O n e .

A pair of Converse.

One : A turquoise Converse.


 

Every night, Luhan and I will cycle at the nearest park. As always, I'm quite behind from Luhan.

When I passed a basketball court, suddenly a shoe is flying through the air and lands right in front of me. I immediately do an emergency break. I can just hit the shoe right? But I don't know why I don't.

I look down. Oh, it's a turquoise Converse with dark turquoise shoelace. I pick it up. Then come this three girls smiling at me.

"Is this yours?" I ask. And I can hear some girls’ screams at the back. The girls nod. I was like .. how can be this shoe have three owner? It's not even a pair.

 

“Xiumin!” Luhan calls me. The three girls are shouting excitedly and compliment Luhan being so handsome. They all look at him with a bright smile.

“Faster!” Luhan added. So, I give the shoe to whomever because I didn’t even look at them. I rush to Luhan. When we are cycle next to each other, I ask,

“Why?”

“They just want to get your attention, Umin” Luhan says. He looks like he’s annoyed with the girls. I didn’t say anything. That’s how this boy named Luhan works. He didn’t like girls come near to me or him.

 

We continue cycling until we see a shop that sells food. We enjoy our late supper and cycle back home using the same road we came here. Everybody has left. The park is empty now. As usual, I cycle behind Luhan. Then something caught my attention.

Under a street light in front us, I see a girl wearing a school uniform. She stares at the night sky while holding a shoe. It looks like the same shoe that I nearly hit just now. Luhan passed her by .. and then me. I cycle slowly while looking at her.

There are questions in my head. Why is she alone here? Everybody has left. Why does she’s still wearing a school uniform ? It’s night already.

 

“Umin!” Luhan calls me. I immediately go to him.

“Luhan, why does she's wearing a school uniform at night?” I ask. I am curious. Luhan stops his bicycle and looks at me.

“What girl?” he frowns and asks. I stop my bicycle next to him.

“Nobody is here except us, Umin” he added.

“The girl that under the street light, wearing a school uniform” I say and pointed at the lamp.

 

Silent. All we can hear is the sound of crickets.

 

“Where did she go?” I ask myself.

“This is not the best time to joke around, Umin. Let’s go! Faster!” Luhan says.

 

I know what I’ve seen. Maybe she leaves .. but she can’t be that fast.

 



 

Some days later.

 

The class is so boring. I look through the window - at the trees, sky and everything. But then I see a figure on top of a tree branch, wearing a school uniform. We make an eye contact and that girl smiles at me.

"What is she doing up there?!" I ask suddenly. I am so surprised. The teacher who is teaching, silent herself. Oh my, what have I done? I immediately look down at my table. I can hear Luhan, who is sitting next to me laughing although he tries hard to cover himself.

"What do you want to share with the class Xiumin?" asks the teacher. I look at the teacher who is approaching me.

"There's a girl on a tree branch .." I say and pointed at that tree. Everybody looks at where I pointed. Then, I have a look at that tree. I paused myself as nobody is there.

"But .. but .." I can’t finish my words and I am speechless. I’m so sure that I see a girl on top of that tree. She even smiles at me !

 

KRINGGGGGGG. School has ended but Luhan keeps laughing when we make eye contact.

“What’s so funny?” I ask him.

“Why are you keeping joking around like that? It doesn’t work in the afternoon” Luhan replies. I hold Luhan’s face. He chuckles.

“I’m not joking around. It’s real. I do see a girl wearing a school uniform on that tree”

 

 “Guys, I think we can’t play basketball this evening” suddenly Yonghwa – our classmate – says. Luhan and I are very surprised.

“Why?!” we ask at the same time. He seems worried.

“You guys didn’t hear about that story?” he asks. Luhan and I look at each other. Then we look at our Yonghwa.

“No” I say. Luhan nodded.

“You didn’t? Everyone knows that story already!” he says. I frown and ask,

“What story?”