Chapter 4

A Story to Tell

Sehun sat in his seat in the middle of math class, extremely bored that Tuesday morning.

The teacher wasn’t here today and that meant that they had a supply teacher. The supply teacher was too scared to do anything other than write the instructions on the board, so the class was even more out of control than usual. One thing Sehun hated about having a supply teacher was that their normal teacher would leave them work that they could finish in 10 minutes. Then they would have nothing to do for the rest of class.

Sehun finished his work in the predicted 10 minutes and was leaning back in his chair with nothing better to do.

“Hi Sehun,” Sunye, a class fellow of his, smiled and sat down next to him. The closest thing he had to a friend was Sunye. She wasn’t annoying and bothersome like the other girls; she was normal. “Finished?”

“Long time ago, Sehun said tiredly.

“Want to play a game?” she asked.

Sehun sighed. “Sure,” he agreed. “What game?”

“You can tell me how amazing I am,” Sunye smiled angelically.

Sehun pushed her head back, “That wouldn’t even happen in your sweetest dreams.”

She made a face and then sighed, “I know,” she took her phone out, opened an app, and put the phone on the desk.

Sehun raised an eyebrow, “Temple Run?”

She grinned and nodded, “Whoever gets the best score gets a wish from the other person.”

“Fine.”

“Me first,” Sunye took her phone and began playing. She ended up with a score of 151 900.

Sehun took her phone and began his game and Sunye scooted beside him to watch. “HEY!” Sehun yelped as he was attacked by the monkeys. “You did that on purpose!”

“I just moved my chair!” Sunye said, exasperated.

“Yeah, and your arm touched my arm and that made me lose! I’m starting again,” Sehun announced as he re-started the game.

“Hey, no fair! You got two chances!” Sunye complained, trying to get her phone.

Sehun held it away, “Too bad.”

“You’re a giant baby,” she said, sitting back down.

“Shut up and let me concentrate.” Sehun snapped and continued playing.

He ended up with a score of 151, 920

“No freaking way,” her jaw dropped.

Sehun laughed evilly, “I’ll inform you when I think of my wish.”

“But you only beat me by 20 points!” Sunye exclaimed.

Sehun shrugged, “20 points, 2 points, 1 point,” he looked at her. “Doesn’t matter, I still beat you.”

Sunye squinted her eyes at him. She sighed, “Fine. What do you want?”

“I’ll tell you when I think of it,” Sehun repeated.

Sunye sighed again and began playing another game on her phone while Sehun put his hands in his pockets and watched her.

There were many rumors surrounding the two them, especially since the only person Sehun was seen at school with was Sunye. But Sunye was just a friend; nothing more, nothing less.

“What are you getting me for my birthday?” Sunye asked when she got bored of her phone.

“Birthday?” Sehun pretended to be confused. “Your birthday was in July…..”

Sunye slapped his arm hardly, “My birthday is in two weeks!”

“Interesting fact,” Sehun said in a bored voice.

“Buy me chocolate, mm?” she looked up at him hopefully.

“Just play your game,” Sehun pushed her head towards her phone.

“I’m in the mood for chocolate,” she said. Sunye was a chocolate addict. Sometimes Sehun would have to put a limit on the amount of chocolate she ate because she’d get nose bleeds if she had too much.

“I’m in the mood for you to shut up,” Sehun said as Sunye dug her hand into his blazer pocket and took out a caramel chocolate.

She grinned as she held it up, “Can I have it, pleeeasseee?”

“Whatever,” Sehun folded his arms on the desk and rested his head on them, closing his eyes.

Sunye patted his head and began eating the chocolate.

Sehun opened his eyes, “Don’t pat my head.”

When he closed his eyes, she patted his head again.

His eyes snapped open, “I’m older than you.”

Sunye rolled her eyes, “Pft. By like 2 months.”

“Please, like 7 months and 10 days,” Sehun corrected, lifting his head.

“Just go back to sleep,” Sunye mumbled, pushing his head back into his folded arms. Sehun smirked and closed his eyes, falling into his usual nap of the day.

“Sehun, wake up,” half an hour later, Sunye was shaking Sehun’s arm.

“Hmm?” Sehun tiredly woke up, squinting his eyes to adjust to the light.

“Its lunch,” Sunye said, standing up and slinging her bag over her shoulder. “Meet me at the bench, I have to see my guidance counselor. And wake up!” she banged her hand on the desk, right beside Sehun’s ear. He swatted her hand away and she walked out of the room to go to her appointment with the guidance counselor.

Sehun sighed as he stood up. He put his bag over his shoulder and walked out of the empty classroom, rubbing his eyes.

“Sehun!” a girl’s voice called. Sehun turned around sleepily to a new face.

“Uhhh……”

“Don’t you remember me?” she laughed. “It’s me, Jihyun! I just transferred here from my old school.”

Sehun blinked.

“Remember? I went to school with you and Kai?” she reminded.

Sehun blinked again. A bit of recognition hit him but he didn’t remember completely. He had always been bad at remembering people.

“You don’t remember me? Where’s Kai? Maybe he’ll be able to jog your memory,” Jihyun tippy-toed, looking around for Kai. “Where is he? He’s always with you, stuck together like glue. Do you two still cause trouble like before? Don’t you remember me yet?”

Sehun looked away, “I don’t remember. I have somewhere to be right now, so goodbye,” he turned around and walked away.

○○○○○

Tuesday evening, Kai went on a walk to a park an hour away from his house. He didn’t know why he went so far away for a walk. He just felt so suffocated in his area. Everything was the same, but everything was so different at the same time. It was the same house as two years ago, but the interior had changed completely. Everything seemed duller, it was as if ghosts lived in the house and there was no liveliness. Well to be honest, there was no liveliness anywhere for Kai.

Kai walked past a swing that was slowly moving by itself in the evening light. A little child had probably been swinging on it a few minutes ago. Then he or she had jumped off at a high point, thus creating the whole in the sand. The swing was slowly coming to a stop as he walked away.

Somehow, this place made him feel suffocated too. He remembered things he wanted to forget because he knew no such memories would be made again.

○○○○○

Sehun went for a walk to a park near his apartment when the sun set on Tuesday evening. This was a park he went to often when he was feeling particularly lonely.

He sat down on a bench and watched a little girl being pushed by her father on the swings. She was laughing and screaming happily.

“Yay! Higher daddy, higher!”

Sehun smiled a bit as he watched. The little girl jumped and landed in the sand. She dusted herself off before running into her father’s arms.

“Let’s go get ice cream,” he said, running towards the other side of the park. Sehun continued to watch the moving swing, it made him feel calm in a way.

“Higher! Oppa, higher!” Mina yelled giddily as Woobin pushed her on the swing.

“Mina, jump off and run into my arms!” Kai bent down away from the swing and held his arms out.

“No! Mine!” Sehun bent down beside Kai and did the same thing.

Mina giggled and prepared to jump.

“Be careful!” Woobin warned, slowly her down.

Mina jumped and ran. She put her arms around both Kai and Sehun’s necks. When she let go, she beamed at both of them.

“Let’s go get ice cream,” Woobin said as he heard the sound of the ice cream truck. “Come on, we might miss it.”

Skipping to hold Woobin’s hand, Mina went to him and Sehun and Kai followed.

“Sehun, look! It’s the future you!” Kai pointed to a noodle advertisement with a picture of a giant cartoon noodle on it.

“Shut up!” Sehun hit Kai while he laughed. “I’d rather be that than that!” he pointed to a poster of an ad for potatoes. “Couch potato!”

They continued fighting until they got to the ice cream truck and Woobin stuck an ice cream cone in each of their mouths.

Sehun shook the memory off. He didn’t want to remember anything from his old life, it really was crazy how his life had changed from four years ago.

○○○○○

When Kai came home, he changed into a tank top and shorts before going to bed. He looked at the bed across his big room. It was empty; not that he expected someone to be there.

But that didn’t mean he didn’t wish.

Kai looked away and dragged his comforter over part of his body. It didn’t matter either way, throughout the night his blanket would always be barely on him or not on him at all. He lay down and closed his eyes. But he couldn’t fall asleep, he kept tossing and turning.

It was a bad idea to go to that park. Kai thought miserably as he covered his head with his pillow. Scary thoughts and memories were going through his mind and he hated it. He just wanted to escape to the world of sleep where he could pretend like everything was all right.

But as his eyes drooped and he slowly entered dreamland, he wasn’t sure if dreamland was better or not.

