that’s not enough, behind her back she heard the footsteps of no other than Miss Eunjung rushing towards her with a face that screamed out that she was extremely annoyed. Here comes the lecture again, Hyerin thought as she welcome her manager with a smile.

“What do you think you’re doing, Missy? Do you have any idea what the agency has to pull to get you that audition?” Eunjung started the moment she got to the table and sat in front of Hyerin.

“I know. I’m sorry, Eunjung-shi. I’ll talk to the management myself.” Said the girl with an apologetic smile that’s enough to cool down the manager’s burning wrath.

Eunjung let out a defeated sigh and shook her head. “That’s my job. You don’t have to worry about it.” Sadly looking at her artist, she continued. “I don’t know what to do with your stubbornness, Hyerin-ah. You have to understand that with your performing style, there is no way you can be as popular as those idol groups. So the agency has to find other ways to make you earn money. As much as I know you only want to sing, that is not what th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter