Chapter 1

Soul-Mate

Chapter 1

As far as everyone else in High school knows, Luhan and I were best friend since childbirth. We were more like twin sister and brother. We would sometimes pick fights but not as a serious fight. Luhan always teases me because I'm shorter than him but even if he's mean towards me, he always have a soft-hearted side that cares about people. One time, I accidentally slipped on an ice patch and twisted my ankle, Luhan stayed beside me and held on to me every day when going to school. Luhan was a popular boy in school because of his handsome looks, so majority of the girls would fall head over heels for him. Whenever I walk next to him, the girls would feel jealous but wouldn't dare do anything since they wanted to keep a behaved image for him. Others would stare and judge us wrong, thinking that we were dating. Sometimes, I would feel embarrassed and act like it was a joke when people say that about us, but really...my feelings for him has changed.

It all had started when I came home alone that one night from school. Luhan was busy playing basketball with his classmates at the park. I didn't want to bother him since he always walked me home. We both live across from each other and our parents know one another too well. They also agreed and wanted us to get married, but we were still too young.

I stopped by a small food stand and decided to get something for him to eat when he comes home. Since he likes spicy rice cake, I ordered two small containers for him, along with two sticks of fried fish cake. On the way home down the alley, a group of girls were blocking the path as if they were waiting for someone. They realized I was coming down the hill and stood in a horizontal line, totally blocking with no space to escape.

I didn't realize them standing there because I was too busy feeling excited about his reaction when he comes home. I accidentally bumped into one of the girl and spilled the spicy rice cake all over her shoes. I quickly apologized and picked up the containers. My two fish sticks fell on the ground as well.

One of the girls chuckled as she bent down and patted my shoulder.

“I'm sorry...I didn't see you girls...” I apologized. The girl smiled and pushed me down where my skirt touched the spilled rice cake. I felt my insides boiling as I was getting ready to stand up and fight back, but felt a kick and punch on my back. I tumbled over again feeling weak. “YAH! How come you're always beside our oppa, EO?? Are you two dating or what?” one of them yelled as she yanked my hair back.

Suddenly, she slapped me in the face and grabbed my chin, holding it hard. I felt the pain and pushed her hand away.

She laughed again and gave me a punch. My cheeks started feeling sore and I could taste the blood through my teeth.

“Let me ask you one more time....Are you two dating or what? But even if you two are, I'm warning you to better stay away from him...or else, we'll make sure you'll never see the sunlight again...” She said as she gave me a kick in the stomach. I groaned to the strong pain that shot through my body. She grabbed my hair once again. “Are you going to stay away from him? Eo??” She asked me.

Before I could say 'No', I saw Luhan running down the alley.

“ANSWER ME!!” She yelled as she raised her hand, getting ready to slap me.

I looked at her straight in the eye and told her my answer, “NO!”

 

Before her hand slapped my cheeks, Luhan came and pushed her out of the way. She was shocked as well as the other girls to see him there.

“GET OUT OF HERE, OR ELSE ALL OF YOU WON'T SURVIVE TONIGHT!” Luhan shouted at him as he blocked me from the girls. The main girl whined as she tried to apologize to Luhan but realized his anger was far beyond fierce and quickly urged the girls to run away.

 

After they had disappeared, Luhan turned around and pulled me up. “Babo! Why didn't you tell me you were going home? I could have walked home with you like we usually do every night...Look what happened to you...” He faced me as he tried to feel the scars on my face, but I quickly moved his arm away. He was surprised. I gave him the look, and started walking alone, while trying to remove the spicy paste off my skirt.

 

He watched from behind and realized I was limping. He quickly ran over and held onto my arms. My heart wanted to scream out to him, but I couldn't. Somehow, I began to cry loud. I stopped as He stopped and cried even louder. He faced me again and started chuckling, “Yah..why are you crying? You're not a baby no more. Stop crying...” I slightly punched him without explaining to him why I was crying. But, in my heart, I wanted to tell him that I liked him but it was hard liking him when situation like this would happen. He pulled me into his arms and hugged me. After what seems to be like 10 minutes of hugging, I released him and started walking. He smiled and followed after.

 

Few months passed, as my heart still beats for him, I realized that he wasn't paying much attention to me as he usually do when we first started high school together. It was almost near the end of this semester and exams were coming up. He wasn't the type of person to study for exams since he was always the top student in school, so during study session, he would still go out to play basketball with the rest of the other top students. I stayed inside and study my off so that I can catch up to him. Those girls from before never bothered me since then, since Luhan has been walking home with me. Every time they tempt to come and attack but saw Luhan, they just act friendly towards me like we've become friends. I disliked that.

 

When Exam time came, Luhan told me that he will take me out to eat at my favorite restaurant when I finish my exam. Boy, was I excited. I couldn't focus on my exam. I felt like he purposely done it to make me fail. After my exam was completed, I still had time to do other things. So I decided to buy him something for passing his exam that he took a week before mines.

 

After I got out of class, I dashed over to the bank building and withdrew some cash from my allowance my parents have given to me for my future wedding. After withdrawing, I quickly stashed it into my book bag and walked out the entrance. Since I realized I was a bit behind on the schedule time that I promised to meet him at, I started picking up my walking pace. Before I knew it, I bumped into someone who wore a nice business attire, and was taller than I was. He was even taller than Luhan.

He apologized. I glanced at him for a bit and quickly apologized as well then made my run.

 

As soon as I got to the meeting place, I stood there searching my surroundings while looking for him. I thought to myself that maybe he's running late, or maybe I was too early. I went inside a nearby shop and bought a small gift for him. After paying the cashier, I quickly grabbed the gift bag and went back out to see if he had come.

 

Then, I received a text message: 'I'm sorry, but next time, I will take you out to eat. I'm busy right now.'

 

Feeling speechless, I stood there for a minute. I pulled out my phone and dialed his number. The first time he didn't pick up. I dialed the second time because I wanted to confirm if he was serious after making me run around like an idiot.

Then, the call was picked up, but it wasn't Luhan's voice. It was a girl's voice instead.

“Hello?....Hello?” she asked. I quietly spoke, “i-is Luhan there?” “Ah...Luhan's busy right now...He'll call you back later...” She answered then hung up. My heart felt like it was torn into pieces though I know that we're just friends and that he treats me like a sister. But, I can't seem to hold in my feelings anymore.

 

After a month pass from the exam, Luhan and I had distant ourselves. Some people found it awkward because both of us were always together. Sometimes, we would avoid meeting face to face but every time when that happens, we acted like we were strangers. I wanted to tell him to explain what happened a month ago when he and I promised to meet each other at that place after exams. Was he too embarrassed to tell me what he was doing then? I was a bit upset,but it's in the pass now, yet I don't know why he is acting this way.

 

Even when coming home, he wouldn't walk home with me as like walking beside me. He would trail down following behind me but keeping a far distant, and when we stop in front of our houses, before I could turn around and say something nice to him, he would already entered the house.

 

During the weekends, we usually hang out and play. Just the two of us having a fun time with our families, both. Sometimes, it'll just be the two of us, hiding in the basement of his house, listening to music or play basket ball with him behind his house. Sometimes, He would come out in the middle of the night and throw small pebbles at my window for me to come out and open the door for him. Then, we would climb us this secret stair onto the rooftop and stare out into the stars. He was a friend that I cherish the most. Those times made me miss him a lot. It got me to the point where his distances kept hurting me inside.

 

This one weekend, I decided to have a talk with him. I purposely waited for him outside of his house. Hours pass, he has not come out yet. I waited patiently for him. It was getting dark already yet I still wanted to wait for him.

 

Finally, when it was really dark, he came out and leaned against the brick wall. I quickly got up after seeing him and was happy to see his face, but his face didn't look too well. I walked up to him and asked, “Are you okay? Are you sick?” I placed both my hand on his cheek, but he quickly pushed it away. “Please don't act like we're a couple...” He told me. In order to hold my anger and tears after he told me that, I protected my heart and stood strong in front him and laughed it off. “What do you mean couple?? Yah! What are you talking about?” I playfully punched him on the shoulder. He didn't budge but kept a serious face.

I realized he was serious. “What's wrong with you these past few days? You're not the Luhan I use to know anymore...” I asked him.

 

After a few second of silence, he spoke, “ People can change...and so...I have changed....”

I calmly laughed it off again trying to hold in my tears, “What are you talking about? People can't change overtime like that...YAH! We're still best friends right?”

 

“I think you should go home...it's getting late...” He told me. I wanted him to answer me whether we're still best friend or not. So instead of listening to him, like how I did before, I blurted out questions that were kept inside of me all along...

 

“Why didn't you pick up your phone? Who were you with that day?” I asked in trembling voice before Luhan turned to go back inside.

He turned back around. “Why did a girl pick up your call?” I asked him, demanding an answer.

“What are you talking about?” Luhan asked as he stepped down from the door entrance and leveled with me.

“What I'm talking about? You really don't know?” I asked him feeling annoyed that he denies it.

“Is it your girlfriend? Is she that important to you that you decided to throw away our friendship?” I asked in anger.

He laid his hand on his waist and sigh, “Are we fighting over this? We're not even dating...so why would you care if it was my girlfriend or not? And what if it was my girlfriend?”

I felt my tears falling down. I quickly wiped it off. “Fine! We're not dating of course! Who would wanna date someone like you!?”

Luhan became frustrated, “Yah... I came but you weren't even there..who do you think got stood up?”

“Liar...you sent me a text message and I even called you to confirm it!” I shouted at him.

“I didn't even have my phone! Plus, I didn't even know where my phone went! I tried calling you through the payphone, but you didn't even pick up!” He yelled back.

 

“Liar Liar Liar!!! You're just a pain in the ....A jerk like you denies your own doing will never get a girlfriend!” I yelled again and took off running.

Luhan ruffled over his hair and kicked the wall.

I kept running to where I no longer see him and slowed down my pace.

I punched my chest because of the pain my heart was giving me. Why did I fall in love with such a fool? He lied to me many times over small things, but this he even dares to deny it? How am I suppose to believe him? He could at least be honest with me.

 

After what seems like a week, only two days have passed since we last spoke to each other. I waited for him to call me and apologized.

 

After class, I walked to the coffee shop and stayed there all day waiting if he would show up. This shop was usually the place where he and I would share coffees and laugh and listen to music every time we come home from school.

“Luhan is not coming?” a worker who recognized me asked as she place the coffee on my table.

I shook my head and smiled. “Did you guys have a fight?” she asked again.

I sighed and slightly nodded. “Even best friends fight? But you two seem like couples....couples do fight but not best friends. When best friends fight, they stay enemies forever...” She explained to me.

I glanced up at her making sure her words weren't true. I didn't want to be an enemy with him. She smiled as she placed her hand in her apron, “Don't worry...i was just kidding...Best friends can always make up...” She walked away.

True...Best friends can always make up...but... will he and I ever make up? I stared out into the window watching the rain fall from the gray cloudy sky, while waiting for his call.

I didn't even bother to drink my coffee since it will feel awkward drinking alone when he and I use to drink it together.

 

Feeling tired from this gloomy afternoon, I laid my head on the table and fell asleep.