Chapter 04

Five Centimeters Per Second

“Are we there yet?”

Eunji had to control the urge to slam the book she was currently reading in Shouko’s face as her friend continued to pester her for the previous two hours.

“Neh, Eunji! Are we getting any closer? I’m booooorrrreeeddd….” Shouko whined, resting her head in Eunji’s shoulder. Eunji closed her book with a loud ‘flap!’ and she fixed her friend a glare. “Fujiwara Shouko! You’ve been asking that same question for the past few hours!”

“EHHHH!! But I’m really, really—Ow! Eunji!” Shouko’s words of protest were cut off when Eunji brought her book down on Shouko’s head, and since it was leather-bound, it definitely hurt.

“Mou! Eunji why did you do that~? It hurt...” Shouko pouted and rubbed her head while fixing Eunji a glare. The brunette just sighed and rested her cheek on the window of the bus window. “You were too noisy.”

“Sheesh! You always…”

Eunji closed her eyes briefly and let the silence drown out whatever Shouko was saying. In her right hand, the leather book was still clutched tightly.

With the numbness and the calming silence, she let sleep take over her senses as the bus ride continued on. The bus halted suddenly causing her to jerk suddenly, her book falling down the floor. Eunji opened her eyes and rubbed her temples. “Are we…here…?”

Shouko yawned and turned to face her friend. “Ehh? Not yet, Eunji. We’re just gonna make a quick stopover. Come on. I’m cold. Let’s grab something warm to drink.”

Eunji sighed as her friend forcibly dragged her out in the cold weather and entered the rest stop. Shouko went ahead and left her to buy some coffee while Eunji lingered behind and decided to look at a few trinkets at a souvenir shop.

“What should I get for…Kyuhyun?” She wondered quietly as her eyes drifted through the table until the woman behind the counter approached her instead and said, “Finding a gift for your boyfriend?”

Eunji looked up, surprised and immediately her cheeks flushed pink at the thought of Kyuhyun as her boyfriend. “Ah--! It-it’s not like that, Ah-ahjumma~” She then started to laugh awkwardly.

The woman flashed a knowing smile and her eyes drifted to a pair of couple bracelets on top of the shelf. She held it out for Eunji to see. “How about these? I’m sure guys would like to have something simple.”

Eunji blinked and observed the bracelets. They were made out of brown beads on a string and really weren’t that flashy. A small smile crept up to the corners of and she turned to the woman smiling, “I’ll get these ahjumma. Please wrap it up for me.”

The woman was happy to oblige and soon had it wrapped in a box. Handing it to Eunji, she winked. “I hope your boyfriend likes your little present.”

Eunji once more reddened and she tried to protest, “Ahjumma~ I told you it’s not for my—“

“Eunji~! Hurry up! We’re going~!”

Her protest was cut off by Shouko calling out for her in the shop. Eunji turned around and bowed to the woman. “Th-thank you~!”

The woman nodded and waved her off. “You’re welcome~ And have a safe trip~”

Eunji nodded and smiled and sprinted to where Shouko was. Boarding the bus, Shouko noticed the wrapped package Eunji was clutching tightly in her hands. She nudged her friend who quickly slipped the package inside her backpack.

“What is it Shouko?” Eunji asked, reaching for her book on the floor as she fixed her bangs. Shouko flashed her a knowing smirk. “You’re definitely meeting someone up in Seoul.”

Eunji instantly pinked and closed her book abruptly. “Wh-what? What made you say that?” Then she laughed nervously. Shouko grinned. “Then what’s that package for hmm?”

Eunji’s eyes darted around the place trying to avoid her friend’s questions. “Wh-what package--?”

“Don’t even think of lying to me Eunji~ I can see right through you. Now who’s the present for?” Shouko pressed, an eager smile on her lips. Eunji sighed and beckoned for Shouko to come closer.

Eunji dropped her voice to a whisper and smirked, “I’m not telling~”

Shouko gaped and turned to her with a pout. “Ehh~ Why?”

Eunji laughed and handed a stuffed bun to her. “Secret~ Now eat this up. As compensation.”

Taking a frustrated bite out of the bun, Shouko only nodded.


 

They were nearing Seoul so Eunji took out her phone. She glanced over to Shouko who was sleeping soundly behind her, drooling. Eunji sighed and muttered, “Geez, Shouko. You really are hopeless.”

Her fingers quickly typed in a message and she sent it to Kyuhyun.

Nearing Seoul. Will be there in probably 15 more minutes. See you, Cho~ -Eunji

She snapped her phone shut and stuffed it in her pocket as she leaned against the glass window pane, her eyes consumed by the scenery. “Just a little more. Wait for me, okay?” She muttered quietly as she shut her eyes again once more.


 

“Yeah! I won again~ Sungmin, better ready your wallet for the food you’ll treat me later.”

Kyuhyun snickered from behind the computer monitor, his eyes eager behind the frame of his glasses as he listened to Sungmin’s complaints behind his headphones.

“Geez Kyu! It’s impossible to beat you at this game you know!” Sungmin whined from his headphones and Kyuhyun clucked his tongue as his fingers moved quickly across the keyboard, his other hand clicking the mouse button furiously.

“Idiot. We made a deal in the first place, didn’t we? Now hurry up and let’s finish this!” Kyuhyun remarked into his mic and quickly loaded his character’s finishing skill onto the screen.

His phone vibrated in his pocket so he quickly withdrew it out, without taking his eyes off the screen. A whine from Sungmin on his headphones suggested that he already lost and soon enough a screen pulled up in Kyuhyun’s monitor. He smirked.

“Victory again~!” Kyuhyun remarked, laughing quietly before scanning his phone screen. His breath hitched in his throat as he saw the message from Eunji.

