New Guy

Misconceptions

                For the past few weeks, I’ve been stuck in the hospital thanks to a shot wound to my chest. I was walking to work when an old gang member found me and pulled out a gun at point blank range. My past hasn’t ever caught up to me, but on that particular day, karma came in the form of a near death experience. I haven’t been involved with that gang since I was seventeen, which is now eight years ago. The person I used to be disgusts me in every way. Things have really changed for me since those days, and I’m a fully grown adult who puts others first. I work with disabled children or people with learning disabilities. Probably the furthest an ex-bad boy can be.

                My mother sent me to South Korea when I thirteen, to get me away from the horrors of China. She felt that I wouldn’t do well in my own country, so I moved into a home that welcomed gang violence to the dinner table. Of course my mother never found out about the horrible home I lived in because I didn’t want her to know of her biggest mistake. But my past doesn’t matter anymore. I have the future to look forward to.

                I was in a room with physical therapist like I had been going to for two weeks. Today was my potential release date, and I could go back to work as long as I didn’t do anything strenuous. I’ve been seeing this guy here a lot, but he’s always with some other doctor. The two of them seem very close, but that’s not what I really focus on. Whoever he is, the patient receiving the therapy has literally swept me off my feet. He is so innocent and playful that I can’t help but feel happy the second he’s in the room. I can tell there is something wrong with him, not because he’s in the hospital, but because of the way he acts.

                Anyways, I happened to over hear and see that this kid was about to be released from the hospital, just like myself. Unlike my overjoyed reaction at the thought of freedom, he looked terrified and clung onto the doctor who has been taking him to these sessions. They all ended up talking about maybe putting the patient into a foster home or a place that will let him stay without paying rent. He looked like he was about to burst out in tears, so this was when I had to step in. I knew of someone who helps so many people in similar situations.

“Excuse me,” I said walking away from my doctor and over to the group. “My name is Luhan. I couldn’t help but hear that you were having some troubles with finding… um, what is your name?”

“S-Sehun is my name,” the boy replied hiding into the doctor’s arm.

“Sehun, I really like that name. Anyways, I happen to know a place he could probably stay with no trouble at all.”

“Look, no offense to you Luhan,” the doctor began turning to me. “But I know that you are in this hospital because you were in a gang fight. I don’t need Sehun to get involved with all that. He is fragile enough as is.”

                 I stepped back in shock that this doctor would right off the bat judge me. Sure being shot in the chest by a gang member seems like I’d be a thug, but the truth is that I’ve worked hard to have a clean slate. People who are judgmental like this doctor are the only reason I can become that angry guy I used to be. It’s a shame he didn’t even listen to the home I was offering Sehun. The apartment I live in is above the school I work at, and Sehun clearly needs a place like that. My neighbor is the headmaster of the school, and he is the one who takes in people when the situation calls for him to do so. There may not be teenagers as old as him there, but I can work with him to become the adult he craves to be. Out of pure frustration, I took this doctors jacket into the palm of my hand and pulled him close. A sting near my wound sent a wave of pain throughout my body, but I ignored it to get my point across. How dare he judge me in front of other people. Within that moment, a light smacked crashed against my arm. Sehun was staring at me upset that I pulled his protector in a violent manner.

“I’m sorry,” I sighed releasing the doctor. “Listen, Dr. Park. I hate to be judged based off of an injury you weren’t there to witness, but what I’m offering to Sehun may really benefit him for the future. I work at a school called Helping Hands which is for the disabled and people with learning disabilities. I can tell Sehun is a child trapped in an adult body.”

“It’s hard to not judge or be concerned for my-“

“I am a child stuck in this body,” Sehun pouted. “If you can help me then I want to go with you, Luhan. Please make me like a grown up.”

“Of course I can help you.”

                I sat down next to Sehun and patted his shoulder reassuring him that I’m not a monster like Dr. Park assumes me to be. The moment Sehun’s attention focused to me and where I work, there was a thick layer of jealousy in the air. I can just see it in his eyes, but Dr. Park is falling for Sehun in the same way his fiancé already has. My eyes are always watching the outside hallways of the hospitals seeing all the people pass by. The same man who flirts with Sehun in his room is the one who eats lunch and kisses Dr. Park after sneaking out. It’s a fun thing to watch to be perfectly honest, but Sehun is going to get caught into that mess. Hopefully, I can pull him out of that love triangle.

“Dr. Park this sounds like a great opportunity for Sehun. Why don’t you go with Luhan and check out the school and place he would sleep.”

“Are we going to ignore the fact that Luhan was just involved with a gang?”

“Please Chanyeollie! I want to see it!”

                Dr. Park agreed to come with me back to my friend’s apartment later this evening with Sehun. He lives alone in a two bedroom apartment, so Sehun could have his own bedroom. The purpose of the bedroom was for children who were left out alone. They could stay with Jinki until a foster home or adoption center would take that person in. We could discuss my prior past which seems to be a big concern, and that’s understandable. Everyone eventually ended up leaving the physical therapy room and headed back to their own rooms to do the same thing. Sign release forms.

                For some crazy and bizarre reason, I left work a half an hour early today to accompany some thug on the way to his apartment building. Apparently Sehun can benefit from living above a school that helps people learn at whatever pace they needed to take. The school part of this arrangement sound absolutely excellent and something I’d like to see Sehun in, but it’s the living half which concerns me. Luhan said that he wouldn’t be allowing Sehun inside of his apartment since I’m so concerned on his past. Instead, a man named Lee Jinki would be taking care of him until Sehun is ready to be out on his own. This all seemed very unusual to do, but in these circumstances, the least I could do was check out the home.

                Sehun and I walked hand in hand the entire time it took to get from Seoul University Hospital to the Helping Hands School. When we arrived, I noticed how beautiful this part of the city was. The streets were made of cobblestone and the apartments and shopping buildings were standing tall. It looked like a quaint little village with the exception of the Seoul skyline behind it. The school its self was much larger and nicer than I had imagined. It stretched across the entire bottom level of a 3 story building with colorful lights that read “Helping Hands”. Sehun smiled and ran up to a window to see all types of arts and crafts hanging from the ceilings and taped to the walls. Luhan went with him and began to point out some objects in the room they could peer into.

                While they were busy looking at the beautiful school, I was observing the building itself and the traffic in the area. It was nine o’clock at night and barely anyone was out wandering the streets. Most of the shops in the area were turning off their open lights and locking the doors. Maybe Sehun staying here isn’t the worst idea. I know he can’t stay with me because Baekhyun would have a fit if he knew what was going on between Sehun and I. Well, I suppose nothing is going on between us because the feelings seem to be one sided, unless Sehun feels the same.

                Suddenly a door on the side of the building opened and a handsome man, about the same age as me, walked out with warm tea in hand. He passed the cup to Sehun smiling and then walked over to me to shake my hand. He had very soft brown hair and wore a camel colored knitted sweater. Luhan walked over with Sehun and patted the man on the shoulder.

“Hi you must be Dr. Park,” the man smiled revealing perfect teeth. “My name is Lee Jinki, I’m the owner of the school behind us.”

“Ah, it’s nice to meet you Jinki. The school and the area seem really great, but I’m sorry we had to spring Sehun on you like this.”

“Please don’t worry about it. I’ve homed five children before until they were all adopted by families. This is really no trouble at all. I’m just glad Luhan told me about Sehun before he was kicked out the hospital with no place to go.”

                I turned to Sehun to see him sipping on his warm tea while being wrapped in the arm of Luhan. My teeth clenched down on my tongue the moment I saw these two together, but I ignored it and continued to listen to the wonderful stories Jinki told me of his hospitality. It ended up getting late and I was concerned Baekhyun would start worrying for me if I didn’t get home soon. After saying our goodbyes, I left Sehun with the sweet Jinki and thug Luhan. As I began to walk away, Luhan called me over while the other two stepped inside the apartment.

“Chanyeol,” he said running up to me. “I understand your concerns about my past, but I can assure you Sehun is in safe hands. That gang attack was by a man who hated me because I left that group of people when I was seventeen. He just wanted to get revenge.”

“Although your story of leaving that life is sweet, I’ll have to see it to believe it. Make sure nothing happens to my Sehun.”

“Your Sehun? Don’t think I don’t know what’s going on between you two,” he whispered stepping closer. “Falling in love with Sehun would be a bad idea considering you’re already in a relationship. So cross me again with your judgmental tone and watch how fast your fiancé leaves you when he finds out you’ve been basically cheating on him. Goodnight Chanyeol.”

                Luhan walked away smiling as I stood in my place frozen with shock. He knew my darkest secret and was now using that to threaten me. If Baekhyun finds out about what’s been going on with Sehun, then I could lose him forever. I can’t lose my fiancé. He’s been with me through thick and thin. I’ll do anything to see it that Luhan keeps his mouth shut.