Fourteenth of July: Silver Day

the Fourteenth

You were anxious. Very very anxious. You are a smart person and you pick up things easily. The pattern that has occurred between you and Jongdae on every 14th of the month had become more noticeable and today was Silver Day. Although it was early to assume anything regarding rings, you couldn't help but think about the possibility. 

Rings? Bracelet? Necklace? A watch? You chuckled at the thoughts even though wearing jewelry was not your preference, the idea of it in relation to him, gave you fluttering of the heart. Or there may not be anything at all by the end of today because for the past three months, each month's event on the 14th had been coincidental more than intentional. It was very plausible.

BUT if anything were to occur, you were nervous of those possibility that pop up in your head. This was the emotional mess you didn't want to get into and here you are.

After agreeing to officially be his girlfriend, not much had changed except the fact that people around you began to acknowledge the sight of you two together more often than before. The company was very understanding of the situation but warned the two of you to keep things discreet nontheless. 

The relationship between both of you had been going strong and stable. You would usually talk things out when there were differences in opinions. You would often go out on late night dates and just being within each other's presence was just one of your favourite pastimes together. 

Silver day itself is usually associated with exchange of rings before or after in-person introductions to parents. And despite the stability in your relationship, the idea of being introduced to his parents or the reverse scenario scared you to death if it were to happen. You didn't think you were ready. It was not because you didn't like Jongdae or would have trouble meeting parents of friends or even introducing friends to your own parents but this is Jongdae we're talking about. Someone who has become very special to you over the past few months. Although it was earlier in the relationship, you could feel he was different than other guys you had met in the past. Therefore you wanted everything to go well and right but you felt unsure if you were right for him. They were doubts but not really at the same time. If you had doubts about Jongdae, you wouldn't have given him the trust for the possibility of something more. You just wanted more time to learn more about him: what he likes or doesn't like to eat, what he prefers to wear or not to wear, what his values and other dreams are, for example. You wanted to be prepared of any possible obstacle that may test your ability to take care of him. You didn't want to leave a bad first impression to his family. And most definitely you didn't want to leave Jongdae in disappointment. So you decided that if this topic does come up, you would be extremely honest with him regarding your thoughts so there would not be any misunderstanding between you two. 

 

"Oh noona! There you are!" A familiar voice interrupted your thoughts. When you turned around, you saw Kai jogging down the hall towards you.

"Oh Jongin-ah anyeong. Anything wrong?" You asked noticing the sweats on his face.

"Jongdae hyung wanted me to pass this on to you." In his hands were a folded piece of white paper with your name on it.

"Why didn't he pass it to me himself?" You were curious because he was suppose to meet you in a few hours anyway.

"EXO-M has a sudden change of schedule. Their rehearsal schedule for the big music festival in China got moved earlier than expected so they left earlier but should be in Beijing now." Jongin rubbed his neck as he explained further. "He gave it to me this afternoon but I kinda got caught up in practise. Sorry noona."

You smiled at the hardworking dongsaeng and shook your head. "It's alright. It's still passed on to me. Thank you Jongin." 

"No problem Noona." He was about to retreat back but he remembered something else. "Oh but noona, he told me to tell you that he would be in China for a week because they have a few back-to-back activities there after that music festival."

"Oh. Okay." The hint of sadness and disappointment on your face was obvious.

"Don't be sad noona. I'm sure hyung misses you just the same." He reached to rub your right arm gently. "Be strong noona."

With that, the tall boy bowed and walked away.

Before you open the letter, you reached out your phone and left your lover a message.

 

Camel, work hard!

I'll wait for you when you come back safely.

Saranghae.

- Kyung Jin

 


 

Once you got home, you went to do housework straight away. You cleaned up the place and washed some clothes. When you were about to eat your late night meal, you then remembered the envelope from Jongdae. 

You were shock at the similar shaped objects within the envelope which you failed to notice before. And at this thought, you concluded that you know Jongdae like an open book because what you saw when you opened the envelope was a pair of matching simple silver rings with a heart engraved on each and a small note saying,

Happy Silver Day. Are you surprised? Sorry I left without telling you but when I come back next week I want to take you to my parents and then I would like to meet your parents soon after to let them know I'm serious about you, if you don't mind. If agree with it, please text a 'Saranghae' to me cuz I love you.

From Kim Jongdae, your camel.

 

 

Now that was a shocker. 

 

 


 

A/N: first of all, THANK YOU FOR ALL THE NEW SUBSCRIBERS! I hope you stay with this story until the very end. This chapter may feel like a bit of a filler but it is to build up onto the next chapter.

Also, @nfrdae : I agree with you too! I hope he gets the rest that he deserves. He looked quite tired from the airport pictures but I feel grateful every time I see him end up smiling. Anyway, thank you for subscription! I hope this update and those that are coming up soon will not disappoint you. See you at the next one!