Chapter 02

Five Centimeters Per Second

“Eunji~ Can you please help me in this part?”

A brunette looks up from reading her book, her brown eyes framed behind glasses. A small smile played on her lips as she nodded once. “Sure. Which part was it?”

Her friend, a black-haired female named Shouko handed her the Geometry textbook and pointed to the part on the theorems she had difficulty with.

“Ah, this. You just have to follow the example on this page and…” Eunji took a pencil and encircled a few important key words. “…just keep this formula in mind.”

Shouko nodded vigorously and beamed at her. “Thanks, Eunji~ You really are a great help~” She however, frowned when she saw that her friend was engrossed in reading another book. “Reading again?”

Eunji blushed as she buried herself in the book she was reading. “Y-yeah~” Shouko sighed and dragged a chair to sit beside her. “You know, you won’t gain any friends if you keep on being like that.”

Eunji placed her book down and frowned. “I’m already contented having a few. I don’t like being popular. Being surrounded constantly by crowds gives me a headache.”

Shouko just shook her head and instantly her face lit up when she remembered something. “Wait a minute.”

Eunji’s eyes looked at her with curiosity as the girl went to her seat and grabbed something inside her bag. When she came back, she was holding a pink envelope in hand. Eunji’s eyes lit up as something registered in the back of her mind. Could it be…?

“Shin asked me to give this to you~ Happy Hearts Day!” Shouko immediately exclaimed, squealing in the process. Eunji’s face fell. That statement wasn’t what she was expecting.

“Oh.” She mumbled as she turned back to her reading. Shouko pouted. “Yah. Why the long face? You should just answer Shin! He’s like…been in love with you since first year!”

Eunji glared at her as she looked up from her book. “I don’t like him though.” Shouko lightly slapped her arm. “Ow!”

“Just accept and read it will you? Aish. Shin, that poor guy.” Shouko scolded her and Eunji simply rolled her eyes. Shouko noticed that she wasn’t paying any attention to her anymore so she shifted the topic. “Ah~ I’m excited for our field trip to Seoul next week~!”

A smile slowly crept up to the corners of Eunji’s mouth. “Yeah.”

Shouko turned to her and grinned. “You’ll be meeting up someone there right?”

Eunji’s cheeks flared up and she turned back to Shouko, sputtering. “I-it’s not what you think! Mou!”

Shouko simply smirked and whispered lowly “Eh~ I’ll pretend I’ll just believe what you said then~”

It was Eunji’s turn to slap her friend’s arm. “Yah! I told you it’s not like that!”

Shouko only laughed and at that moment, the bell rang.


“I’m home.” Eunji called out wearily as soon as she entered her house. Their housekeeper, a middle-aged woman called Yuuko answered her call as she laid out a pair of slippers for Eunji to wear.

“Welcome home, Eunji-ah~” she greeted and Eunji just nodded in reply. “Is Mom home?”

“She won’t be back home until tonight, though your Dad’s cooking dinner.” Yuuko answered. Eunji nodded and was about to head to her room but Yuuko suddenly said something.

“ Before I forget, there’s a letter for you here. It’s from Seoul. It just came in here earlier this morning.” The housekeeper handed her the letter and Eunji’s heart fluttered as she saw the name of the sender. She nodded and smiled to the housekeeper.

“Thanks, Yuuko~ I’ll go read this in my room.” She replied and headed upstairs to her bedroom.

Once she arrived she locked the door shut and flung her bag across the room. She hurriedly got the letter opener from her dresser and carefully opened the letter.

It was a week since she had sent the letter to Kyuhyun and now he replied to her. She couldn’t help but feel a little giddy as she pulled out the folded paper inside the envelope.

She held it close to her nose and carefully sniffed. It smelt of roses and she smiled to herself. She opened the letter and carefully read over Kyuhyun’s neat handwriting.

 

Dear Eunji,

Hey. It’s truly been a long time since we had communicated with each other. I got your letter last Monday. The postman delivered here at our house.

Ah, and don’t worry. I still remembered you. You changed a bit though. Your hair became longer and it really suits you. 

You said you’re going to Seoul next week for your field trip right? I’ll wait for you at  the bus station. Just give me a call: xxx-xxx-xxx

I can’t wait to see you again.

-Kyuhyun

As she read the letter to herself she can’t help but feel the warm feeling rise up to her cheeks. She threw herself to her bed and squealed.

“I’m going to see Kyuhyun again…” She mumbled to herself as she closed her eyes and sighed. She rolled over and turned to face the ceiling.

 

I can’t wait to see you and tell you how much I missed you.

.

.

.

See you soon, Cho Kyuhyun.

 

Author’s Note: Yeah, so these two are finally meeting each other on the next chapter~ Stay tuned for it guys! Feedback as always, is loved~ :3