“We are here on behalf of the Child Care and Support of South Korea,” one of the men in the suits said. Mina hid behind Kai as they watched Woobin and Sehun in the living room with the men. There was a puff of smoke and the next moment, Sehun had been taken away by the strange men in the suits.

Mina screamed, Kai yelled and demanded that they bring him back. Woobin could only sadly watch, a tear rolling down his cheek as his two siblings yelled and screamed.

The scene changed.      

 “Oppa! Watch me!” Mina called, running through the snow. She spotted an icy ravine up ahead and her eyes sparkled as she thought about what it would be like to skate on it.

“Hold on, just one second!” 15-year-old Kai said in an annoyed voice. They were walking home from the library and Kai was carrying a bunch of books. Mina headed for the ravine.

“No, Mina, don’t go there!” Kai called. He tripped over his shoelace and bent down to tie it up, putting the pile of books beside him. As he stood up and picked the books up, he heard screeching and a big crash.

Kai furrowed his eyebrows and saw that a truck had slid off the road and to the edge of the ravine.

“Wait… where’s Mina?”

His eyes widened and he dropped the books. “MINA!” He ran to the ravine as the truck pulled back and drove away.

There was blood. So much blood.  

“MINNAA!” he screamed furiously as he rushed to the edge of the pond. The ice had broken and her body was going in the ice cold water that was all red now. Kai’s knees gave away on the snow and he grabbed her arm and pulled her towards him, soon he was drenched in blood.

He touched her fragile body that could hardly be recognized. Her eyes were hazy as they drooped.

“O-oppa, it hurts,” she said weakly.

People were gathering around, yelling and screaming things Kai couldn’t hear.

“Shh, don’t talk, it’s going to be okay,” Kai held her in his lap, his entire body was trembling. Now she was drenched in blood and tears.

“Son, I’ve called the ambulance,” a middle aged man put his hand on Kai’s shaking shoulder.

“Mina,” he croaked.

“O-oppa-.” Was all she said before she closed her eyes for the last time.

Kai’s eyes stopped leaking tears and he stared in horror at the lifeless, blood-covered body that belonged to his sister. He screamed and the pool of blood around her body seemed to expand. He was completely surrounded. It was only him, his dead sister, and blood.

He lost his grasp on his sister’s body. He gasped and struggled to hold onto it, but his blood covered hands were too slippery.

“No! Mina!” He reached out for her but she disappeared in the sea of blood that used to be a pond. Death had taken her for good.

Suddenly, Sehun’s clear face bobbed up and down in the blood. Kai’s eyes widened in terror as he stared at the blood oozing out of a corner of Sehun’s forehead. His eyes were open and he was staring blankly at Kai. The blood trickled down his face and mixed in with Mina’s.

“No,” he whispered. “No! Sehun! Mina!”

Sehun’s face remained expressionless as he too sunk into the blood, drowning in it.

“NOO! SEHUN! MINA! HYUNG, HELP!” he screamed, he was sinking into the blood too. But he couldn’t drown now, he had to find Sehun, he had to save Mina-

“AHHHH!” Kai jolted up in his bed, drenched in cold sweat.

He panted loudly as he took in his surroundings. He looked at his arms, they were blood free. He was breathing heavily as he looked around. There was nothing, no one.

At that moment, he felt so alone, so unexplainably isolated. Unknowingly, a tear fell down his cheek as he began to tremble. He had to get out, he had to leave, he had to go somewhere.

But where?

He jumped out of bed and ran out of the house. He just kept running and running and running. He didn’t want to stop, he couldn’t. He wanted to run as far away from his life as possible. He hated it, he hated being lonely, he hated how all he had were memories to haunt him.

Soon he arrived at a bridge that wasn’t too far above a large lake, but not too close. It was a deep lake and the water looked beyond cold. He’d had enough of this world, he was done with it.

Letting his emotions get the best of him, he climbed onto the rail and jumped into the water.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I suppose you all have questions about Sehun, Woobin, the parents and all that. They shall be answered.... soon enough :)

I hope you picked up on the fact that Sehun was seperated from Kai four years ago, and Mina died two years ago. And if you didn't I just told you :D

I have to go now, see you later :P

PS the dream ain't so accurate , just gives a general idea