EPILOGUE

Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Great job! You did pretty well.”

 

She smiled a close-lipped smile. The photography director patted her on the back before he oversaw the packing of his equipment. She stood there for a bit, taking in the surroundings. Everyone was busy cleaning up, fixing the props, and other equipment.

 

Nobody seemed to bother her as she stood there.

 

Alone.

 

A mere observer.

 

“Hey, would you like to join me for some snack?” Yoona had asked her, eyes hopeful that she would concede. She apologetically shook her head, making Yoona pout at her in return. Her smile grew as she amused herself at the older woman’s expression.

 

“Oh, come on.” Yoona tried convincing her once more. “Please?” She was firm in her decision, her eyes averted to the scars on her knuckles. They were marks of a year of sorrow and pain – reminders of a past that she had wished she could alter, should she be given a chance.

 

She felt footsteps coming closer to her, another individual vouching for her attention. “It’s today, right?” Juhyun’s soft voice broke her reverie. She looked up to meet concerned orbs staring at her. She heaved a sigh before she nodded in confirmation. “Would you like me and Yoona to accompany you there?” Juhyun offered, eyes hopeful that she would acquiesce. “I still have a copy of your new track. She might want to hear it.” She scoffed, but relented to the offer.

 

Clasping Yoona’s hand and taking Juhyun’s arm, she pulled the two taller girls and headed out the door without much ado, bowing to the crew and managers on the set as they passed them by. When they were out of the door, she muttered a discreet “Let’s go” before they headed to the parking lot, where Juhyun’s car awaited.

 

The ride to their destination was spent in solemn silence, the only sound coming from the radio, which had coincidentally played her recent song – a ballad reflecting her sorrowful year of having lost a loved one. She sighed, her eyes looking out to the gloomy horizon. A soft chuckle escaped her lips, catching Yoona’s attention from the front passenger seat. She turned to face the curious doe-eyes staring back at her.

 

“It’s funny how there’s always a storm whenever it’s her day.” She spoke. A sad smile appeared on Yoona’s face, “I guess it’s her way of reaching out to you…” She smiled back, eyes shifting to the nimbus clouds looming over the city. The silent tear she shed didn’t escape Yoona’s eyes.

 

“Soojung…” Yoona’s voice trailed off as they came to a stoplight. Juhyun caught a glimpse of the person seated at the back, sadness enveloped the whole car as Soojung wallowed in her own sorrow. It had been a year since her adopted sister had passed, a year since she had come to her senses and had strived to become a successful singer-songwriter within the span of a few months. Her scars were still there and she didn’t bother hiding them, telling the public that she was not perfect which allowed her to amass such a huge following for being true to herself.

 

But none of them knew the real cause of those scars and why she had them. They just knew the tip of the iceberg – that she was once a troubled person and that she was human. None of the people from outside her close-knit circle knew of her real story and she was glad that the press didn’t bother prying too much into her life. Jessica would sure be proud of where she stood now.

 

“Do you think, she’ll be there?” Krystal asked out of the blue, eyes tracing the water droplets painting the car window. Yoona stole a glance at Juhyun before turning to Krystal.

 

“She’ll be there.” Yoona answered. “It’s been a long time since you had last seen each other, huh?” Krystal sighed, “Yes.” Inhale. Exhale. She closed her eyes. “I owed her a lot.” Empathy washed over Yoona’s face. Krystal opened her eyes, seeing the weather turning for the worse as the rain thickened outside, thundering droplets bombarded their car as they cruised through the traffic.

 

Memories of last year clouded her mind.

 

+++

 

Krystal groaned as pain began to register from her wounds. Searing pain throbbed from her hands and she winced when her knuckles brushed against the pillow. She opened her eyes, brows furrowed upon noticing the bandages wrapped securely around her hands. A weight was around her waist and another warm body snuggled up to her.

 

She had been expecting either Juhyun or Yoona to be keeping her company. But when she raised her head to see who the other person was, her eyes widened when she saw someone she hadn’t expected to be there, much less sharing a bed with her. She blinked, finding herself in a daze when the other slumbering person’s facial features had uncanny similarities with those of the deceased.

 

‘Impossible!’ Krystal thought as she continued to stare at the sleeping Taeyeon. The older one was snoring too loud, mumbling something incoherent every now and then. Krystal was about to get up when the hold on her waist tightened and the other sleeping person muttered, “Sooyeon-ah… don’t go. Don’t leave me…”

 

Krystal froze, eyes widened as she turned to see Taeyeon, still dressed in what she had assumed her clothes the previous night. And this made Krystal wonder how on earth this drunkard found her. Slowly, Krystal peeled Taeyeon’s arm away before she unsteadily ambled out of the room, her body weakened.

 

She remembered the place very well. This was Juhyun and Hyoyeon’s home and this was where she had always landed whenever she’d pass out after staying for too long at the cemetery. She found Juhyun in the kitchen, preparing something for what she thought to be their breakfast. She was about to inquire of the additional guest when her legs gave way. It was a good thing a pair of hands caught her in time.

 

“Omo, are you all right?!” Hyoyeon’s voice was filled with concern as the older woman assisted her to the chair at the counter. Juhyun had turned after sensing their presence. Krystal remained mute as she opened and tried to voice her reply. “I-I…I’m so-sorry.” Her voice was hoarse and weak.

 

“You need to eat, Krystal.” Juhyun said as she placed a plateful of food before the young woman. “You’re nursing a cold and a high fever since we found you yesterday. You have to eat and take your medicine.” Krystal shook her head in defiance as tears began to spill from her eyes. “I don’t want to.” Her voice trailed off. “I’m not hungry.”

 

Hyoyeon sighed, “You haven’t eaten much for days! You need to eat something, Krystal. Your sister won’t like it-”

 

“I don’t have a sister anymore.” Krystal had cut her off, “I lost my sister, remember? I have nobody anymore. So, what’s the use of living?”

 

“You’re still alive.” A familiar voice broke Krystal’s trance, startling everyone in the room. They all turned to find the drunkard leaning against the threshold, her expression grim as she clutched her head. A soft chuckle rang from her before she staggered, almost falling face first if not for Hy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter