Chapter 17

A Story to Tell

A peaceful sleep was what that night comprised of for both Kai and Sehun.

Sehun felt that he was finally at home, in his bed, with his family and there was a bit of a smile on his face as he slept.

Kai too, discovered the delights of sleep in a house that was no longer empty as he slept a dreamless sleep.

The next morning was a school morning but neither of them had made any plans of going to school. Kai awoke at 10:30 after sleeping like a baby and was shocked to look across the room to an empty bed.

His heart was racing. Was it a dream? Was it all in my head?

He jumped out of bed and into the hall where the bathroom door was open, and no brother was in it. He raced downstairs. Please no, please don’t let it be a dream.

He stumbled into the living room, bumping into the coffee table in the process and possibly fracturing his knee. But he hardly noticed that as he watched Sehun turn his head from where he was standing near the window out looking the backyard.

Sehun stared at him, “Are you okay? What’s up?”

“N-nothing,” Kai said as he held his knee and limped to the sofa. He had forgotten that between the two, Sehun had always woken up earlier while Kai slept like a bear for 12 hours.

“You should’ve woken me up.”

Sehun shrugged, “What for? I’ve only been up for an hour or so. Besides, I’m not fool enough to bother a sleeping bear.”

“I do not sleep like a bear!” Kai said defensively as he stood up. “I’m going to wash up.”

“You do that,” Sehun said. Sehun had already washed up, Kai had given him a spare toothbrush the night before.

Kai went back upstairs, complaining in his head about the new bruise forming on his knee but then smiled warmly when he saw two toothbrushes in the bathroom instead of one.

When Kai came back downstairs, Sehun followed him into the kitchen.

“Did you eat? You don’t expect me to serve you, do you?” Kai said as he looked through the cupboards. “You are no guest in this house.”

“Nah, the toothpaste taste was still in my mouth,” Sehun said, joining Kai in looking for something to eat. Kai then also remembered how Sehun never ate after brushing his teeth, saying that the aftertaste of toothpaste ruined the taste of food.

“Don’t go grocery shopping often, do you?” Sehun said, judging by the lack of interesting foods in the cupboards.

Kai scratched his head, “Let’s go to a cafe or something and shop on the way back.”

Sehun shrugged, “Okay.”

He paused, “Wait, don’t we have school today?”

“Oh yeah.... it’s Monday,” Kai also realized. “Better call in sick.”

Sehun grinned, “Me too.”

Sitting in the living room, the two of them called their schools and soon the room was filled with fake coughs dripping with sickness, loud sneezes that made one flinch, and sore throats that that sounded like sick whales.

“Yes, thank you,” Sehun coughed as he hung up on the attendance woman. He looked over at Kai and they both displayed identical, playful grins that admired their pro acting skills.

“Lets go,” Kai stood up and without bothering to change out of their sweats and running a comb through their hair, the two of them were out the door.

“I hope it starts snowing soon,” Sehun expressed as they walked out the driveway.

“Why?”

“School cancellation, what else?”

“Ah true true,” Kai nodded in agreement as he led the way to the cafe.

“Speaking of school, since you’re moving in, you should switch to my school too,” Kai said happily.

When Sehun didn’t say anything, Kai looked at him.

“What’s wrong?”

“I just… are you sure….” Sehun was unsure how to voice what he wanted to say.

Luckily, Kai already knew.

“Look, you’ve been looking for me and I’ve been looking for you for the past four years and now we’ve finally met, so it makes sense you move into your real home. What’s weird about that? What would our parents say if you lived halfway across the city in a dingy, old apartment?”

Sehun was quiet as they continued to walk and then he finally said, “Are you sure?”

“Um, yeah, pretty very 100% sure,” Kai snorted. “The hell you feeling like an intruder for? You’re more of a brother than Ding-Dong-Ditch Woobin any day.”

There was a bitter silence that followed the random anger outburst by Kai.

Sehun stared at him, “Kai….”

Kai was breathing heavily and he immediately regretted what he had said.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that, but will you quit acting like you’re the next door neighbor and not my brother? It’s making me itchy,” Kai said grumpily.

“Alright alright,” Sehun made up his mind after judging the situation in a quick five seconds. “I’m moving in, you happy?”

Kai smiled, “Yep.”



The two were sitting at a table in the corner of the café after ordering. They were discussing school and the miserable time they were having in it when Sehun received a call from Sunye.

“Hello?”

“Sehun? Where are you? Why aren’t you at school?” she asked.

“Oh, Sunye,” Sehun said and Kai looked at him in interest at the name. “I’m, uh-“

“Don’t say at home because I stopped by your apartment this morning.”

Kai, who could hear Sunye from across the table raised his eyebrows and grinned goofily at Sehun.

“I’m, uh, with erm,” Sehun looked at Kai for help and Kai mouthed, ‘a friend.’

“A friend,” Sehun said.

“A friend?” Sunye repeated and Kai leaned in closer to hear better. “What kind of important friend is this who I haven’t heard of but you’d miss school for?”

“A childhood friend,” Sehun replied. “I’ll call you later, okay?”

“Kay, bye.”

Sehun hung up and would have done anything to wipe the smirk off of Kai’s face.

“So,” Kai said. “Sunye, huh? Sehun and Sunye? Double S? S squared?”

“Oh shut up, you’re so annoying,” Sehun made a face.

“Excuse me for wanting to get to know my future sister-in-law,” Kai held his hands up in defense.

“She’s not going to be your future sister-in-law so calm down,” Sehun said. “She’s a friend, I guess.”

“You guess? That’s so like you Sehun, guessing if someone’s your friend or not.”

Sehun shrugged, “I don’t talk to her that much, she’s the one who contacts me mostly.”

“Order number 17!” the woman at the front counter called. Sehun and Kai both stood up and went to collect their food, which consisted of an iced cappuccino and muffin for Sehun and a hot chocolate and bagel for Kai.

“You’re going to catch a cold drinking something cool like that in the morning,” Kai said.

“Will not,” Sehun argued, taking a large sip.

“We’ll see about that,” Kai said, biting his bagel. “So what’s in your apartment?”

“Nothing valuable,” Sehun replied, still feeling that this was all happening very fast, but he was happy.

“I’ll get the papers you need to fill out for my school tomorrow and you can switch out then?” Kai asked, wiping his lips.

Sehun nodded, “Sure.”

“We’ll both go to your place this weekend then and get what you need,” Kai said, quite enjoying the plan they were coming up with and excited at every bit of it.

They were quiet then and then Sehun voiced the thoughts they were both having, “This is weird, isn’t it? Like yesterday at this time we were both lonely losers with no ambition.”

Kai softly smiled, “I know, right? Who knew 24 hours later we’d be sitting across from each other eating breakfast?”

The world was funny that way, amazing things happened unexpectedly and that was probably what made it even more amazing.


After finishing up at the café, they went to the nearest grocery store to fill up Kai’s disappointingly empty kitchen cupboards.

“Noodles, noodles noodles,” Sehun said as they walked down the aisle and dumped all sorts of noodles into their cart that Kai was steering.

“The heck, Sehun? You planning on turning into a noodle?”

“What’s it to you?!” Sehun said defensively.

“I don’t want to share a room with a lumpy, fat, noodle,” Kai said flatly. They stared at each other, having the same déjà vu moment and then started laughing.

They continued shopping; most of it was snacks because neither of them knew how to cook anything past the basics of basics. At the end of their exploit of the grocery store, which turned out to be quite amusing, they were standing second in line at the cash register.

Sehun looked at the sign that said ‘Cash only’, then at their rather large amount of groceries, and then at Kai, “Just cough up whatever you have in your wallet. Both of us should cover it, I think.”

When it was their turn, both of them just dumped whatever bills were in their wallet and split the small amount of change the man behind the counter, who looked quite astounded, gave them.

“This is heavy,” Sehun complained as they walked home carrying the groceries.

“Think of it as good exercise,” Kai said. “We’re almost there, man up Sehun.”

Sehun scoffed, “I’m a lot more manlier than you, I’m taller.”

“In height maybe, but your mentality is still very lacking,” Kai said and Sehun hit his leg with one of the bags in his hands as they went up the driveway.

Kai opened the door of the house and they went in and began putting the groceries away.

“What did you get this for?” Sehun asked, examining a package of coffee beans in front of a cabinet.

Kai looked over from the fridge and furrowed his eyebrows, “I didn’t get that, I don’t drink coffee.”

“Neither do I,” Sehun said.

“And even if I did, I’d never know how to make the coffee from beans,” Kai shrugged.

“Wow, what do we do with this then?” Sehun asked as he threw it in the cupboard.

“Just leave it, I’ll donate it to a food drive at school or something.”

“Mhmm.”

It was nearing noon when they finished with the groceries, they had mainly just stuffed whatever fit anywhere without much thought.

“Hey wait, why were you with the library people?” Sehun asked as they situated themselves in the family room again. Kai was sitting on the couch while Sehun on the chair.

“I volunteer at the library.”

Sehun burst out laughing and Kai sulked. “YOU volunteer at a LIBRARY?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?” Sehun asked, still chuckling. “You hate books.”

“Yeah, I know,” Kai sighed. “I have to, I got into some trouble so this is my punishment. Plus I have no community service hours.”

“Trouble?” Sehun looked interested. “Wow, what did you do?”

“Nothing fun,” Kai said dully. “Er.. I kind of.. sort of…”

Sehun blinked, “What?”

“ItwasreallystupidbutIsmokedacigaretteonschoolproperty,” Kai said quickly. “Weather’s nice, eh?”

Sehun raised an eyebrow, “I have no idea what you just said.”

“Weather’s nice, eh?” Kai repeated.

Sehun punched his arm, “Before that, you dolt.”

Kai heaved a sigh, “It was an off day, okay? I bought a pack of cigarettes and was smoking one on school property and was caught.”

Sehun blinked again before hitting Kai’s head, hard.

“What was that for?!”

“For doing something so stupid.”

“Well, thanks, Kai snapped.

“Why, Kai, why would you do that?” Sehun asked, not looking impressed.

Kai, feeling not very impressive, said, “I don’t know. I was tired of the same old same old, being depressed all day.”

Sehun didn’t say anything but his mind was churning with thoughts. Between the two, Kai had probably had it worse. He had witnessed Mina’s death and harbored culpable feelings for it and then Woobin disappeared without a trace. Kai had had to take it all at once, by himself and he probably had some weird thoughts. He had been by himself with questions and guilt and he didn’t have anyone to talk to, Kai had probably wanted a way out of his feelings so smoking was the only answer.

“Understandable, I guess,” he finally said. “Have you done it since then?”

“Oh, no,” Kai shook his head. “It was nasty, bro.”

Sehun laughed, “Figures.”

Kai was now biting and unbiting his tongue, debating whether he should tell Sehun about his little suicide attempt.

As if Sehun had read his mind, he asked, “Did you do any other stupid things?”

Kai threw him a curt look, “You can read minds, can’t you?”

“Just yours,” Sehun shrugged. “Well?”

Kai let out another sigh, “It’s Embarrass Kai Day, isn’t it? Okay fine, yes I did do another stupid thing. I almost killed myself.”

It took Sehun a bit of time to let that sink in but when it did his eyes widened, “What? Kai….”

Kai avoided his eyes, “It was dumb but I was so fed up. When I was awake, I’d see things that reminded me of the past. When I was asleep, I had my nightmares to haunt me and the cigarettes hadn’t worked out so that was like the only escape.”

Sehun rubbed his temples, “Wow.”

“Oh shut up, I bet you did stupid things too. Go on, tell me all about it. What happened after you paid that gangster?” Kai questioned.

“I, unlike you, lived normally,” Sehun said triumphantly but then surrendered under Kai’s disbelieving gaze. “Okay, I had the same thoughts as you but I took no action except working at the community center.”

They were quiet again, both absorbed in being appalled by their actions and thoughts.

“We were both pretty messed up,” Sehun added after an afterthought.

“I guess.”

“So I’ll go home today and then get the school the transfer stuff tomorrow?” Sehun asked, veering away from the topic that was making them uncomfortable.

“Yeah and you can move in this weekend,” Kai said, feeling more cheerful and uplifted. “Start school next Monday.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah,” Kai agreed.

‘Wow’ just about summed up how the two were feeling.


Helloooo :)

Once again, I don’t know guys, I just don’t.

But I hope you guys do! And if you do, comment and give me some sort of relief D;

I miss BAP.

I want them to have a comeback and their own variety show with hour long episodes, COME BACK BAPPPPPPPPP!

School is so depressing and stressful, like I just want to get to university. I hope I get there next year D;

Byeee!