Separated Paths

Misconceptions

                There was a drop in my stomach that nearly made me fall over in fear. Never in my life have I been so scared before. I was looking at my best friend, boyfriend, and lover all at the same time. As far as Chanyeol knew, I had never met his fiancé before. Yet here was Baekhyun calling my name and chasing after me. Everyone had the same face of shock on, yet Chanyeol was pulled away by other doctors along with the stretcher of Minseok. I could see him literally hurt by the fact that Baekhyun was calling for me. The clouded confusion in his brain must be overwhelming.

                Luhan walked over to the two of us after watching the nurses take away Minseok through the double doors. Baekhyun ran to him directing him towards a chair. The two sat down, and my best friend took out a handkerchief to start cleaning all the dried blood off Luhan’s face. I sat down next to Luhan awkwardly, feeling as if he had already known that I had just cheated on him. Though he didn’t say anything to me at all and almost leaned away from me. He was clearly still hurting from Minseok’s beating, so Baekhyun called a nurse to take him to get checked on. Several women came over and sat him in a wheelchair before pushing him to another hallway.

                It was just Baekhyun and I sitting with a chair’s space in-between us, but I got up and moved right next to him taking his hand. There were tears already filling my eyes and my throat was closing up. He needed to know what Chanyeol and I had done, but also know everything that has led up to it. The truth needs to come out no matter how scary it feels.

“Baekhyun,” I said taking a deep breath. “There is a lot I need to tell you, and if you don’t want to be my friend after this, I completely get it.”

“Sehun you’re kind of freaking me out. First you come out of my apartment building crying, and now this. What’s going on?”

“Well you know that Chanyeol was my doctor. After I started to go to physical therapy here at the hospital, he and I started to get really close.”

“I figured that out after he brought you to Luhan’s apartment the first night you were released.”

“Yeah… Since then we’ve been hanging out in secret and have been together a hell of a lot more since you’ve been away. So… Luhan’s ex-boyfriend came back the other day and told me that he was going to fight for him.”

“I’m so sorry,” he said thinking I was only worried because of Minseok. “This guy will back off if you show off how much you and Luhan love each other.”

“No, that’s not it Baek. Minseok was hurting Luhan earlier, and they were and having . So I got mad and shot him… Then I ran away to Chan-…your house to get back at him. I thought I should do what they did so Luhan could get just as mad. I really didn’t mean for it to happen, but it did Baekhyun. I’m so sorry I really didn’t mean to!”

                Baekhyun just stared at me looking so confused and shocked at everything I had said. I wasn’t sure if he even understood what I said because he was just that quiet. Though it was a lot to process in that moment. First hearing that I shot someone, then running off to his fiancé. I was going to go on and keep apologizing but he stopped me before I could say another word.

“So you let Chanyeol take your ity, and he was okay with that?”

“…Baekkie I’m so sorry,” I cried. “Please don’t be mad at me! I was just trying to get back at Luhan! I know that this can mess up you marriage! That’s why I can’t love Chanyeol like my heart tells me. You two are going to be married soon. I’ve been trying to ignore it for months but it’s hard! That’s why I started to date Luhan so I could ignore the other feelings.”

“Hey it’s okay,” Baekhyun smiled weakly whipping my tears. “You haven’t done anything wrong. Chanyeol and I will talk, okay?”

“Okay… Thank you for forgiving me.”

                He got up and hugged me after cleaning my face of all the tears with shaking hands. I was told to stay put unless Luhan asked for me, because I have to tell him too. Where Baekhyun went after that is beyond me, but I sat alone in the waiting room with guilt for almost an hour. A nurse came over to me and told me that it was okay for me to visit Luhan. We walked to a quiet room where he sat with very little wires in him and a plate of dinner. He hardly smiled at me when I sat next to him. I knew that he had to be the next person to know what happened. Though he didn’t say a word until the nurse left and shut the door behind her.

“Sehun, you are not to tell one single person that you hurt Minseok. He’s going to make it,” Luhan said with tears in his eyes. “He has to make it… Um, but I told the doctors he was hurting me and felt so guilty that he tried to take his own life. So you’re not even going to get in trouble.”

“I am in trouble though.”

“No you’re not because-“

“I cheated on you Luhan. Me and Chanyeol were together and I thought if I did what you and Minseok were doing, that we’d be even.”

                Luhan slammed his fist into the side of his bed and let his head sink into his hands. He was so angry that I backed away in fear. Why couldn’t he react like Baekhyun and just say okay and move on? The smart thing to do would to keep my mouth shut and let him release all his anger so I don’t cause anymore problems. So that’s exactly what I did. The thing that broke the silence was a nurse who entered the room after he called for someone to come in.

“When can I be released? I have to work in the morning.”

“Sir you were-“

“I know what happened to me! I’m fine and I want to leave so is it possible that I can leave? I already have been treated.”

“If you chose to leave you can. The hospital usually keeps patients here for one night though. I’ll remove your IV drip so please hold still.”

