Ambiguous Beginnings

Beautiful Disaster

"They were good people...my parents," Jaeho started off, unsure of how to begin his story.

"Were?" Yoojung inquired cautiously.

"Were," Jaeho stated, quickening his pace afterwards -- almost as if to escape his words and thoughts. Yoojung allowed the gap to slowly grow before silently jogging back beside him. Jaeho's snapback appeared to resemble his confidence meter as it was pushed down further than before. Seeing that Jaeho was clearly still uncomfortable about the topic, Yoojung did not wish to prod him any further and decided the best she could offer in that moment was her company.

It was a rare occasion for Jaeho to even attempt to share something personal with others. While the topic of his parents death was still indeed a bitter one, it was not the reason for his silence. Rather, Jaeho was wondering how to satisfy Yoojung’s curiosity without revealing too much about the details and appearing vulnerable. Ultimately thinking it wouldn’t be such a bad idea in the long-run, he felt more comfortable with continuing.

"Since I was younger, I have always been proud of my parents. I remember bragging to my classmates that my parents were superheroes, and in my head, there was not a hint of exaggeration in my words. They researched diseases and were well on their way to saving many lives through science. Despite being passionate about their profession, they did not disregard their duties as parents. They never missed a school event of mine, and I have all the essential childhood memories from rollerblading in the park to being read to sleep every night. It is the cruelty of reality that the good people are always taken away from us the earliest, and all it took was one irresponsible driver on the road.

“I’m sorry about what happened,” Yoojung offered sincerely.

"It's all right. My uncle took me in ever since then and has treated me like his own son. I really am thankful." Jaeho added.

“Well I am truly thankful that you chose to share this with me,” Yoojung said in reply.

“Well, we’re friends, right?” Jaeho said with a small smile.

“Eh, occasionally,” Yoojung teased, lightening the mood.

--------------------

“We’re here to get the mission done. We’re not here to make friends,” Taejin warned the moment Jaeho stepped foot into the house.

“I am well aware,” was all Jaeho said in response.

“You are not to forget why we are here at any time. You don’t have the luxury for otherwise.”

“The mission is the most and only important thing in my life right now,” Jaeho reassured, “Everything that I am doing is according to plan. I’ll get the mission done, so please just trust me to do it my way.

“And the girl is part of the plan, I assume?” Taejin prodded, curious to see Jaeho’s reaction.

Much to his happiness, Jaeho did not flinch before replying, “I just want to keep her close because she could be a potential weakspot. Nothing more, nothing less. It is in our interest though to gain her trust.”

Satisfied with Jaeho’s response, Taejin gave in, “Fine. We’ll do it your way. Just remember that there is no time for fooling around.”

--------------------

The house was busy as usual with the members occupied with different activities all over the house. D.O and Yixing were cooking a feast in the kitchen, hands flying as they professionally chopped vegetables while keeping their eyes on the ever so full stove. In the background, you could hear Baekhyun vocalizing along with Chanyeol's guitar playing and harmonization. Kris and his long legs covered the entire length of the couch as he lazily flipped through the channels, quietly complaining that nothing good was on TV. Amidst all the commotion, Kai sat in a recliner with his eyes closed, listening to music and unconciously moving his body to the beat.

In the study next door, there was Sehun and Tao doing the exact opposite of studying. Instead, they were bickering over a computer game while Suho attempted to mediate between the two with no progress. On the other side of the room sat Jongdae, Luhan, and Minseok doing what the room was made for, studying. Jongdae was completing his homework alongside Luhan and Xiumin who were doing Sehun and Chanyeol's.

"Guys, let's get ready to eat!" D.O called from the kitchen.

One by one, the boys stopped what they were doing and came to the dining room to help set the table. It was almost like an assembly line with one member putting out the plates, another the utensils, another the cups, and another the drinks. When the table was finally all set, with the food on the table, the members all sat down to eat.

With twelve boys sitting at the table, it was impossible to have one unified conversation. Bits and pieces of the table were having separate conversations.

On Suho's side of the table, he asked, "So how's school?"

"Stupid," Sehun replied.

"It isn't too bad," Jongdae offered.

"We made friends with a nice girl named Yoojung!" Chanyeol exclaimed enthusiastically.

At this, Kai snorted and disapprovingly muttered, "How much do you want to bet that your 'friend' is only going to bring trouble for us later?"

"That's not true," Chanyeol started to defend before Minseok interjected with, "So what happened to the guy who was watching us and suddenly became your classmate?"

At this, the whole table quieted down and became a part of one conversation.

"It's still hard to figure him out," Jongdae shrugged, "We need more time to find out about him."

"The most worrisome thing is that he's befriended Yoojung," Sehun added.

Scoffing, Kai said, "What did I tell you. That girl is going to bring nothing but trouble in the end."

Before Chanyeol could defend Yoojung again, Baekhyun lightheartedly asked with a smile, "So what are everyone's plans for the day? I plan on going karaoking with Jongdae and Chanyeol."

"Thanks for the invite," Sehun feigned a hurt expression.

"Do you want to come?" Baekhyun asked.

"A little too late, bro. I have my own plans too you know," Sehun stuck his tongue out.

Baekhyun rose his hands in defeat.

"Minseok, Yixing, Suho, and I were planning on going to the museum," Luhan added.

"Screw plans," Kris said, "I'm staying home and sleeping. I'm still jet lagged."

D.O and Kai nodded in agreement.

"What? I was planning on hanging with one of you," Tao pouted, "Fine, I'll go karaoking with Baekhyun and them."

"I don't remember agreeing to that..." Baehkyun joked before quickly adding, "Just kidding. As long as you don't hog the mic, you can come."

By the end of the meal, all the plates were completely empty, much to D.O and Yixing's satisfaction. Each member went off to go to their individual schedules for the day, while D.O, Kai, and Kris chose to remain home.

"Are there any snacks to eat in the house?" Kris asked while making himself comfortable on the couch again.

"No, we're all out," D.O replied while he too got comfortable on the couch.

Both Kris and D.O were staring at Kai expectantly when he finally looked up from his iPod. Taking an earphone out, he questioned, "What?"

"Oh nothing, nothing, just thought it would be nice to have some snacks while we stay in, that's all," Kris said rather passive aggressively, hoping Kai would get the hint.

"Fine, I'll get them, but no complaining about my choices," Kai sighed while putting his earphone back in, grabbing his wallet, and heading out the door.

Going to the convenience store wasn't a big deal really because it was just around the corner from their house and a little ways up. Reaching there in no time, Kai pulled the door open and entered the door to see Yoojung on her way out. Unfortunately for him, she noticed him before he did.

"Hi! You're Kai, right?"

Kai managed to nod and say a quiet, "Hey."

"Your entrance was pretty casual this time," Yoojung joked, explaining further after seeing Kai's confused face, "You made a pretty loud entrance last time at the school."

"Ah," Kai said, laughing uncomfortably.

Picking up the hint that Kai wasn't exactly in the mood to talk, Yoojung made her leave, "Well I have to get going, but catch you later!"

"Yeah, see you!" Kai said, relieved that the conversation had ended.

He grabbed his usual snacks and drinks (times twelve for the other members), paid up front, and left to go back home.

 


{A/N} Things are finally starting to kick off! I'm excited for character development. Let me know what you think about any of the characters so far below!  xoxo -- JS