Chapter 01

Five Centimeters Per Second

Dear Kyuhyun,

How are you?

I’m sorry that I haven’t written to you in such a long time. The summer heat here is hot, yet I know that it’s a lot bearable compared to Seoul’s. Though I sometimes miss the hot, humid summers of Seoul, too (haha).

The last time we were together was on the day of our elementary graduation, isn’t it? Now it’s our third year in junior high. It’s quite a long time since we last saw each other. Time flies fast, doesn’t it?

Ne, Kyuhyun… I was wondering…

…do you still remember me?

-Eunji

 

He couldn’t help but smile at the letter she sent him that day. Kyuhyun folded the letter back into the envelope. He immediately knew it was from her when he saw her handwriting. He placed the envelope under his desk and immediately stared outside the window.

Of course he remembered her.

Hwang Eunji. Brown-haired girl with doe eyes. Fair-skinned. Very feminine and speaks only when her opinion is needed. Bookworm. His childhood friend.

A small smile tugged on the corners of his mouth at the memory and before he could indulge in another one, a hand tapped his shoulder. Kyuhyun sighed and turned back, flashing a smug stare at the person who tapped him.

“Yah, Kyu. What’s with the face?” A boy with brown hair and with eyes that twinkle whenever he spoke. Lee Sungmin. He was Kyuhyun’s classmate and practically, the person who he got close with him in this school.

“Psh. Stop annoying me, will you?” Kyuhyun answers back and shrugged his friend’s hand off his shoulder. Sungmin’s lips formed a small pout as he sat on the seat in front of Kyuhyun’s desk. “Why so grumpy?”

Kyuhyun simply narrowed his eyes at him before retorting back an, “You don’t have to know.”

Sungmin shrugged and his eyes lit up as a thought entered his mind. “It’s a girl isn’t it?”

 

Kyuhyun nearly choked and turned to face Sungmin, his cheeks slightly tinged pink. “Huh?! What’re you talking about?”

Sungmin smirked. “Looks like I hit the jackpot.” He leaned closer and dropped his voice to a hush. “Now who’s the lucky girl? Is it Seohyun from the other section?”

Kyuhyun glared at him before leaning back on his chair. “Nope, and it’s not Seohyun. Geez, what exactly are you thinking?”

“You’re like a girl on her perio—owww!! Yah! It hurts!” Sungmin was about to retort but was cut off when Kyuhyun pulled on one of his ears to shut him up.

“Care to finish your statement?” Kyuhyun seethed, tugging harder on Sungmin’s right ear. “I repent! Let go of my ear!” Sungmin whined, and Kyuhyun finally let go of his ear.

Sungmin pouted. “So violent.” Kyuhyun simply sighed and turned to stare back at the window once again. Sungmin narrowed his eyes and caught sight of the pink envelope on top of Kyuhyun’s desk. He snatched it before the brunet could notice.

“Yah, Kyu. What is this? A love letter?” Sungmin remarked, opening the flap of the envelope open and yanking the pink stationary inside.

Kyuhyun immediately tensed and attempted to snatch the letter away. “Give it back! It’s an invasion of privacy—“

Sungmin smirked and purposely held it out of his reach. “Why are you getting so worked up Kyu? Could it be from a long lost love?” he flashed a mischievous smirk and scanned over the letter’s content quickly.

“Lee Sungmin! Give it back, I said--!” Kyuhyun attempted to reach for it, but before he could yank it out of Sungmin’s grasp, a smaller piece of paper fluttered down the floor. He bent over and reached for it before Sungmin could pounce on it and he immediately shoved it inside his pants’ pocket.

Sungmin handed him back the letter after reading and flashed Kyuhyun a smirk. “Eunji, huh? Who’s she? Your first love?”

Kyuhyun flashed him a glare and snatched the letter from him. “Who she is does not concern you.”

Sungmin whistled lowly. “Ooh. I smell possessiveness. Is she a secret girlfriend?”

“I told you it’s not like that!” Kyuhyun snapped back.

“CHO KYUHYUN AND LEE SUNGMIN! GET BACK TO YOUR SEATS RIGHT THIS INSTANT!”

The teacher’s loud voice echoed from the front of the room and she was sending the two bickering males seething glares before placing her hands on the desk. The two guys immediately bowed down and apologized, “N-Nae! We apologize seongsaenim!!”

 

The rest of the day passed by like a blur. Kyuhyun practically threw himself on his bed when he got straight home. He kicked off his socks and grabbed his headphones on top of his drawer before plugging it in his phone, putting his playlist on shuffle.

He was about to close his eyes when he suddenly remembered the smaller piece of paper he shoved inside his pocket earlier. In a frenzy, he stood up and immediately searched his pockets, sighing in relief when he found it.

He carefully unfolded it and immediately his eyes widened in surprise as to what it is.

It was a self-portrait of Eunji. Her brown hair that once reached her shoulders now flowed up to her waist and her lovely brown eyes were still framed behind her thick glasses. She was flashing a shy smile at the camera, dressed in a casual jeans and a shirt. Behind her was a park, with cherry blossom petals scattered all over.

He could feel a smile creep to the corners of his lips and then he flipped the paper and he carefully read over the small text at the back.

Here’s a photo. I look too different here right now, don’t you think? Maybe you won’t even remember me this way.

He frowned. “Aish. This girl…”

His eyes focused on the small P.S on the bottom of the photo.

I think our class will be going to Seoul for our field trip next week. So I guess we’ll be seeing each other again, right?

I hope you won’t forget me. Reply to me if you can, neh?

As he read the last few sentences, he can’t help but admit that his heart did flutter for a bit. He smiled at the photo before tucking it back again in his pants.

After three years, I’ll be finally seeing you again.

.

.

.

.

I never forgot about you, Hwang Eunji.

 

 

 

Author’s Note: Feedback is loved. <3