Black Noodles

Ghost In the Shadow

 

"What happened after that?"

Luhan raised an eyebrow. "What happened after that? You got home and continued attending school as usual. That's all."

"That's all?" Tiffany frowned. She didn’t seem to be satisfied.

"Why? Do you wish we fell in love or something?" Luhan smirked. His question immediately turned Tiffany a bit pink in the cheeks.

"I… I mean… Do you know anything else about me?"

Luhan shrugged. "You were in the third year, me in the second. We didn’t cross path much. I heard you were popular with the boys, and a lot of the kids at school made fun of your poor Chinese, but you weren’t bullied or anything. After you graduated, your whole family took that plane back to South Korea," Luhan paused, his voice dropped a pitch, "but your family didn’t make it."

Tiffany stared at the floor. She was somewhat disappointed. She wished she knew more about herself, but it seemed like Luhan didn’t know much about her ether. The story he told her seemed too vague and plain she couldn’t help but felt that he excluded some facts, but that could just be her. Maybe she expected too much.

Tiffany took a deep breath and exhaled it slowly.

"Maybe I should just give up finding out my past," she said weakly.

"You should. You seem to be having a perfectly fine life, why bother looking for your past?"

Tiffany smiled bitterly. "Not having a past, or anyone who actually know who you were, can be a little lonely sometimes."

Luhan felt a speck of sympathy inside of him, but he couldn’t allow himself to invest much feeling towards her. He stood up and put on his poker face again.

"No more questions, right? You can leave now."

Tffany frowned at him, feeling offended at his poor hospitality. How could he act that way towards someone who took care of him when he was about to die?

"What happened to you that night?" Tiffany quickly shot him a question before he made another attempt to shoo her out of the house.

"I'm not going to answer any questions about me."

"Why not? If we are going to be neighbors, might as well be a little friendly towards each other, right?" Tiffany stood up to maintain their eye level. Luhan avoided her eyes but grabbed her arm instead.

"Excuse me, what are you-" her complain stopped midway, shocked when Luhan dragged her towards the front door. Did he hate her that much?

"How rude!" Tiffany exclaimed.

"Not my problem," Luhan replied, his voice was monotone and void of concern. He opened the door and froze to see Kris standing outside, his hand was hovering mid-air, about to push the doorbell. Kris stared at both Tiffany and Luhan in amusement.

"Did I miss anything interesting?" Kris smirked.

"Nothing," Luhan answered and then returned his attention on Tiffany. "You, get out." He shoved her out of his house. Kris raised his eyebrows and mock-curved his lips downwards, unpleased at the way Luhan treated Tiffany. Luhan had always been known to not show mercy to even women, so Kris wasn’t surprised.

"Can you believe it?!" Tiffany complained to Kris. "How can he do that to a girl? Especially after what I've done for him!"

"Calm down," Kris coaxed her, "I suggest you go home fist. Let me talk to him."

Tiffany really did calm down with Kris' mere words. Luhan was amused at how easily Kris influenced her. But Kris had always been good with the ladies.

"But why are you here?" Tiffany asked Kris. Kris chuckled and then averted his eyes towards Luhan instead. Luhan looked away, annoyed with Kris' smirk.

"I'm doing a little check-up on him. I brought him dinner too," Kris answered, showing her the take away Chinese food in a plastic bag.

"When did you guys become friendly?" Tiffany pouted, still unsatisfied at the way Luhan treated her while he seemed to be getting along well with Kris.

"I guess since we’re both Chinese, I have a soft spot for him."

Luhan rolled his eyes. Cheesy bastard.

 

 

 

“Here it is, all the documents you’ll need. Your forged identity, an id card, a passport, driving license. A new phone for you so I can safely contact you. Also, a plane ticket to Sweden, tomorrow at 3.20 p.m.” Kris placed the large envelop on the coffee table as he took a seat on the sofa. Luhan reached for the envelope and briefly examined the content.

“Jesse Wong? What’s with the English name? I barely speak the language.”

Kris shrugged with a smug look on his face. “The farther it strays from reality, the better.” He chuckled.

“Very funny.” Luhan put down the envelope and picked up a bowl of black noodles brought by Kris. “How’s life?” Luhan asked while he started eating his dinner. If it wasn’t for Kris, he probably would have dined only on the cucumbers available in the fridge. He didn’t want to risk being located by those gang members by going outside.

“Life is good. I have a stable job. I’m a doctor at a local clinic. The neighbors are warm and kind. And I’m getting married next month.”

Luhan briefly paused whatever he was doing and then immediately resumed his dining. “Congrats. Too bad I can’t attend your wedding.”

“Luhan.”

“Yeah?”

“Can’t you just stay here? At least you have me with you. You get to have a really cute girl for a neighbor too.” Kris pointed his thumb towards the unit next door, referring to Tiffany.

“Obviously no. They already know that I’m here. I need to get out of here as fast as I can and it’s best for Tiffany to stay away from my business.”

“You knew her before, didn't you?”

Luhan finished the last portion of the food and then wiped his mouth clean with a tissue paper.

Luhan nodded. “She doesn’t remember me though.”

“Is she possibly… that girl?”

“Yeah, she is.” Luhan’s voice grew smaller; his reply was almost a whisper.

“Maybe we can find a way somehow, for you both to-”

“It’s impossible, and you know it. You were a member of the triad, and I’m the actual, immediate successor of the organization. You were just a breath away from being dead just by trying to get them off your tail. And you were lucky enough to achieve that. They are going to be harsher than that towards me. You know the rules. If you’re not staying, you die.”

Kris sighed, giving up on their little debate knowing that Luhan was right all along.

 

 

 


 

As always, thank you for reading! All comments are loved!