Now we're partners

Rookies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They’re following a red pick-up truck down Riverside Boulevard, keeping a distance and weaving in and out of traffic about a half mile behind. 

“Plates are stolen,” Sunggyu says quietly, his fingers typing at the PDT. 

“I feel like they’re catching on to us,” Woohyun’s sweating in his seat, his hands loose on the steering wheel.

“Just act normal.”

“What if they shoot at us?” Woohyun goes off like an alarm, a nervous wreck of a soul stuck in his body.

“Woohyun, it’s a routine traffic stop.”

“You don’t care do you?”

“No, I don’t.  There, look, they’re getting on the service road, hit it now.”

Woohyun swallows the lump in his throat and follows through, gearing up right to the red truck, lights on, and flickering the siren once.  The truck slows down, signaling to the right.  It rolls to the shoulder to make a stop.

“Are you going to come too?”  Woohyun’s still in his seat, his eyes stuck on the truck in front like a hawk.  He’s pretty sure he heard a snicker from the man next to him.

“Sure.  I’m only going to be watching though, the rest is up to you.  You’ll be in control.”

They get out of their car slowly, hands by the hip, gingerly taking steps around to the front.  They barely make it to the front bumper before the truck’s wheels spin, the engine roaring as the truck takes off. 

“Damn it,” Woohyun screeches, scrambling back to the unit car, Sunggyu right on his heel.

It blows into a full-pledged chase, lights and siren in full display as the truck zooms off, merging on the highway.

“I told you they were on to us,” Woohyun starts off, the adrenaline pumping loud in his ears now.

“Of course they were, now keep your head cool and follow them.  Put your EPOC training into use,” Sunggyu sits back like a hoary pillar, the scene all too familiar to him.

Woohyun sinks his teeth into his lip.  He could swear Sunggyu must have known this was coming.

The odometer has surpassed 120 by now, and Woohyun’s on the tip of the truck’s bed, impulse taking over as he reels onto it, grazing the side of the truck bed and tipping it into a swerve.  Sunggyu’s voice comes out like a hurricane, and Woohyun slams on the brake.

“Corner him,” Sunggyu’s hammering him as he gets out of the car, his voice potent as he demands the truck driver to get down on the ground.  Woohyun meets him from the other side, both of them pinning the driver down, a tangle of bodies and fists and sweat dripping-forehead

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter