In Denial

Bad Apple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was already day three, and Hyukjae hadn’t shown any improvement at all. Hyukjae was still relying heavily on the machines to breathe, and the doctors had shrugged when Donghae kept asking why the injured officer wasn’t regaining consciousness yet. The only consolation was that Hyukjae’s injuries didn’t complicate; thankfully the knife blade wasn’t rusted or heavily contaminated when it pierced through him.

Donghae wouldn’t leave the hospital even when visiting hours were over and the nurses advised him to go home and rest. In the end he slept in the ex-officer’s room, wanting to be there right next to him when he woke up. Actually he was very much afraid, and insecure; afraid of what Hyukjae’s reactions would be, and insecure of his feelings for his ex. There were so many questions on his mind that he wanted to ask the elder but he was fearful of being rejected and ignored. But he guessed he deserved it – after he hadn’t even bothered to treat him well ever since Hyukjae started working under him. It would be a normal reaction for Hyukjae to push him away, right?

He secretly hoped that wasn’t the case though. Donghae looked at the little night stand next to the unconscious man’s bed, where he’d placed Hyukjae’s ring. Somehow that object let him feel a tiny bit hopeful that Hyukjae might – just might – forgive him, and let them start over.

However, his patience was wearing thin. After so many days not knowing a single answer to his questions, his true self had already somewhat retreated back into his previous shell without him realizing it. He was too afraid of the elder’s reaction and he didn’t want to get hurt by the same person again. He just didn’t know if he could handle another heartbreak. He stared at the too familiar face in front of him and slowly his anger began to rise. How could Hyukjae appear again in his life only to mess up his feelings and then leave him again? And why did he go and nearly get himself killed so now he couldn’t even demand answers from him? Donghae clenched his fists and forcefully wiped away the dampness in his eyes.

“… Bastard.”

 

During the few times Sungmin and Kyuhyun came over to visit, they only found a stone-faced Donghae sitting next to a pale and motionless Hyukjae. The inspector’s face lacked emotion again, and the two officers just didn’t know what to make of it. Was he mad? Or worried? His expression was unreadable and neither one of the two could figure him out.

“Hey,” Sungmin started, gently landing a hand on Donghae’s shoulder. Seeing that the younger didn’t even acknowledge his presence, the elder officer gave out a sigh. “How’s Hyukjae?”

“Still out,” Donghae replied curtly in a monotonous voice. “Stupid idiot.”

“I thought the doctors said he should be waking up anytime soon.”

“Do you even see him stirring? No. So, they were lying. End of story.”

“Donghae,” the elder sighed, patting his shoulder. “I know you’re worried sick, but I’m pretty sure Hyukjae’s gonna wake up soon. Trust me.”

“I’m not worried. Who’s worried? I’m not worried at all. Who’d feel worried for him? He’s just a stupid idiot that got in the way of everything. I don’t need him in my life. I was doing perfectly fine until he came along,” Donghae said, gritting his teeth and clenching his fists as he spoke. Sungmin frowned.

“Yeah, I can totally see you’re not worried at all. Why else would you insist on staying with him the entire time, huh? Even when the nurses told you to go home, you refused to leave. You even slept in here for two nights when we told you to go home. Sure, you’re totally not worried at all,” Sungmin challenged. Donghae spun around and saw the elder boring his eyes into him. “Hmm?”

“I—I just… I just wanted to make sure that bastard wouldn’t come back to harm him again!! H-He might still be in danger—”

“Siwon is in jail. He’s getting life on multiple murders and kidnapping charges. Hyukjae is safe,” the elder deadpanned, still looking intensely at Donghae. “Stop trying to fool yourself. I know you still like him.”

“… I don’t,” Donghae said, reverting back to his pokerface, causing Sungmin to roll his eyes.

“Yeah, yeah. I get it. Now stop playing with his ring and come out for a while. There’s something I need to discuss with you about a different case.”

 

* * *

 

Single eyelids stirred before blinking open, flinching painfully at the too-bright fluorescent lights hanging overhead. He blinked several times before his vision slowly came back to him. He wanted to tilt his head to observe his surroundings but the sudden pain in his chest had him whimpering loudly instead. Soon, he realized the umpteen needles and tubes stuck into his frail body and also the obtrusive oxygen mask he had on his face while the machines next to the bed beeped consistently every two seconds.

At least this means I’m still alive.

The door threw open, revealing the three officers walking into the room. Sungmin instantly reached his side and began talking softly to him. Kyuhyun ran for the doctor before anyone could tell him that there was a button to do just exactly that.

“Hey,” Sungmin started, sitting on the chair besides the bed. “You’re finally awake, Hyukjae.”

“W-water…” he croaked.

The elder officer immediately got a glass of water and a straw f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter