Chapter 1

A Story to Tell

“What did you get?” Sehun asked Kai as they received their scores for their math test.

“Perfect,” Kai grinned. “You?”

“Me too,” Sehun grinned back and they gave each other a high five. Exceptionally bright kids, naturally intelligent, and of course, the biggest pair of trouble makers one could ever encounter, were all words to describe Oh Sehun and Kim Jongin. They were 10 years old, but they were extremely clever.

They were brothers by adoption, Sehun had been adopted by Kai’s parents when he was a baby. He had always known that he was adopted but it didn’t bother him or the rest of the family, Sehun was more than a brother and son to them.

If you hadn’t been told, you would never be able to guess that Kai and Sehun were not blood brothers with the way they finished each other’s sentences, predicted each other’s actions, and were absolutely inseparable.

The bell rang and it was time for recess. Sehun and Kai threw their tests into the recycling, they did not need them anymore and went outside to create mischief.

“What should we do today?” Kai asked.

“I hear Jihyun has a new skipping rope. Wanna go have some fun?” Sehun smiled sneakily. Kai nodded and they headed for the park where Jihyun and her friends would be playing with her new jump rope. The group of girls were happily playing and did not notice Kai and Sehun enter the playground.

“Into the slide,” Kai said quietly. Making sure they were out of sight, they climbed onto the jungle gym. There was a tic-tac-toe board blocking them from the side of the tube-like slide so the girls could not see them as they climbed up.

“I’ll go first.” Kai whispered and he slid down the slide, making sure not to topple out of the opening and stay inside the slide. “Come!”

Sehun followed suit and bumped into Kai.

“Ouch!”

“Shut up,” Sehun hissed.

“What was that?” one girl asked and Sehun was sure she was looking around to see if anyone was there.

“What?” asked another, who had clearly not heard anything.

“Nothing, never mind, is it my turn to hold the rope?”

Sehun and Kai were quiet for a bit as the girls resumed play. Then they looked at each other and nodded.

“We have been watching you,” Kai said in a loud, raspy voice. “You girls are very naughty.”

Some of the girls screamed.

“Where is it coming from?!”

“The slide!”

“Who is that?!”

They heard the girls coming and Sehun thought quickly.

“You can come see us, if you dare,” he said in his own raspy voice. “Those that have seen our faces however, die in a most painful way. Especially those that play with a stolen skipping rope.”

“Come on over,” Kai said. “We haven’t had humans for a long time. Delicious, delicious.”

“You stole the skipping rope?” one girl asked fearfully.

“No!” came Jihyun’s voice.

“Do not lie, we always know,” Sehun said. “Come little girls, let’s play.”

The girls screamed and Sehun and Kai heard their footsteps running away. Once out of earshot, they howled with laughter and got out of the slide.

“Girls are so stupid,” Sehun chortled.

“What should we do with that?” Kai asked, pointing to the skipping rope that they had left behind.

Sehun shrugged, “Leave it, I guess. If we bring it back, they’ll know it was us.”

Sehun and Kai were always careful not to get caught, they didn’t care most of the time but they did take cautions sometimes.

“Mhmm and we barely got out of the banana in the desk situation,” Kai nodded and they both headed closer to the school. They found a nice spot to lie down and gazed up at the sky.

“Do you think hyung finished his exam yet?” Kai asked. Woobin was in his last year of high school and it was exam time, which meant he only went for half the day to write his exam and then came home early every day for each exam.

“Dunno, probably,” Sehun said. “Exams seem hard.”

“Right,” Kai agreed.

“I wish I was in kindergarten,” Sehun said. “It was so much easier to get away with things back then. We should just go with Mina one day.”

“We’d probably ruin her reputation,” Kai pointed out.

“True,” Sehun laughed. “I hope mom made something good today.”

“We should ask for pizza,” Kai said dreamily.

“We’ll tell Mina to ask,” Sehun corrected. Whenever they needed something, they would ask their little sister to ask their parents because to them, she always got a yes.

The bell rang and they joined the rest of their classmates inside the school. Their literature teacher was very strict so Sehun and Kai never dared to cause trouble in her class. That day, they were reading a story about a boy who had lost all of his family but still found the beauty in life.

Kai began to wonder what it would be like if he lost even one family member. He glanced at Sehun and he immediately felt a cold feeling spread throughout his body.

That would be horrible.

○○○○○

7 years later

Kai woke up on a cool day in September and groggily sat up. He looked around his not so messy room. It was quite simple: white desk in the corner, 2 single white beds and white side tables beside them. One of those beds hadn't been occupied for a long time.

A book shelf with not many books was hung up for no apparent reason. His closet was walk in and his bathroom was across the hall.

He got up from his bed and sleepily headed to the bathroom. It was just another day, another day he unfortunately had to go through.

He brushed, showered, and changed into his school uniform. He was in his last year of high school and could not wait to leave. He had no idea what he would be doing after high school, but he knew he wanted out of it.

When he finished all that, he exited the bathroom and headed to his room. He passed by two doors that had been closed for two years and stared at them. His hand twitched and he was tempted to open the door as more memories flooded his mind.

He shook them off and went to his room to turn his laptop on. He sat at his desk and tapped his fingers on it as he waited for it to load.

Finally, it booted up and he signed into his e-mail.

With shaky hands he began typing.

Hyung,

Where are you?

He stopped and erased it. Then he began typing once again.

Hyung,

Why’d you go?

He stopped again and erased it. What’s the point?

And he closed his laptop, knowing full well that if sent an email, no reply would come.

○○○○○

Kai arrived at his locker and saw a pink letter slid into it.

He rolled his eyes. He was tall and handsome so naturally, the girls wouldn't leave him alone. It was one of the reasons he wanted to leave high school so badly.

They did not care for him, they did not know what he had gone through, they did not know that he had lost everything.

○○○○○

At lunch, Kai went to his usual spot on the roof. There was a chair underneath the storage room that protected him from the sun. It was quiet on the roof and there was no one there which was why he liked it. Sometimes the caretaker would be there and he would have small conversations with him.

The cool air around him made him feel relaxed. Silence was his only friend, seeing as he was around it so much.

He glanced at the cement wall that surrounded the roof. When they had been fixing up a broken part of the wall, Kai had taken the chance to write something into the wet cement; ‘smile’.

‘Smile, even when everything is dark because the pain will go away one day.’

He liked the saying his father had taught his kids.

Too bad he didn't believe in it.

○○○○○

The next day before school, Kai was walking to school with his hands in his pockets.  He sighed as he walked by the shops on the way. What kind of life do I live? So pointless….

Pointless, reckless, meaningless; all words that described Kai’s life to him now. Once in a while, he would do things he would have normally never done, but since he was living such a pointless life he would think ‘Why not try it?’. He would do something so random, just so that he could feel the fact that he was still alive, because sometimes Kai felt like he was dead and he needed something to remind him that he was living.

This was one of those times. He did not think of the consequences of his decisions, he never did. But it was amazing how one wrong decision could change the course of your life.

As Kai was passing by the convenience store, he stopped and looked at it. A new thought was occurring to him and he decided to act quickly. He looked at his school pants, they were a dark colour. He zipped his jacket up, hiding his uniform top and dropped his bag in front of the store before entering it. He straightened up in an attempt to look more mature and dropped the pitch of his voice down a notch.

“One,” he pointed to a pack of cigarettes. The man behind the cashier nodded and grabbed a pack. He looked at Kai strangely but Kai did not look away and kept the fierce look on his face.

“A lighter too,” Kai added and the man nodded again. Kai paid him and tucked the lighter and cigarettes in his pocket before leaving. He picked his bag up and slung it around his shoulder before quickly walking to school.

He had always wondered what smoking a cigarette was like, and now since he had gotten the chance, why not? What could he possibly lose?

But the question Kai’s reckless self did not ask was what was there to gain?

○○○○○

At lunch, he found a secluded area near the storage area of the school and decided to give it a try. He opened the pack and put one cigarette to his lips. He lit the cigarette up and took a puff.

It was horrible. Kai coughed a bit before deciding to try it again. He did not understand what was so addicting about cigarettes but he shook that thought off and took it in again.

He did not cough this time but felt a weird sensation in his throat.

Suddenly, he heard rustling and his eyes widened, someone was coming. Before he could do anything, the janitor came around the corner with a large bin full of bulging garbage bags. He was a balding man by the name of Mr. Choi (commonly known as ‘Crap Collector’) who did not attempt to hide his dislike for the students. He had a special dislike for Kai, mainly because the first time Kai had come across him, he was dripping dirty snow onto his newly waxed floor and seemed to think Kai was the biggest problem in school.

He looked up when he saw Kai and looked between the cigarette and his face. Mr. Choi’s face twisted into a smirk, “Oh dear. We’re in trouble now, aren’t we?”

.


Hiya :)

So what do you think of the first chapter? I hope it's not too confusing, I'm not going to reveal everything at once but throughout the fic I hope the questions/confusion clears up (if it is confusing).

At least its better than the description omg -hides in a corner-

Well see ya~!