If tears drop like this, even the memories that I cherish don't know what to do.

Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jessica pulled her wife close to her, stealing a soft and quick kiss on Taeyeon’s lips before letting her go. They were at the airport and given that their kind of relationship was frowned upon by their society, they were cautious with their actions on each other. Even their marriage had been a secret – it had been kept from their family for years.

 

The only thing that both their parents knew was that the couple was sharing a flat near their workplace. It delighted their family knowing that the childhood friends would be together and would be supporting each other. Little did they know that the two young women had already tied the knot a few weeks before they officially moved in together.

 

Krystal had gotten into a huge fight with her sister when Jessica revealed her secret engagement with Taeyeon. The ring she showed Krystal had been disguised as a friendship ring, which their parents had believed to be so, but the youngest Jung knew otherwise.

 

Jessica, frustrated over her sister’s adamant refusal of tying the knot with Taeyeon, spent the night in her fiancée’s house. It was too late for her when she found out that Krystal had run away, leaving a note addressed to her family, saying that she’s sorry for the argument with her sister and that she’s venturing to find her path in life and that they shouldn’t miss her because she’ll come back when she had achieved something.

 

It broke the eldest Jung daughter that day and Taeyeon remembered how Jessica crumbled in her younger sister’s room, not caring how vulnerable and weak she had looked. It was at this moment that Taeyeon had resolved to herself to make Jessica happy – to heal the gaping wound in Jessica’s heart left by none other than Krystal.

 

Through the years, Taeyeon became Jessica’s pillar, helping her forget her sister’s parting, keeping her afloat, and securing her every night from the nightmares that plagued her. They barely got through all those obstacles and now, Taeyeon had finally made a move to end this cycle of pain and guilt.

 

Jessica was oblivious to Taeyeon’s true intentions when she had planned a business trip to Paris. Taeyeon had to attend a board meeting there and also meet Krystal, who was currently residing somewhere in the city. Taeyeon kept her plans of meeting Krystal from her wife, fearing how Jessica would react to her motive.

 

“Taengoo…” Jessica spoke, breaking Taeyeon’s trance. Their eyes met and the world around them seemed to disappear.

 

“Yes, Sooyeon?” Taeyeon asked, eyes focused on those longing brown orbs.

 

Jessica’s lips upturned, “I’m going to miss you.” She then proceeded to hug her wife, which Taeyeon welcomed with warmth. Their hug tightened, both refusing to let go until the announcement of Taeyeon’s flight departure.

 

Taeyeon planted her lips on Jessica’s cheek, whispering to her wife before releasing her, “I’ll call you when I’ve landed. I love you.”

 

“I love you, too.” Jessica said before giving her wife one last hug, “Have a safe trip, love.”

 

And then, they parted with Jessica watching Taeyeon mingle amongst the crowd through the departure area.

 

+++

 

Your cold hands; your trembling lips,

You bear it as if nothing has happened  

 

Jessica’s grip on the steering wheel tightened as she took in the song that resounded throughout her car. A haunting melody crept up her spine, making her body shiver as the music played.

 

Are you afraid of reminiscing somebody?

Forcing yourself to swallow the words you wish to speak

Your disregard is starting to melt away, just like the white snow

 

Jessica bit her lip as she continued to drive, her mind wandering to the person she had just sent off at the airport a few minutes ago before another face appeared in her thoughts. Her heart ached, grip tightening their hold on the wheel, her body tensed as the song continued inspiring a myriad of thoughts from her.

 

Like the stars which don’t leave the darkened sky,

Being together forever by the faith of love,

If I could be that person,

I’ll embrace your solid heart with eternal warmth  

 

The horizon was now darkening as her car merged with the highway traffic, her mind still off the road as she immersed herself in the ballad.

 

Even if your heart is in pain, after confronting with reality,

At the end of each tears, there’s a stream of light,

Which will light up the dark, and sink into time

 

Tears began to cloud her vision as the pounding ache in her heart intensified. Memories of Krystal. Memories of Taeyeon. They all meshed into confusing swirls inside her head. A honk of a vehicle brought her back to reality.

 

A flash of light made her squint. Everything blinded her and then, nothing replaced everything.

 

Numbness.

 

It was welcoming. And she welcomed it.

 

Darkness.

 

It was suffocating, yet it gave her consolation.

 

+++

 

The first thing that Taeyeon did when she landed in Paris was call her wife, only to be dismayed when she was directed to Jessica’s voicemail. She reckoned that her wife must’ve been asleep by this time. Pocketing her phone, she proceeded to her company’s hired car with plans of settling her stuff at the hotel before meeting Krystal.

 

It had been years since she last saw her wife’s younger sibling and Taeyeon was nervous about the meeting. A lot of things might result from this, she knew. Things could change forever if she pushes through with her plan.

 

As she settled in the car, Taeyeon proceeded to call Krystal.

 

“Hello?” A lilting voice answered, much to Taeyeon’s relief.

 

“Krystal? It’s Taeyeon. I just arrived in Paris.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter