Baby Steps

Misconceptions

                There was a really bright light shining down on my bed, waking me up. It was frustrating because I wanted to sleep more but the sun didn’t give me any other choice. I wanted to toss and turn, but there was something holding me down, something like hands. My eyes opened to see Chanyeol hovering over me with a clipboard in his hands. He was checking on all these colorful wires that were attached to arms. I’m still not sure what they mean, but he says to not touch them. If I do I’m going to go in time out, apparently. But he can’t really give me a time out because I’m stuck in this bed. Anyways, he was smiling at me the moment our eyes met and I couldn’t help but smile back. Chanyeol is a really nice guy, almost as nice as Baekkie.

                In my room were a few other people I didn’t really know, or maybe I do but since I’ve been asleep for years I forget who they are. One of the ladies was removing some clear tube from out of my nose, which made me sneeze. Everyone laughed except me. Whatever is going on in my room is freaking me out because it’s getting cleaned up. Am I going somewhere or are they just cleaning because they were told to?

                After watching everyone for a couple minutes, I noticed on my tray was a chocolate chip muffin and apple juice in a carton. Someone must know that this is my favorite breakfast in the world. Who knew hospital food was this good? As much as I wanted to bite into my yummy muffin, I have to brush my teeth first. Dad used to yell at me if I didn’t brush my teeth after I woke, so I have to do it still even if he is dead. I wish Mom and Dad were here because I’m scared to be alone. Yes, my age is old enough to be out by myself, but I’m just a stupid child on the inside.

                I can’t be a child anymore. It’s time to change and become a grown up. So the first grown up thing I decided to do was brush my teeth before breakfast even though nobody said I had to. The second I removed my sheets and tried to adjust my legs to the ground, Chanyeol started to scold me. He’s only my friend so I don’t have to listen to him.

“Sehun you need to stay in bed,” he sighed trying to lay me back down. “You’re not going to be able to walk on your own like you did yesterday.”

                Maybe Chanyeol was right after all because the moment my feet touched the cold tiled floor, by body collapsed under me. I fell down so fast slamming my head against the night stand beside my bed. It hurt so bad that I could cry, but I know being a grown up means not crying anymore. So I bit my lip and tried to stand up on my own again, but Chanyeol was already by my side getting ready to lift me to the bed. He was rubbing my cheeks kneeling down so we were at eye level while I was still on the ground. Chanyeol really wanted to make sure I was okay before laying me back in my bed.

“Why can’t I walk anymore,” I said poking my legs. “They were fine yesterday.”

“You may not understand this, but yesterday was almost like your body was so amazed it was awake. It was so excited that all this stuff called adrenaline rushed through you and you were able to move fine. But you haven’t moved your bones in fourteen years, so we need to get them to work again like how they used to.”

“How do I do that? What can I do to fix my bones?”

“I’m going to take you to a special doctor who helps people regain their strength in their bones. He’s really good at his job so you’ll be fine.”

                On top of my body not working the way I want it to, now my head was throbbing from my fall. To distract myself from crying, I decided to eat the breakfast that was in front of me. Brushing my teeth will have to happen later since I can’t move on my own. It was really the most delicious muffin I’ve ever had. Instead of those burnt ones Mom used to make, these are just perfect. While I ate my breakfast I looked around the room that was now clean except for the garbage can. I could see a brown paper bag that said “bakery” on it. That makes sense why the muffin is so delicious.

“I hope you like that muffin I bought for you,” Chanyeol smiled rubbing my head.

“It was really good! Thanks Chanyeol!”

“You’re very welcome. Now the nurses and I are going to move you to another room now. Since you’re awake, you don’t need to be in the hallway with all the sleeping patients.”

                Another group of unfamiliar faces walked into my room, unplugging some wires and quickly pushing them into a moving outlet they had in their hands. Everyone was grabbing some type of tube or wire that was attached inside of me, so I got scared to say the least. What if I get hurt on the way to getting a new room? Chanyeol must have seen that I was afraid because he took my hand and held it really tight the whole ride. I let my fingers interlock with his, and pulled him even closer when I saw people staring at me in the hallways. Some were random people but the others were doctors and nurses. Why did they have to look at me this much?

                Once we got into my brand new room, which had a lot more colorful pictures in it, everyone left except Chanyeol. He shut the door behind all the leaving people and then pulled a chair up to my bed. Now there was enough strength for me to sit on the edge of my bed, but I still didn’t dare to try and stand up on the feet I had planted on the ground. Chanyeol kind of looked sad and took the sides of my face in his hands.

“The next few days are going to be a little scary, Sehun.”

“How come,” I said pouting my lips.

“I’m not going to see you as much as I have these past two days. You’re in the healthy hallway now, so another doctor has to take care of you. It’s my job to watch over all the sleeping people or people who hurt their heads.”

“I hurt my head today! So now you have to stay with me. Please don’t leave Chanyeollie…”

                His hands dropped from the side of my face and into my lap where I had my hands resting. Our fingers interlocked again and he promised me that he would visit whenever he had the spare time. As soon as we finished talking for a few minutes, Chanyeol told me it was time to go to physical therapy. That’s the place where I’m going to have my bones working again. He lifted me up into his really strong arms and sat me in a wheelchair. We then went through the hallway yet again, but this time to the room where the doctor helped people fix their broken bodies.

                I forget what that doctor’s name was because I was too scared of him to even listen to what he had to say. Instead, I held Chanyeol’s hand and rested my head against his shoulder while the other doctor talked to me. He said that getting me back to normal shouldn’t take very long at all, but that isn’t the hard part. Like I already know, I have to catch up with every other nineteen year old in South Korea. So we all watched a video showing what teenagers my age are doing and how I’m going to catch up with them. It’ll just be a matter of time before I am really a grown up like Chanyeollie and Baekkie.

 

---------------

Hi subscribers (: I'd like to apologize for not posting in two weeks or so. Life has hit me right in the face so I was completely unable to even flick on my computer and give you this chapter. My school year is almost over which means I am studying for two state board exams while working a part time job. Please continue your support with the story ^^ I'll be posting the next chapter within the week!