Chapter 03

Five Centimeters Per Second

“It seems I got here quite early…”

Eunji sighed wearily as she stood absentmindedly outside the school gates. Today was the day of their school trip to Seoul and she had to admit that she was excited considering the fact that she got at the meeting area ten minutes before the scheduled arrival time.

She pulled out her phone from her pocket and scrolled through her contact list. Her finger hovered over one contact and her heart fluttered slightly as she was carefully contemplating whether she should call Kyuhyun or not.

“Maybe he’s still sleeping…It’s a Saturday after all…” Eunji mumbled quietly to herself. Kyuhyun would probably be still asleep since he probably was up all night playing computer games.

She sighed deeply before pressing the ‘Message’ button. Typing quickly, she sent him a text message to see if he was going to reply or not.

“Hey. It’s Eunji. Good morning

That accomplished, she stuffed her phone back into her skirt pocket and quietly waited for the others to arrive.

“Hey, Eunji. You’re here quite early?”

Her head snapped at the sound of that familiar male voice and disappointment and annoyance washed over her whole being as she saw that it was Shin, the guy who had been after her since their first year in junior high.

Kwon Jung Shin. He was a tall guy, probably six feet and was the council president. He was actually pretty good-looking himself, and was one of the most sought-after males in her school. The only downside is he tends to be really clingy and spaces out often.

Eunji didn’t know why the guy decided to chase after her; she was the type that was rarely noticeable and she didn’t have any pretty features. She sighed and smiled at him.

“Yeah. It seems.” Eunji timidly replied and decided to fish her earphones out of her skirt pocket. Shin shuffled uncomfortably in his position and he decided to speak again.

“Ahm…did you..receive my letter on Valentines’ Day?” He remarked and Eunji didn’t even bother to look up from scrolling through her track list as she replied, “What letter? I haven’t received any.”

Please leave me alone. Those were the thoughts that ran inside her mind that moment and she quickly plugged in her earphones to block out whatever he’s saying. Sure, it may be rude but she was sick of the guy chasing her and trying to be close to her.

Shin continued to talk about something but Eunji wasn’t listening as the first verses of the song started to resonate in her ears. In the midst of her listening, a beep was heard, signalling that she had received a message.

She immediately sighed and took out the phone. Her eyes immediately lit up when Kyuhyun replied to her text.

Hey. Up early aren’t you? Good morning to you, too, Eunji.

A smile flitted across her lips as she didn’t hesitate to reply back to him, her fingers moving quickly across the keypad.

Same goes for you too. Haha. Isn’t it a Saturday? –Eunji

Nah. Mom forced me to go out since I always get glued to the computer. – Kyuhyun

Sounds like what you always do~ Well, following Auntie is a first. Usually you’d rebelled so fiercely. – Eunji

I had no choice this time. She said she’ll ground me from using my computer if I didn’t get to breath in some fresh air. – Kyuhyun

Haha! About time you did that too~ Being glued to the computer isn’t nice you know? – Eunji

Look at you. You sound like my mom. Haha. – Kyuhyun

Eunji’s lips curled into a pout as she re-read the message. “What? Is he implying I’m getting old?!” She mutters under her breath as she decided to type a reply.

What do you mean by that?! Are you saying I’m getting old? >:( - Eunji

She huffed silently and shoved the phone inside her pocket once more, blowing her bangs out of her face in the process. The chilly morning air made her shiver unconsciously and she rubbed her arms to keep herself warm. Dressed in only her sweater and jeans seemed to be insufficient.

“I should have brought along my jacket…” Eunji mutters to herself. She only gasped after a while when something warm and fuzzy came to rest on her shoulders. She turned back and her gaze met with Shin’s.

The male blushed unconsciously, his arms on top of Eunji’s shoulders as he placed his jacket over her shoulders. “You looked cold… you could use this.” He muttered as he smiled at her.

Eunji smiled a bit at the concern and replied, “Thanks. But you need it, too..” She shrugged it off her shoulders and handed it back to him. “You’ll catch a cold if you don’t wear it. At least I have my sweater.”

Shin’s eyes seemed to lit up. “Are you sure?” Eunji nodded. “I don’t want you to catch a cold because of me, okay?”

The male nodded and he wore his jacket. Eunji just sighed once again and turned to her phone. It lit up and it seemed that Kyuhyun was getting impatient with waiting for her replies.

Yes, haha! You’re getting old. –Kyuhyun

I should call you ahjumma xD –Kyuhyun

Hey, Eunji? Are you mad? –Kyuhyun

Come on. Why aren’t you replying? Is this about the ‘ahjumma’ thing? –Kyuhyun

Alright, I’m sorry. I won’t tease you again. Please reply. –Kyuhyun

Hey Eunji? –Kyuhyun

Eunji stifled a laugh at his replies and without a second thought she quickly typed in the message she needed to reply.

Dummy, I’m not mad. Stop flooding my inbox okay? Lol. You were nervous that I may be angry at you, Cho? –Eunji

He was quick to reply and she laughed softly at his reply.

Geez. I thought you deleted my number for a second there. So am I forgiven? –Kyuhyun

Hmmm… I’ll think about it? –Eunji

Come on, why??? –Kyuhyun

Just kiddin’! Okay, okay. You’re forgiven. –Eunji

Phew. So this means I can call you ‘ahjumma’? haha! –Kyuhyun

Say that one more time and I’ll strangle you once I get to Seoul. (=_=) -Eunji

Oh so you’re going to Seoul today? –Kyuhyun

Yeah. In a while~ you want to pick me up? –Eunji

Sure. Why not? Just send me your bus number. –Kyuhyun

She smiled inwardly. Just when she was about to reply back, a slap across her shoulders jerked her back to reality. Eunji gasped and turned to glare at her attacker. The culprit? Her best friend, Fujiwara Shouko. The female was flashing her a goofy grin as she held out a ‘peace’ sign.

“Yo, Eunji! Good mornin’~” Shouko greeted her. Eunji glared at her and crossed her arms across her chest. “Yeah. What a wonderful way to greet me good morning, Shouko.”

Her friend only laughed and she slung an arm across Eunji’s shoulders. “Sorry about that~ Here. How about I give you this espresso as compensation?” Shouko held out a cup of steaming coffee to her. Eunji smiled. “You know me too well~”

She accepted the coffee with a smile and the two of them decided to sit at the nearby bench. Shin was with the other student council officers who arrived the same time Shouko did, and all he did was signal a nod to Eunji informing he’ll go ahead.

Shouko didn’t seem to ignore this and she playfully nudged Eunji with an elbow. “What is it again, Shouko?” Eunji sighed, taking a sip of her espresso, wincing when it was too hot for her liking.

“Seems like you and Shin spent some quality time before I got here, hmm?” Shouko remarked playfully as Eunji just glared at her. She put her cup of espresso on the bench and grabbed a book out of her bag. “What? We just talked—“

Before Eunji could finish her sentence, Shouko had grabbed her by her shoulders and started to shake her violently. “Did he…did he…did he confess?!” Her friend giddily asked as she continued to shake poor Eunji.

“G-gaah! Shouko, calm down!” Eunji remarks and Shouko pulled back, smiling sheepishly. “Sorry~ My feels got the better of me! Now spill! Did Kwon Jung Shin confess to you?! Are you dating now?!”

Eunji had to slap a hand over Shouko’s mouth. She sighed and held out her finger. “Shin didn’t confess to me, okay? Don’t get too excited. We’re not dating either.”

Shouko’s shoulders slumped and she sighed. “You two are unbelievable.” Eunji winked. “Deal with it. Besides, Shin’s not my type. Not at all.”

“People who tend to say that about someone they’re linked to end up together in the end.” Shouko replied, pointing a finger at Eunji to emphasize. Eunji giggled. “No. Really. Shin’s not my type. He’s too…mainstream.”

“Oh? Then what’s your type, then~ Miss Hwang Eunji?” Shouko replied, raising an eyebrow.

Eunji immediately blushed as the face of Cho Kyuhyun emerged in her head. She immediately shook it off and replied to her friend, “It’s for me to know and for you to find out.”

Before Shouko could reply however, their homeroom teacher arrived. “All right everyone! Since you’re all excited, let’s board the bus! Section A goes first!”

“Neh~” All of the students chorused and then everyone soon started to board the bus. As Eunji sat near the window seat, excitement washed over her. Just a little more. See you later, Cho Kyuhyun.

 

“Why does she take so long to reply?” Kyuhyun muttered under his breath as he lay down the bench on the city’s park. The reason he was here was because his mom forcibly dragged him downstairs and insisted on taking a jog on the park since he wasn’t getting any exercise done. He was about to complain that he was still tired not until his mom threatened to cut off his allowance and ground him from playing Starcraft, hence the reason he was out here in the park, doing what his mom wanted him to do.

In the end, his lazy nature took the better of him and here he was, lying on the bench and engaging in a text conversation with his childhood friend.

The conversation turned out to be fun and when he replied that Eunji will just text him her bus number, she never replied back.

“Seriously. Does she want to ditch me or something?” He muttered under his breath as he plugged in his headphones. Just as he was about to scroll through his tracklist, his phone beeped and his eyes lit up as it was a message from Eunji.

Hey. Sorry for the late reply~ It was hard getting a signal here. The bus I’m taking is JC1088. I’ll be there in Seoul after four hours, though. –Eunji

It’s fine. I still have chores to do anyways. I’ll probably be done by the time you guys got here. –Kyuhyun

Ha! You, chores? Since when did you do chores? You always ditch them! Yah, Cho Kyuhyun! Tell me the truth. –Eunji

You got me~ I’m going to play Starcraft with my friends, ;) –Kyuhyun

Thought so. *sighs* Never mind. I’ll probably waste my breath scolding you. –Eunji

Haha~ You know me too well. –Kyuhyun

Anyways, I’ll text you later. See you~ -Eunji

K. Bye~ Have a safe trip. –Kyuhyun

You too. Good luck on your game. –Eunji

 

He closed his phone after that and sat up the bench. Kyuhyun took a glance at his wristwatch. It was 7 in the morning, and since Eunji’s trip will probably last up to 4 hours, he has until 11 am to play.

He grins and stretches his arms, eyeing the direction of the computer café across the street.

“Well then~ time to go to business.”

Author’s Note:

Hi!

I’m finally back~ School officially ended and it’s now summer here! Well partially, since I still have to go back to school for recognition program practices and such. I ranked third place in the whole 3rd year high school students so I’m really happy~!

To apologize for the long wait, I made this update a bit long~ I’m working diligently for the next chapter so anticipate for it guys!

Thanks to those who read, subscribed and upvoted~

Leave a comment on what you think of this chapter, okay? :D

Until the next update, guys~