endless moment

My Unknown Savior

Min Ju`s POV

It was one of those days again. So Ra, my best friend since I was in school, thought about something we could do together. After some awful suggestions I could avoid, she decided to go ice skating. I was ok with it. I mean, I hate ice skating since I am not able to skate on my own without holding So Ra`s arm tightly for every single second. But it was still much better than all the other things she suggested before. Aside from that, I have never been able to say “no” to her. I just liked her too much to do that. So we went out to go ice skating…

It was very cold, and I would have preferred to go to the cinema or something like that. But if you agree with So Ra, there is no going back.

We put on our ice skates and entered the ice rink. It was very crowded, but So Ra seemed to be happy, so I was ok with it. Looking around, I saw families, trying to teach their children to skate, young couples, holding hands and slowly sliding along the ice rink. I saw happy little children, trying to catch each other, and showing their parents some tricks. And I saw So Ra. So Ra, who was impatiently waving at me, while she was already starting to skate. Why is she doing this? She knows, that I can`t skate on my own. Well, I wanted to at least give it a try, so I moved my feet in slow-motion to make sure I wasn`t falling down. Leastwise for the first few minutes I wanted to give the other people the impression, that I am not a complete fool, when it comes to ice skating. And it worked! I skated all the way to So Ra ON MY OWN. It felt like it took me a minimum of ten minutes to cover the distance of max. 4m. But hey, I did it!

For the next hour or something like that, I was of course holding So Ra`s arm. But it was ok. We were singing the songs that were playing and laughed a lot. That was a pretty good result! I didn`t really expect to have any fun, but today something was different. I stopped thinking about that, when So Ra told me, she would get herself something to eat. She left the ice rink and disappeared in the crowd of hungry people, who were waiting in front of a tiny stall.

I realized, that it would take some time until So Ra would return. So I decided I should try skating a bit on my own. Maybe I just needed some training. I stopped to abut against the boards and started moving a bit. I felt pretty stable and skated a bit faster. I was very happy. Why did I always hate ice skating so much? It was so much fun! I moved faster and faster. But in all my excitement I didn`t realize where I was going. I had to turn left or else I would crash right into the boards. I wasn`t really skating that fast, but as you know… I am a complete fool when it comes to ice skating.

Panic-fuelled I tried to stop and immediately lost my balance. I was about to fall and a short sound of fear came out of my mouth, when I felt something. It was good…. It was not the cold and hard ice that I expected to feel. It was a person! Someone must have caught me. Slowly I opened my eyes and saw this person. But I didn`t just see a person. I also saw these eyes. These dark-brown, nearly black eyes that were looking into mine. I saw his hair that had nearly the same color. I saw his narrow lips. And I felt his strong arms that saved me from falling down and were still holding me safely but in a very gentle way. I didn`t know, what was happening to me. I was overwhelmed and the moment seemed to last forever. I didn`t hear the music anymore. There were no children around anymore. And there was no So Ra either. There were only me and my unknown savior.

“Hey, be careful.” I heard him saying.

He made sure I got my balance back. Then he let go of me and carried on skating. I wanted to thank him for saving, but he was too fast. (He was able to skate…)

I stood there for a while. What exactly happened in this never ending moment? I looked in the direction he left, but I couldn`t see him. It was too crowded.

I don`t know how long I stood there, thinking about, what just happened. But after some time So Ra came back. She already finished eating whatever she bought. I looked at her with a sigh.

“What`s wrong with you? Did you see a ghost? Let`s go! I want to skate a bit.”

I just nodded and followed her. We kept on skating for about another hour. I looked for this person the whole time, because I couldn`t get him out of my head. I wanted to know more about him. So Ra didn`t really realize that I did not say one word. I guess she just thought I was bored…

When we left, I was a bit disappointed, because I couldn`t find the person who saved me. But I had no choice. I didn`t even know his name.