                The young woman removed all of his wires carefully and quickly. Luhan sat at the edge of his bed staring at me with nothing but anger until she came back in with a fresh set of clothes. After leaving the room, he stripped out of his gown and began putting on all the new clothes the hospital generously gave to him. I was still too scared to say a word because of the look on Luhan’s face. It was as if his eyes were screaming at me with nothing but hatred. He then pulled up a chair next to me, taking a deep breath before he spoke.

“Sehun I honestly am really hurt that you cheated on me. It’s so hard for me to trust someone and you broke my trust. Every time I look at you I’m going to think of Chanyeol. Do you think that’s alright for such a new relationship?”

“But it was just an accident, I really-“

“You didn’t mean to get and another man?! You’re telling me that within the time you and Chanyeol were kissing and touching that you didn’t like it?! Didn’t being with him feel so good to you?!”

“Please stop yelling you’re scaring me Luhan.”

“I can’t help but yell because you’ve frustrated me! Tell me right now, and I want the truth. Do you love Park Chanyeol? Have you loved him ever since you woke up from your coma? Was there ever a moment that you just wanted to break him and Baekhyun up so you can have him all to yourself?”

“…I love, or loved him. When we started our lessons I figured it’d be easier to make my crush on you grow into something more than ruin a marriage. I really do like you, and I like that you’re my boyfriend, but I also have those feelings for Yeol. My heart is torn and I feel like dirt because of what I’ve done! I’m not a kid anymore but I still make these mistakes. I still don’t get what is right and wrong.”

“I’m done, Sehun. We can’t be together. I can’t be with you if you love another man. I mean it’s been what, a couple days of dating and you’ve already cheated?”

“Please don’t do this,” I said standing up grabbing his shoulders. “Please don’t leave like this.”

“You’ve made your choice Sehun, and I’ve made mine. I’m better off restoring an old relationship then dragging out this one. Make Chanyeol yours if you can. Don’t ignore what your heart feels.”

                Before I could tell him to stay one more time, Luhan walked out waving goodbye without even looking at me. Finally all the days stress and sadness hit me like a truck and I fell to the ground weeping. I’ve not only managed to ruin Luhan’s trust towards me, but I’ve managed to damage a marriage that hasn’t even started yet. How am I supposed to live with myself without feeling like the lowest form of life? What kind of person hurts people the way that I have?

                After crying in that room for probably an hour, the door opened up and Chanyeol walked in. He lifted me off the ground and into his arms to hug me so tight. I just wrapped my arms around him and cried harder, struggling to breathe. He pulled away brushing my hair out my face and kissing my forehead. I looked up at those beautiful brown eyes before kissing his cheek. Even though I may feel lost, my heart isn’t. It knows what it wants. Park Chanyeol is my love.

                Minseok’s room was the first place I decided to go after breaking up with Sehun. My heart is supposed to feel heavy with sadness, but instead it’s filled with hope. I tried my best to remove Sehun from the sticky love triangle he was in, though it was really not worth it after all. He’s going to have to make his own decisions from now on without me being there trying to guide him the right way. That’s just how adulthood works. If he wants to get heart broken by Chanyeol, then that’s his problem.

                I opened the white door that held a bandaged and tired Minseok. His round cheeks were flushed with red the moment I entered the room and sat on the edge of his bed. This man and I have been through more than I can explain, but I have always understood Minseok until the day we broke up. I laid down next to him resting my head against his chest before finally speaking. My body naturally felt the need to be with him like this. Even thought we’ve been broken up for sometime, I can return to him as if a day hasn’t passed since we’ve been together.

“Sehun cheated on me,” I said casually.

“I’d like to say I’m sorry and I feel bad, but then I’d be lying,” he giggled. “Are you feeling okay though? I’m a pretty good at jokes so I can make you feel better.”

“I’m fine Min. We were only dating for a little while anyways. Please don’t start with your terrible jokes already.”

“Hey they’re not that bad!”

                We both laughed at the thought of all the terrible jokes he used to tell when we were dating. Believe me when I say that they were the absolute worst. His weak arm wrapped around my waist the longer I laid next to him. I could’ve told him to let go of me, but I didn’t. One would think that after being by someone, I’d fear every touch he’d make on me. But rather than being scared of his touches, I longed for them. Finally I moved my head to look at him in the eyes. He could tell the exact thought running through my mind. Leave it to Minseok to read me like a book.

“I left the gang two years after we broke up. I went to school to become a barista and moved to an apartment down the road from you. So stop worrying about our future, because it would be fine. We could go back to being in love like we used to be.”

“Minseok do you really still love me,” I asked sitting up facing him. “It’s been so long…”

“Would I have changed my life if I didn’t love you?”

                He grabbed the sides of my face pulled me towards him. I had to wiggle a bit to get closer to his lips before he kissed me. It felt like sparks of lightening shooting pleasantly through me. I’m scared to say the least, but I’m willing to give Minseok once more chance. He has one more shot at spending the rest of our lives together…

                I could almost feel my heart ripping into two pieces while driving to my apartment. For six years my heart has belonged to Byun Baekhyun, but within the time of year, all it has wanted was to be with Oh Sehun. Now, that can be a reality, but the guilt I feel over possibly losing Baek forever literally hurts me. He’s done nothing but been an amazing fiancé and I’ve just let it all go for a teenager.

                What I don’t understand was the unusual meeting that happened in the waiting room of the hospital before I went into the surgery room. Why was Baekhyun calling for Sehun? How in the world do they both know each other? I haven’t had the chance to ask because I needed to focus on the surgery and stop Sehun from crying once I got out. He hasn’t stopped with tears since I seen him, but thankfully he’s asleep now. I flipped on the passenger seat cushion warmer before parking my car and heading up to my apartment. Baekhyun and I needed to talk.

                I unlocked the door and found that most of the apartment was sitting in the living. There were clothing, books, and boxes of shoes all neatly separated in piles on the cushions of our sofa. Baekhyun came walking over with several caps in his arms before seeing me. He looked at me, biting his lip before coming over. He walked up to me and grabbed my hand opening it with his own. I could feel something land in my palm before he went back into the living room and began putting all of what I now see as my belongings in boxes. I turned to look at my palm and saw his engagement ring in my hand.

“Baek can we please talk,” I said feeling nervous.

“We can. Just come here and help me put all this in the boxes. Try to keep it neat. It’s easier to unpack when everything is together.”

“Why are you packing all my things?”

“Why did you cheat on me? Why did you lie to me for the past nine months? Why is Sehun in love with you,” he screamed throwing a shirt at me.

“You have every right to be mad, but why were you in the hospital today calling for Sehun? How do you know him?”

“Okay ignore all my questions. Well since you’re so ing curious Chanyeol, let me explain myself. Sehun and I grew up together in my hometown and we were the best of friends. I used to be in love with him. The day he got in his car accident, I was supposed to be with him. Instead, I was told he and his parents were dead so I moved on with me life. When he woke up in the hospital, some how he and I found each other and I have been hanging out with him since. In fact I was falling for him again, but instead I ignored my childish feelings because I figured we were going to get married. I see you didn’t do that same thing…”

                I didn’t have words to say after his short explanation. I can recall Sehun always talking about an old friend named Baekhyun, but I never knew it was my fiancé. This whole time he asked questions about my life or my fiancé, it all makes sense now. It took me awhile to figure out what to say back. Instead I watched Baek just pack all my things away quickly and precisely. I took a pile of jeans and put it inside the box in front of him, finally gaining eye contact with him.

“So you want to call off the wedding,” I asked showing him his ring. “You want us to be over?”

“No Chanyeol, I don’t. I wanted to grow old with you and have children. I wanted to move to a home and love you for this rest of my life. You are the one that has called of the wedding. All you had to do was say no to Sehun, but you didn’t. You had a chance to think before having with him, right?”

“I did…”

“Well there you go. Look I’ve packed up all I can visibly see is yours. Take these boxes for now, and I’ll go through the place and collect whatever else is yours, but for now, please leave. We’re done.”

“Baekhyun,” Sehun sighed opening the apartment door.

                I turned around shocked to see him awake and standing at the door way. Baekhyun got up ready to charge at Sehun. This may have been his best friend, but as of this moment, Baekhyun was looking at the person who ruined his marriage, or rather the person who has ruined his life. Sehun backed up scared seeing the anger, but just before Baekhyun could throw a punch, he stopped in place. He closed his eyes and bit his bottom lip holding back tears. Instead, he went back to the boxes, slamming into my shoulder as he passed. As much as this hurts, I clearly have made the choice for us all. I grabbed two boxes, and told Sehun to take one. Baekhyun grabbed two boxes himself and we all walked towards my car. Once everything was in the trunk, I turned around looking at my ex. He was helping Sehun who was having trouble climbing into the passenger seat.

“Baek this isn’t how I wanted things to end,” I spoke grabbing his shoulders.

“Me too. But for Sehun, we’re going to have to move past this. I can see it in his eyes that he’s going to break down. Something is really wrong with him. Be there for him please Yeol because I can’t be. I need time to let my heart heal. You have no idea how bad you’ve broken me down. It’s going to take awhile, but we’ll be friends again someday. It may take years, but it can happen. Good luck…”

                Baekhyun turned around and began to walk towards his apartment with tears falling from his eyes. I watched him until the door shut before I entered my car seeing Sehun biting his hand. He turned to me once I pulled away his hand and reached to kiss him. As much as we hurt right now, Sehun and I will be fine. Where one door closes, another opens. It maybe a bumpy road, but I’m ready to start my life with Sehun. He hugged me as best he could in the car before kissing my lips softly.

“We’re going to make it Chanyeol. I promise you, we’re going to make it.”

 

------

Everyone, I'd like to thank you all for reading Misconceptions! If you feel like you want more, like how everyone is going to move on past this, fear not! I am going to begin writing Hazy which is the prequel to this! It will be posted near the end of June. I've made a trailer for you to watch if you are interested! Thank you for you love <333