Bad Sandwich

Ghost In the Shadow

 

He hadn’t eaten a thing since twenty-four hours ago. Time was constrained, he didn’t even had a second for eating or falling asleep. However, the hours long boat ride gave him enough time to be reminded that he was starving. There was no food around and like him, all the other passengers who were also Chinese immigrants had very little to none belongings on them to save the space on the vessel.

Luhan tightened his grip on whatever he could reach inside the packed cabin; in this case, the opened window pane behind him. The weather was bad, and the waves were high and fierce. The boat ride was a torture since he was sandwiched with the rest of illegal immigrants and he was wet and hungry. They’d arrive in an hour, so he pulled himself together and kept himself awake.

Soon enough, Luhan could see the spotlight high above in the near distance, probably suspended from a pole or something in the middle of the dark harbor. It wasn’t a light that other sea transportations would use as a guide, except for these small vessels that brought in illegal immigrants or items.

As soon as Luhan put his feet on the ground, a couple of men in black garments apprehended him by the arms and dragged him away from the rest of the immigrants. Luhan didn’t fight back because they were far too strong and and bigger than him. He needed to save the energy for the incoming ordeal.

He was brought to a rather deserted area behind tall stacks of steel containers. There were a group of people, all dressed in black suits waiting for him. The place was rather dark since the only source of light came from the moon. He doubt anyone would hear or see him if he was to be killed there.

“So this is the ‘prince’?” An older man said in Korean with a snicker. He must be the leader here. Luhan stayed quiet. He silently regretted inside. He thought that he would at least have some time after he arrived in South Korea, but his father’s men were efficient and quick. He wasn’t surprised though.

“He is rather cute if I must say so myself. If he was a girl, I would have kept him for myself.” He chuckled along with his men. “Go on, boys. He needed some lesson. Just remember that he needs to be alive.” Other than the old man and two people by his side, the rest of the people, about ten people in total all surrounded Luhan. The old man raised his hand at Luhan as a goodbye and walked away as the men started to beat him mercilessly.

In a span of twenty minutes (which felt like hours to him) Luhan was beaten to a pulp. Not that he couldn’t fight back, but against a number beyond anything he could handle, he chose to grit his teeth and received the blows. The more he rebelled, the more serious injury he would risk, and he needed to stay strong for his next plan.

Luhan was barely conscious when they took him into the car with guns pointed at both side of his head. In the middle of the car ride, while they were passing a long bridge, Luhan took both guns in his hand and pointed it to the two guys by his side to make them shoot each other. The driver alerted, the other cars sped up to surround the car he was currently in but Luhan managed to jump out of the car and into the river below.

Luhan managed to lose those people for a while even though he had no idea where he was. He had knack at finding his ways about and thus found the nearest train station in no time. He jumped over the check in gate and entered the empty, last operating train just in time before his chasers appeared again, only to find out that they had missed him. Luhan managed to give them a smirk and waved them goodbye.

Luhan had a good command in the foreign language so it was not a trouble for him to figure out the station he should get off to. Despite his haggard appearance and bloody wounds, Luhan looked just like a local as he led himself around the train station and went to the locker area. He had asked the key of a specific number from the counter, 204. He stared at the number tag dangling from the keychain for a while before he whispered to himelf, “Cheesy bastard.”

In the locker, there was a key, an mp3 player, and a sandwich pack. He reached for the sandwich first. The smell of the sandwich gave hint that it was about to go bad but for a starving guy who was at the verge of death, it was heavenly. As he greedily gulped it down, his eyes stared outside the window.

It was raining heavily.

Autumn rain.

 

 

-

 

 

“I must have got the wrong person,” he muttered. She leaned back a little, as if she was not buying his statement just now. When Luhan looked into her eyes, it felt as if she was hoping he did know her. He was convinced that she looked disappointed. Out of courtesy, she put up a faint smile anyways.

“But you said my name-”

“Where is this place?” Luhan asked, ignoring the fact that she was indeed called Tiffany. Same face, same voice, same favorite colour, same name too. God would be playing a big joke on him if she wasn’t the same person. That aside, he still had a lot to be concerned about. As if she fully understood his concern, Tiffany let the matter slide and catered to his curiosity first.

“This is my house. I found you unconscious in the corridor right in front the door next door. That house wasn’t occupied so I took you in.”

“How long have I been out?”

There was something about the cold tone of his voice that made her anxious. She never thought a face that seemed as pure as a child could exert such intimidating air. She wanted to ask about him too but he was quick enough with his questions to not allow her.

“Three days.”

Luhan’s eyes widened at the unexpected answer. He glanced to the side table and read the time on the pink alarm clock. 11.00 a.m.

“Did anything… Anything that is out of the norm happened lately?” Luhan looked at her again. She seemed to be thinking for a while before she shook her head.

“Not any that I’m aware of.”

A few knocks on the door prevented their conversation from going further. They both turned their heads towards the door and watched as a tall young guy entered the room. He was dressed smartly; ironed shirt, smooth slacks and neatly folded sleeves to the elbow. His eyes were strictly fixed on Luhan, who swallowed hard as he hid his shock from coming face to face with that guy.

Uncomfortable with the somewhat thick air in the room, Tiffany broke the silence with civil introduction. “Um, this is Kris. He is a doctor I know who lives nearby. He had been treating you for the past few days. You had a very high fever. Thanks to Kris your condition improved without having to take you to the hospital,” Tiffany informed, “And I’m Tiffany, by the way.”

Luhan slightly bowed his head at Kris. He wasn’t as rude as she initially thought.

“Tiffany,” Kris called, “can you leave us alone? I need to do some check up on him for a moment.”

She smiled at him and nodded before she got up and left the room. After the door clicked shut, Kris walked closer to the bed and sat at the edge of it.

Luhan heaved a sigh and lowered his head. He was still too weak.

“You shouldn’t be here.” Luhan weakly warned.

“I’ve been here for three years and still alive.” Kris chuckled. “You don’t have to worry.”

“Still, you shouldn’t be seen with me. How is the documents preparation going?”

“Everything will be ready in less than 24 hours. Until then, just stay low.”

Luhan nodded. “You too. Don’t come here while I’m still here.”

“Let’s see about that. I always do what I want.” Kris smirked. For the first time since he woke up, Luhan smiled along. If he was healthier, he would have punched that smirk off Kris’ annoyingly handsome face.

“You should eat that.”  Kris nodded his face towards the warm porridge in the bowl on the side table. Tiffany brought it in when she entered the room previously. Now that his thought was distracted from his desperate flight, Luhan’s thoughts began to focus on Tiffany again.

“Hey, Kris. Do you know this girl?”

“Tiffany? Yeah. She is a nurse. We used to work in the same clinic a couple years ago. We used to be neighbors too. Why?”

“Is she…” Luhan continued to stay quiet. After a while, he spoke again. “Nothing.”

Kris sensed something much more than just mere curiosity just by reading Luhan’s expression. It seemed as if Luhan knew something about her, but he decided not to push too far into the matter for the time being. Luhan needed more rest first and foremost.  

 

-

 

This chapter is a little boring I guess. Can you guess who Luhan is, or who he is running away from?

Things will get more interesting next chapter because there are more lufany for us!

Thank you for all the support guys!

 

XOXO