The First Step

Destined Love (A Lee Donghae love story)

 

I was about to go on my very first trip alone. Without my parents, family or friends! As you can guess being it my first time I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach, a feeling that could be described as ‘Butterflies’ No! not just butterflies, it was worse than that. More like butterflies being chased with someone waving a fly swatter around frantically, and that’s just for starters.. But surprisingly I was coping better than I normal would have. I’m one of those people who become well…nervous wrecks really if their not with someone to accompany them. You know what I mean, right? But I had to get used to being more self-dependant and more self-confident for that matter. Because I was 16 surely soon I was to finish my education and move on in life. That’s only natural, right?

 

 

My thoughts drifted away as someone brushed past me with his luggage. He Gave me a patronizing look and continued dragging his heavy-looking bag onward. I took a deep breathe; It was time for me to move onward as well. I built up enough courage to take my first step through the door. That was easy…now just about another 500 odd steps to go I estimated. As I glanced around my surroundings and saw all the happy families around me overly excited about their holidays of which they were about to start and the lovey-dovey couples who were setting of on their honey moons. This wasn’t helping my self-confidence in the slightest. The rest of the airport was chaotic. Like a overly-busy motorway. I slumped down in the first spare seat I found and let out an exhausted huff. Moments later I lifted my hand to admire the ticket that was like my gateway to heaven. The ticket I had received as a 16th birthday present. The ticket to Korea!

 

 

It’s been my dream for almost 10 years now! I admired Korea so much. The culture, the people, the language it all seemed interesting to me. They had amazing trditional food, commonly known as Kimchi and they’re the leading county when it comes to entertainment, you have to admit. K-pop is awesome! And very popular all around the world! Let alone all the other great stuff like K-Dramas and K-movies. I was flying to this incredible country to further my studies, an unbelievable program set up and funded by my lovely parents. You can guess what expression my face was pulling when I was given these on the day I moved from being 15 to 16. my jaw dropped and my eyes were wide. This was truly a once-in-a-lifetime miracle for me. Or so I thought. “Yumi!” a familiar and calming voice called my name from behind me. Instantly I spun round to see my mother and father walking up to me with proud looks on their faces. I smiled showing my pearly white teeth and then rushed over to them with my arms wide. My mother was slightly ahead of my father so she was the first to receive a massive hug from me.