Nearing Seoul. Will be there in probably 15 more minutes. See you, Cho~ -Eunji

His cheeks pinked unconsciously and his heart did a double pace. Fif-fifteen minutes…I’ll be seeing her again…

“Yah, Kyu! You still there?! I’m giving up I said~ Hurry up! Let’s go out and grab something to eat.” Sungmin’s voice echoed from the headphones and his tone sounded irritated. Kyuhyun shook his head and took off his headphones.

Standing up from the computer stall he stretched his arms. “Yah, Sungmin. I’m here. Let’s log out.”

Sungmin stood up from his stall and sighed, running a hair through his brown locks as they approached the counter and dropped off their payments. Exiting the shop, they quickly shielded their eyes from the sunlight.

“Ah. I’m starved~ Yah, Sungmin. I wanna grab a bowl of ramyun. Let’s go.” Kyuhyun muttered as he nudged Sungmin who grunted an irritated, “I know.”

As they walked towards the said restaurant, Kyuhyun was scanning his message logs and he quickly typed in a reply.

Got it. You want me to grab you something to eat before I pick you up? –Kyuhyun

Sungmin pushed the glass doors of the ramyun shop open and frowned when he saw Kyuhyun fumbling with his phone. He let out an exasperated sigh and grabbed Kyuhyun’s arm, dragging him inside the shop.

“Stop staring at your phone! Here we are. Tell me your order so that you can go ahead and find a seat.” Sungmin grumbled. Kyuhyun sighed and scanned his eyes over the menu and told Sungmin what he wanted to eat.

He chose a seat near the window and quickly took a glance at his phone. Eunji had replied.

No, it’s fine~ I already grabbed some snacks. Btw, we’re nearing the bus stop at Myeongdong –Eunji

Kyuhyun glanced up at his friend who came over to him, carrying two glasses of water. “We’ll have to wait for a while for the food, Kyu. You fine with that?”

Kyuhyun sighed and stuffed his phone down his pocket and quickly downed his glass of water in an instant. “Sorry, Sungmin. I gotta go somewhere for a while.” He winked and stood up, “Just wrap it up for me!”

He quickly made his way out of the shop. “Y-yah! Kyu! Where you going? Don’t leave me--!!” Sungmin’s cries echoed through the shop as he sprinted outside.

Sorry, dude. But I got more important things to take care of right now. Kyuhyun thought as he made his way through the streets of Myeongdong towards the bus stop.

“Alright! We’re here, everybody! We’ll get off the bus one by one! As soon as you get down, gather in a group and stay close!”

Their homeroom teacher’s voice echoed through the bus and everyone nodded, excited to step into the streets of Seoul.

“Eunji~ Wake up! We’re here~” Shouko gently shook her friend’s shoulders awake and Eunji blinked her eyes open and gave a small yawn.

“We’re…*yawn* here…?” She mumbled sleepily and stretched her arms, pushing her eyeglasses up the bridge of her nose.

“Yeah~ and we’re going out next so prepare your stuff!” Shouko squealed and quickly grabbed her things. Eunji grabbed her backpack and soon filed out of the bus. Their homeroom teacher was out so she quickly approached her.

“Seongsaenim...” Eunji started off and their teacher looked at her with a soft smile. “Yes, Eunji?”

Eunji bit her lower lip and smiled, “Someone actually wants to pick me up here.” The older woman’s smile faltered. “Who?”

“Umm…a friend…” She shyly replied and her teacher sighed. “Well. If it’s someone you know, its fine by me. However, make sure to contact me if something goes wrong okay?”

Eunji nodded and soon enough as the whole class was taking turns loading a van that was headed to their hotel. Shouko nudged her as she noticed Eunji wasn’t boarding the vehicle. “Eunji…?”

“I’m waiting for someone here, Shouko~ You guys go ahead.” Eunji replied and Shouko pouted, then suddenly grinned. “Told you my hunch was right you were going to meet up someone here~”

Eunji immediately pinked. “Geez. Go ahead, take care! I’ll be back there in a while.” Shouko stuck her tongue out and saluted, and immediately the van sped off, leaving Eunji with the second batch of her classmates.

“Eunji, you’re not coming with us?” Shin’s voice echoed beside her and she slightly jumped. “Ah. Yeah. Someone’s picking me up today.” Eunji replied and smiled. Shin raised an eyebrow and sighed. “Are you sure that ‘someone’ is safe and to be trusted. You want me to stay with you—“

“Ah, no need~ No need~ I thank you for the concern.” Eunji interrupted him gently and sighed before continuing. “It’s a family friend~ and besides I’ve been around Seoul before so I can manage.”

Shin gave her a look before turning around, his cheeks tinted pink. “Ah. Is that so? Well then. Take care.” He muttered and as soon as he said that, the van arrived and pretty soon all the students were headed to their hotel.

Eunji sighed and took a seat at a bench, glancing at her watch. He’s late… She sighed and her gaze averted to the busy scene of the people in Seoul. Everyone’s rushing, huh…?

She sighed and was about to text a message to him, until a familiar male voice sounded from afar.

“EUNJI!”

Her heart skipped a beat and she slowly turned around to her right. She blushed subconsciously as he stopped in front of her, breathless from all the running. He grinned at her boyishly and took off his glasses.

“Kyu-Kyuhyun…” Eunji stuttered as she took in his appearance. He certainly became taller and became more handsome last time they saw each other.

 

 

He flashed her a soft smile. “Sorry, I’m late.”

Around them, the cherry blossom petals slowly fluttered to the ground.

 

 


Author’s Note:

There~ They met each other! I wonder what’ll happen next~ Hahaha!

Please leave a comment, vote, or subscribe~

Thanks for reading!