Daylight

Ghost In the Shadow

Tiffany was all set for her job. She had three layers of clothing on and a very thick sweater on top of all those. The weather had been merciless these past few days. She wanted to make sure she didn’t catch any cold. On the way to the door, she picked up her sling bag and headed out. Before she managed to lock the door, a gasp escaped her lips at the shocking sight awaiting her outside.

There was a young man, about her age, dirty and unconscious, curled at the door next to her unit. Tiffany rushed towards the rather thin figure and crouched next to him.

"Hey, can you hear me?" Tiffany lightly tapped his cheek. Her eyes widened at the skin contact; he was burning! Tiffany tried to shake his shoulder, but he didn’t budge an inch. Tiffany rummaged through her bag and pulled out her phone. She dialed a number.

"Hello? Kris! I need your help!"

 

-

 

When he woke up, it was warm and bright. Luhan had to blink a few times to adjust to the light. After all, it had been weeks since he last saw the daylight. He chuckled, thinking how funny it was to feel so alive even under this condition. There were still a lot to think about but at that very moment, he felt somewhat thankful.

The ceiling was white, but the enclosed wall around him was adorned with light pink, flowery wallpaper. The blanket that was warming his body was also in pink. He could tell that he wasn’t in a hospital; to his relief.

Luhan pushed himself up even though he didn’t really have the energy to do so. But then, if he wasn’t that stubborn or determined, he wouldn’t have been alive today.

“Thank god, you’re finally awake,” a girl heaved a sigh of relief as soon and she entered the room and saw him. She quickly made her way towards the side of the bed.

The moment her face entered his sight, time stopped. He was sure that she asked him some questions, but he couldn’t hear her anymore. He widened his eyes to make sure his eyes weren’t playing tricks. Memories, the sweet and bitter ones all came rushing to the surface of his mind, creating a whirlpool inside; further increasing the intense pain in his head.

“Ugh!” Luhan groaned and quickly closed his eyes, thinking that the memories would fade away that way but it became more vivid under his lids. He quickly palmed his throbbing head.

“Are you okay?” Her sweet voice asked, heavily laced with concern.

She even sounded the same.

Luhan took a deep breath and opened his eyes again. He couldn’t believe it.

“T… Tiffany?”

It was the girl’s turn to widen her eyes. She stared at him in astonishment.

“Do you… Know me?” She asked.

Her question took him by surprise. The whirlwind in his head rewound as far as four years ago. Something had happened. He didn’t know what, but looking at his situation now, he thought it was the best.

“I must have got the wrong person,” he muttered. She leaned back a little, as if she was not buying his statement just now. When Luhan looked into her eyes, it felt as if she was hoping he did know her.