Living arrangements

Rookies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The sound of rustling leaves filled the air as if they were whispering the coming of fall, little echoes of footsteps wherever the wind ran wild.  It had been a few days since Woohyun had gotten back, and he had used this time to catch up on his civilian life.  He was currently sprawled on the floor of his dorm room, attempting to find the best apartment location that matched his current budget. 

His thoughts swerve off their course when he hears the racket from the room inside.  There’s loud shrieks and shrills from the small kitchenette, someone screeching that monkeys can be tamed as perfect domestic animals, while another voice, which he immediately recognized as his roommate’s, called said person an utter imbecile of just lank arms and legs.      

The voices follow through to the living area where Woohyun was on the floor, and his roommate emerged with a book as thick as a plank perched between his arms.  A rather tall fellow was right on his heels, still rambling without pause until he sees Woohyun on the floor.

“I thought you guys were studying doctor-y things for that test next week,” Woohyun says with a smile, his hand raised in a greeting gesture.

His young roommate starts rolling his eyes, “We were, but then Sungyeol wanted to argue about monkeys--”

“--you asked me what pet I’d want first,” and the bickering simply flared up again.  Woohyun felt a slight longing for this playful squabble between friends, remembering the times from when he was still an enrolled student himself.  He suddenly felt aged, like years had been packed underneath his feet, lifting him to look upon the younger ones from a rather reminiscent telescope of time.

The little banter fades to white noise in the back of his mind, his eyes going unfocused as he thinks of his future.  It starts to seep into his mind that he has no solid foundation; no root goal, and it’s a struggle, wriggling around in the corners of the room to put definition in the perfect little box of his mind.

“Woohyun”

Perhaps it’s natural to fumble around like this.  Perhaps the reality of the world is rising from the horizon to dawn on him.

“Woohyun!”

He snaps out of his daze, looking up to the rumbling voice coming out of his roommates lean little body.  “Yeah?”

“You were zoning out on me.  I was asking you if you wanted something to eat, Sungyeol’s going to get some food.”

“No I already ate, thanks,” he smiles, rolling around on his back and stretching his arms over his head.

His roommate simply shrugs, and the two med students head towards the door before Woohyun yells out from the floor, pretty much talking to the ceiling more than his roommate.  “Sungjong I’ll be moving out soon, okay!”

Sungjong’s laugh comes from the door, and then it shuts behind the two, silence slowly settling back in the room.

Woohyun’s not sure how long he spent lying on that floor, thinking over and over again, trying to define his happiness.  Then the ringtone of his phone blares out in the room, and he scrambles upright when he sees Sunggyu’s name on the screen.  

“Hello?”

“Woohyun, it’s Sunggyu.”

“Hey partner, it’s been a while since I got more than a word from you.”

A small laugh comes from the other line, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter