Confrontation

Bad Apple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“There you are,” Sungmin exclaimed, finding Donghae at the hospital vending machines holding a cup of something. Coffee, perhaps. “We were looking all over for you!! Why did you leave so suddenly? You didn’t even want to talk to Hyukjae?”

“I—I was thirsty. So I came out for coffee. Is that an offense?” Donghae grunted, sipping on his second cup of the aromatic liquid, trying to ignore Sungmin’s intense glare that was about to bore several holes through his body.

“You’re coming with us this instant,” the elder said, grabbing the inspector’s arm and tugging him towards the direction of Hyukjae’s ward. “Talk to him. You can’t avoid him forever.”

Donghae wanted to pull back but the officer had a vine-grip on his arm and he was sure the blood circulation had been cut off already. He threw Kyuhyun a pleading look but the younger merely shrugged. (“I’d go along if I were you – you don’t want to get on his bad side,” he had whispered.)

Moments later, the inspector found himself in front of Hyukjae’s door. There wasn’t a peep from the room, and he got intimidated by the silence. He took several steps back only to bump into a growling Sungmin. “Now where do you think you’re going?”

“Uhm, m-my cup… I—I need to t-throw it away…”

Rubbing at the deep wrinkles that were starting to form on his forehead, Sungmin inhaled deeply before snatching the paper cup away and throwing it into the nearest bin. “Just go in, Donghae. You’ve already given me wrinkles and I don’t fancy gray hairs on my head as well.”

“W-what should I say?”

“Tell him you’re sorry? Apologize? Those kind of stuff?”

“Ap-pologize? Uhm, y-yeah I guess I probably should…”

“Go on, just walk in.”

“Uhm, b-but what if –”

Sungmin lost his patience with the young inspector and literally pushed him to the door. “Talk. To. Hyukjae,” he nearly growled. “And don’t you dare come out before resolving all your issues with him. Understand??”

“H-Hyung…”

“Don’t ‘hyung’ me, Donghae. You gotta solve your own problems on your own. Kyu and I are heading back now but don’t think I wouldn’t know if you just ran away. I’ve got spies all over the place. Now get, before I blow up!! We have to go already.”

“Y-yes, hyung…” the inspector replied, a little worried about the so-called spies in the hospital. “Where are you guys going anyway?”

“Back to the office. We’ve got a couple of reports to finish up before tomorrow. Or so somebody said,” Kyuhyun answered, throwing the inspector a pointed look. “We gotta go. Come on, Min. Race you to the car.”

“Childish,” the inspector replied with a roll of his eyes.

“Take care of Hyukjae for us, Donghae. See you in a bit.” With that, Sungmin turned and left, leaving Donghae behind with furrowed brows.

“Pfft. What do you mean, ‘take care of Hyukjae for us’?” Donghae muttered, shoving a hand into the pocket of his jeans. Inhaling deeply, he the doorknob and entered quietly, thinking that Hyukjae was probably sleeping. He was right; Hyukjae had fallen asleep some time after the two officers left him to fetch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter