Identity Crisis

Beautiful Disaster

There is a certain satisfaction to taking strolls not necessarily for the sake of getting somewhere, but to simply walk. This particular Saturday morning with clear skies and a light breeze happened to be the perfect weather for such a stroll. Yoojung, known for being quick on her feet, always tried to purposely take this time to unwind from her usual fast-paced life. Taking slow, deliberate steps, she began to walk in the park. Not far into her walk, she saw a familiar face coming towards her from the distance. It was the boy who had bumped into her the previous day. She was still embarrassed about her friends' reactions and figured she owed him an explanation. The boy didn't seem to recognize her, so she took a large step to her left, blocking his path. Before the confused boy could ask any questions, Yoojung quickly introduced herself.

"Hi, I'm Yoojung, the girl you bumped into yesterday!"

The boy's eyes finally showed recognition. "Ah, you're the girl from yesterday! I'm sorry again for bumping into you. It was entirely my fault."

Touched by his kindness, Yoojung replied sheepishly, "No, no. I should be the one apologizing. My friends are a bit immature, so they thought it would be a funny joke to come off as aggressive. I'm sorry they overreacted. You must have been surprised."

The boy laughed warmly, "Not at all! I understand. It's a guy thing to want to be tough and overprotective of their girlfriend. I'm Jaeho by the way."

"Oh no, Sehun isn't my boyfriend. They're all just a bunch of friends I met a couple days ago. I don't know why they acted like that," Yoojung apologized once again, "Nice to meet you Jaeho!"

"Ah, well if you say so. Nice meeting you too! Do you live around here? It seems you're at this park pretty often, seeing as I saw you just yesterday."

"Ah yes, I live only a couple blocks away. And you?"

"My dad and I just moved here a couple days ago, so I was checking out a few places around town. This is my favorite place by far."

"It's mine as well. I guess I'll be seeing you around here often then! If you're living with your dad, are you a student?"

"Yes, I'm supposed to be starting school on Monday at Haesun High."

"That's where I go to school! What year are you?"

"I'm a senior this year. What about you?"

"I'm a senior as well! I guess I'll be seeing you around very often then."

"I guess so. Tell you what, if you're really sorry for your friends, you can make it up to me by being my friend on my first day of school! I was worried that I wouldn't know anyone, but now I'll have you, right?" Jaeho offered with an inviting smile that reached his eyes.

"I'm not sure I'm sorry enough to take up that offer," Yoojung joked.

Jaeho looked away from Yoojung and began to pick up his pace.

"Kidding!" Yoojung laughed, yelling, "Wait up for me!" before running off to catch up with Jaeho.

--------------------

Yoojung listened attentively at the teacher's mention of yet another new student. She inwardly hoped that the new student would be Jaeho. Their personalities seemed to fit well during their walk on Saturday, and she could always use more friends in her classes.

Just as Yoojung hoped, Jaeho entered the classroom soon after, looking spiffy in his school uniform and without his usual snapback. Jaeho scanned the classroom as if he was looking for someone until his eyes landed on Yoojung. He gave her a small smile, and bowed to the class.

"I go by Jaeho, and I just moved here last week. I hope we can all get along and have a great year!"

Hyemi nudged Yoojung and asked, "Do you know him? Why did he look and smile this way?"

"Oh, yeah. We managed to bump into each other at the park on Friday, then again on Saturday."

"Damn girl, where are you picking up all these cute guys from?"

"Well maybe if you'd come with me on walks to the park more often, you'd have met them too!" Yoojung teased.

"I would have if I knew that's where all the cute guys were at!" Hyemi replied with a pout.

Meanwhile, the reactions of Chanyeol, Jongdae, and Sehun were quite the opposite. The moment Jaeho walked in, they noticeably stiffened in their seats. 

"What the hell is he doing here?" Sehun growled.

"I'm not sure, but I know I don't like it," Chanyeol muttered.

"Just try to keep cool because I suspect he's here to get on our nerves. We can't show that we're affected." Jongdae ordered.

"Or we could just kick his sorry out of our school and our town," Sehun suggested, gritting his teeth.

"Don't do anything stupid," Jongdae warned seriously, "Let's just carry on about our lives as if he's not even there."

"How do I do that when he is clearly trying to push our buttons. What else would be his reason for being here?" Sehun retorted, still angry.

"Maybe he's just here to have an education?" Chanyeol tried to say optimistically. He was a member who particularly did not enjoy conflict.

"Nice try, but no," Sehun said, unamused.

"Ah," the teacher suggested, "why don't you take that empty seat there right next to Sehun?"

"Just my luck," Sehun muttered as he slouched even further in his seat.

Jaeho slowly walked towards his new seat with an innocent smile.

Two can play at this game, Sehun thought as he sat up straighter in his seat and put on a smile that matched Jaeho's in innocence.

"Jaeho, did you say that's what your name was? I'm Sehun," Sehun introduced.

"Hey Sehun! Yup, my name is Jaeho."

"If I'm not mistaken, you're the one who I saw at the park on Friday, right?"

Jaeho laughed, "Yeah that was quite a first impression. It's all right though. Yoojung clarified and explained it to me already!"

"Ah, I see you've talked with Yoojung already?"

"Yes, we happened to bump into each other on Saturday."

"Nice, well welcome to Haesun High, although I'm quite new myself," Sehun said as he lightly slapped Jaeho's back.

"Thanks man," Jaeho said right before the bell rang from class to begin.

--------------------

"There's something about that kid that makes me feel uneasy," Sehun said bitterly, "He's too good at pretending. Am I just imagining the difference in his character from Friday and today?"

"No," Chanyeol added, "Jongdae and I clearly saw it too. I hate conflict more than anyone, but he makes me uneasy too."

"Who do you suppose sent him, and what do you think his intentions are?" Minseok inquired.

"I'm not sure, but something tells me it's the same people as the ones who sent us away from Korea 104 years ago..." Suho answered.

"What should we do for now?" Sehun asked.

"The best thing we can do in this situation is remain composed. I'm sure he'll be caught off guard if we pretend like we aren't affected," Yixing suggested.

"Yixing's right, that's the best we can do at this point. We'll have to start investigating this soon though," Kris agreed.

"Did you hear that Sehun?" Jongdae added, "You have to keep your cool in front of him, especially in front of the rest of the class."

"No worries. No worries," Sehun smirked, "I can be quite the actor when I try."

--------------------

"So why did you move here? Dad's job?" Yoojung asked, making conversation as she and Jaeho walked side by side.

"It's actually kind of a long story..." Jaeho admitted.

"It's a big park. We've got time," Yoojung smiled, and Jaeho offered a small smile in return.

 


{A/N} It sure has been a long while, hasn't it? I apologize for coming back to all of you so late, but I'm a senior in high school and have been so busy with college applications. I'm thankful that so many of you chose to stay for the story. I can't promise that I will have frequent updates, but I can promise that I have an intricate plot planned for you. I was actually going to have this chapter up earlier, but all of my work erased unexpectedly...I finally rewrote it, although my original work was better than this current chapter. Hope you all like it!  xoxo -- JS