Chapter 1

Foreword

My head slammed against the cement. Not this again, I thought. Ever since I moved to a new high school, so I’d be closer to home, I’ve been the main target at school. It wasn’t like my life always . It used to be great, I had many friends and my family life was great. My dad would take my siblings and me out every weekend for fun. Until the past few years my dad got into alcohol and would leave the house constantly. I haven’t seen him for almost a month now. My older brother and my two sisters moved out the house without a word. My mother worked for long hours, so basically I had the house to myself. I was pretty much used to it now. After I moved I only had one friend that stuck with me, Jonghyun. Jonghyun was two years older than I was; he graduated High school last year and made no plans to go to College so he basically hung around my house day and night. We’ve been friends ever since I could talk. Since day one, he was the one that stayed with me through my toughest times; he was seriously the sweetest person I’ve met. I snapped up. I noticed who shoved me to the ground. Rick.

He grabbed me by the neck and pulled me up. “Fight back sweets, you scared?” He sneered. I glared at him. I was so used to this routine by now I barely even felt the stings and blows as he was hurling them at me. “Rick! Ms. Laughlin is waiting to hand you back your test” screamed one of his friends. He let me go and kicked me in the ribs, before leaving he turned around and spat, “I’m not done with you, you wait.” I laughed. Like what, I thought. I sat up and leaned against the wall. It was a Friday. I could go home and sleep, maybe forever. I stood up and winced. I looked at my shirt and noticed blood soaking through. What the crap? It wasn’t like he kicked me that hard. I lifted up my shirt and the sight almost made me puke. I didn’t even realize he had spikes on his shoes; there were four punctured holes on the sides just below my ribs. I sighed. I looked out into the courtyard, it would take me only five minutes to walk home, or should I call Jonghyun? I thought not. Jonghyun didn’t know anything that happened in school. Whenever he came over it would be past dark and I’d always covered up the bruises and scars with make-up. I made another attempt, and decided to crawl home.

 I reached my doorstep and collapsed. I was in so much pain, I never felt so hurt and angry in so long. What I didn’t understand was how I didn’t feel his kick when he kicked me. By now, the bottom half of my shirt was filled with blood. I started to feel dizzy. I rummaged through my backpack for the house key. I pulled it out and made a last effort to open the door. I nearly passed out when I saw Jonghyun standing there with a bag of chips. He wasn’t supposed to be here, not at this time. He normally came after eight. I just sat there and stared at him. Seconds later he started to get blurry and I collapsed at his feet. -End-