Chapter 7

A Story to Tell

Saturday morning, Kai got up with dread in his stomach. He really didn’t want to spend his weekend at the library.

He sneezed as he changed his clothes after using the bathroom. His cold was better, he would cough and sneeze occasionally but his fever and headache were gone.

Skipping breakfast, he grabbed a jacket and his keys and left the house. The library was close to his house so he could easily walk there.

When he got to the library a couple of minutes later, he went to the front desk and asked the woman there for the person in charge of the volunteers.

“One moment, I’ll go get her,” she got up from her seat and disappeared into a hallway near the front of the library for the different offices of the facility. Kai leaned against the desk and looked around. It was quiet, the way most libraries were. The library was quite large, there were different sections for different genres and ages. The kids section was big and colourful. The wall was painted and there were colourful tables, chairs, and beanbags.The bookshelves were filled with cute picture books and there was a carpet area where a story would be read to the kids at certain times.

“Kim Jongin?” a voice said from behind him. Kai turned around and bowed at the elderly lady who was now in front of him.

She gave him a warm smile, “It's great to have you here. I'm Mrs. Jung, how are you Jongin?”

“Kai is fine, and I'm good,” he answered. “Yourself?”

“Wonderful, thank you,” she smiled again. “I'll have one of the workers here introduce you to your duties. Hana, over here!”

A woman, probably about to enter her thirties, walked over. She had short black hair, rather small eyes and thin lips. Her smile looked a little too bright and Kai immediately knew that it wasn’t her true smile.

“Hana this is Kai and Kai this is Hana, or Ms. Shin?” Mrs. Jung looked at her.

“Oh Hana noona is fine,” she smiled at Kai. Kai looked away and tried not to shudder too obviously. I am not calling anyone noona. Never have, never will.

“Come on, Kai, I'll get you started,” Hana smiled, holding her hand out.

Mrs. Jung nodded, “I'll leave you two to it then. Hana make sure he knows where everything is and about the children story time and all that.”

Hana nodded and Mrs. Jung disappeared into the hallway with all the offices.

Hana’s hand was still out, “Come on. Let's go to the volunteer’s office first.”

I'm not a baby. Kai tried not to roll his eyes. He strolled past her hand and to the hallway where Mrs. Jung went.

Hana wasn't fazed and followed him. For the rest of the day, she explained how the library system worked and where the books belonged. Kai would be responsible for sorting books, labelling new ones, returning them to their original places after they were returned, and possibly reading a story to kids. He wasn't looking too forward to the last one but it was a maybe.

“I need your phone number,” Hana said at the end of the day before sunset. They were standing near the front doors and Kai was exhausted.

“Why?”

“What if I need to contact you?” she asked.

“Why would you need to contact me?”

“For library stuff. Duh,” she laughed.

“Mrs. Jung has my number, if she felt you needed it she would have given it to you,” Kai said in a slightly rude tone.

Hana raised an eyebrow and opened to say something, but Kai bowed. “Thanks for the intro. See you, Ms. Shin,” he said before turning around and opening the door.

“You can call me noona!” she called.

“No thanks,” Kai muttered to himself as he walked away.

When he got home, he immediately lay down on the couch. Hana hadn't even let him have lunch, she thought he wouldn't come back so Kai had been living off the day with snacks from the vending machine.

“Isn't that child labour....” Kai muttered to himself. Sitting up, he dialled the pizza place’s number and ordered himself a pizza.

He wasn't too fond of Hana and hoped he wouldn't have to work with her. He groaned as he thought of this horrendous mess he’d gotten himself into, throwing his phone on the sofa.

All because of a stupid cigarette.

○○○○○

“Here you go,” Lay handed Sehun a folder Saturday morning. “Just some stuff I wanted to do today, we’ll go over it right now.”

Sehun nodded and quickly skimmed the folder. It looked pretty easy, it seemed like he was just backup help for Lay.

“Stretching comes first, then we do some new stuff I want to show them, and then they practice for the library charity performance and we can go around and help them.”

Sehun nodded again.

Lay tapped his cheek twice, “Smile a little, kid.”

Sehun gave him a small smile. He now had two jobs, he would have to work less at the CD store; he would only work there on Mondays now .

But there was no way he was quitting.

○○○○○

That night, there was a ferociously noisy thunderstorm. Kai tossed and turned in his bed, he hated thunderstorms; he hated rain in general.

Ah, there’s no way I’m sleeping tonight. Kai ruffled his hair in frustration and tried to find a comfortable position.

But the loud claps of thunder and bright flashes of lightning outside his window kept him awake.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, trying to shut the weather outside out and think of a happier time.

Woobin looked at his three siblings at the foot of his bed.

“Wow, you guys are such scaredy cats,” he shook his head.

“Aw, don’t be mean, hyung,” Kai said, taking his place on one side of Woobin.

“Yeah, scooch over,” Sehun said, going to his other side.

“Yah, you two are so big!” Woobin complained. “I’m squished and where does Mina go?!”

Sehun picked Mina up and put her on top of Woobin.

“Your chest is comfy, right?” Sehun lay down again and closed his eyes.

“Sleep well,” Kai patted Woobin’s legs and closed his eyes as well.

“These hooligans, honestly,” Woobin muttered. He put Mina near his side and closed his eyes as well.

He opened them again when he felt Mina’s large eyes on him.

“What’s wrong?”

“I can’t sleep,” she whispered.

“Why?”

“Jongin oppa’s arm is under me,” she told him.

Woobin sat up and threw Kai’s arm on his chest. He looked between Kai and Sehun and was amazed at how fast they had fallen asleep.

“If he bothers you at night just throw him off the bed,” Woobin told Mina as he lay down again.

Mina giggled, “Okay, oppa.”

“Hey!” Kai sat up and looked at both of them. “You guys are ganging up on me!”

“Yeah, we are. What are you going to do about it? It’s not like you’d notice, you could sleep through a hurricane,” Woobin stated.

“My accomplice will help me,” Kai nodded his head in Sehun’s direction.

Sehun lightly snored and turned to his other side.

“Your accomplice could sleep through three hurricanes,” Woobin snickered and high-fived Mina.

“Just go to sleep,” Kai muttered and lay down.

The only way any of them would get sleep that night would be if they were together.

And that was all they needed.

Kai turned over again and tried to fall asleep.

He couldn’t, he’d never be able to fall asleep in a thunderstorm by himself.

○○○○○

Kai wasn’t the only one who couldn’t sleep, there were two other people who strongly disliked thunderstorms as well.

Minhee’s facial expression turned into a troubled one as she tossed and turned in her sleep.

“Mom, mom, mom, mom,”

“Mommy!” Minhee jolted up from her bed and trembled as she clutched her blanket.

Luhan, who was in his study working, furrowed his eyebrows as he heard a faint yell from Minhee’s room. He turned the light off and jogged over to her room.

“Minhee?” he said softly as he entered her room. He found her shaking in her bed, looking traumatized.

He slowly walked to her bed and sat down. He peered at her and then out the window. Then he understood.

“Minhee, it was just a nightmare,” he comfortingly put an arm around her. “There is nothing going on out there.”

Minhee looked up at him, worry still in her eyes.

“Lie down and sleep,” he said, gently pushing her body down. Minhee stared at him, unable to speak and he moved her over. He got under the blanket and lay down beside her.

“I’ll stay here, so you sleep,” he turned over and looked at her.

“Don’t you have work to do?” Minhee asked in a small voice

“Its fine, just sleep.”

Minhee didn’t close her eyes.

“I’ll watch you, okay? So close your eyes and sleep,” Luhan patted her hair down. “I’ll stay here.”

Minhee’s eyes slowly began to droop. It was only the fact that she knew that her brother was with her, that she could sleep peacefully.

○○○○○

Sehun blew a raspberry and blamed his pillow for being too lumpy.

Thunder cackled and lightning flashed, Sehun got out of bed and closed the windows and curtains.

Ahh, seriously. I hate thunderstorms.

He ruffled his hair in frustration and went back to bed. He covered his ears and closed his eyes, trying to force himself to sleep.

It didn’t work.

Sehun sighed and stood up, about to turn the light on.

Guess I’m pulling an all-nighter.

There was a clap of thunder and Sehun jumped. He quickly turned the light on and went back to bed.

Am I going to be like this during every thunderstorm for the rest of my life? I’m going to hide on my bed and wait for it to be over?

But that was all he could do when he was alone.

○○○○○

After a horrible night, Kai miserably headed to the library for his first day of volunteering. He was hoping he wouldn’t have to meet Ms. Kim

“Oh, Kai!” Mrs. Jung greeted him at the desk.

Kai bowed and coughed into his arm.

“Hana should be here soon, she’ll tell you what to do. There’s another volunteer who comes on Sundays as well. You can meet her, I think the two of you are around the same age so you should get along. You both will be working together a lot,” Mrs. Jung told him.

Kai nodded, pretending to be enthusiastic. Great, a partner.

“Wait here for her, I have to check my e-mail,” Mrs. Jung said before disappearing into her office once again. Kai was beginning to think she lived in there as he leaned on the front desk, fiddling with his fingers.

“Oh, Jongin!” Hana waved and walked over to him as Kai looked up.

“It’s Kai,” Kai said pointedly, slowly edging away from her as she got closer.

“But Jongin is your real name.”

“But I want you to call me Kai. Please refrain from calling me something I’m not going to respond to.”

“You don’t respond to Jongin?” she asked.

“To some people,” Kai answered promptly.

“Right,” Hana nodded. She spotted someone from afar, “Oh! Minhee, come here!”

Kai furrowed his eyebrows as he slowly recognized the girl walking towards them.

“Kai, this is Minhee, you’ll be working with her while you volunteer here.”


Hiyaaaaa

It's been a while....

Now putting aside all those tests, assignments and other things that kept me busy on the weekends, I couldn't think of a title for this fic and I didn't want to update without coming up with a new title. Cuz seriously 'The Search'? LAME.
I even did a poll, but I didn't use any of those titles XD I just wasn't feeling them okay?
How's this one? I even changed the description.
I hate titles -.-

On another note, :O :O Kris leaving exo? DAYUMMMM
Now I like Kris and all but he was a tad bit unwise to declare himself out of exo during promotions and before the conncert, like now everyone is suffering. Ew I'm not saying I'm on SM's side, never, buuuuut I feel like there could have been another way to deal with this.

But hey I like Overdose (Y) my favourite part is when D.O goes 'So bad no one can stop her' you go, bud!

Oh and Infinite's album is good too, me like :D

I finished God's Gift- 14 Days...... I didn't like the ending :( Dongchan was the best part so he can't die. I don't even know if he died actually! I hate open endings too! It seemed rushed though... they wrapped it up in the last five minutes.....
So the next time I watch it, I'ma skip the last episode and make up my ending: Dongchan lives and so does the girl and he and the mom get married and they live happily with the mom's mom. Oh and the husband lawyer lives by himself in a large house, wandering the halls like the lonely loser he is.

Kay byee~~ ^^