02.

Taste of Longing.

credits; BANG_ZELO15

 

 

Soomin’s POV

I headed straight to my room as soon as I reached home. My sister was eagerly waiting for me to hear any good news from me. Too bad, there wasn’t any good news. I should have known this would come in the first place.

I ignored all the questions she threw at me the moment I stepped inside the house. I slammed the door to my room and locked it. I collapsed onto the floor before I could hold it any longer.

I broke down. I leaned against the door, hugging both knees close to my chest and cried as hard as I could. Everything I held back ever since that scene with Chanyeol shattered into pieces and down into the form of tears.  

Sehee unnie came knocking on my door as my crying was so loud it was inevitable not to be heard. She begged me to open the door. I knew she was worried but I wasn’t ready to tell her what the man I loved did. I was afraid I would break down just as hard as now in front of her. In fact, at this very moment, even his name was enough to break my heart.

I didn’t bother to notice the time as I crawled myself on the bed and curled up to sleep. I skipped dinner as the pain I felt was enough to dominate the grumbling sound my stomach was making.

 

~*~

 

The next morning, I woke up with puffy eyes. They were swollen badly that I didn’t think make ups would do to cover up the eye bags. I dressed up for school and went downstairs for breakfast as usual.

Sehee unnie was all set up for her classes too. Mom and dad must have gone to work early since they were nowhere to be found. The table was already set up with food. Mom never left her daughters to starve.

“Oh my! Look at you. What happened?” Sehee unnie gasped and cupped my face, examining my bad, bloated eyes.

I shook my head slightly. “It’s okay. It will be back to normal soon.”

“I don’t think so. Sit,” she ordered. “I’ll cover up for you with some make ups.”

I obeyed without protesting.

“So…” she broke the silence. “What happened?”

She sat, facing me and got professional with the blusher and other make up tools.

I shrugged.

“I lost.”

“What do you mean?” she frowned.

“I wasn’t even close to getting him. It’s always been this way. We’re just meant to be best friends.”

Something built up again inside me. It felt like something got stuck in my throat but I shoved those feelings aside. I didn’t want to make anything harder for Sehee unnie in covering these already bulged eyes.

“Did you at least get to give him the chocolate?”

I shook my head sideways as an answer.

“I bet it’s on its way to the rubbish dump.”

Sehee unnie could only bit her lips. I knew she felt bad for me. After all, she’s the only person I shared most of my secrets with. She’s my other half.

After a moment, she spoke.

“What are you going to do now?”

I let out an exasperated sigh. I’ve been thinking about that a lot while I was crying to bed last night. I shouldn’t let myself fall into the doom just because of this. I didn’t want to be one of those stupid girls getting depressed because of one heart broken. I had decided. I would always be by Chanyeol’s side - waiting at the other side of the road willing to give my hands whenever he needed them. That’s the only way I could cherish him; the man I loved.

“Nothing will change. It will stay like it is. He is my best friend and I am his. No one will know my feelings for him and I need you to promise me that.”

I stared at her, searching for her eyes. She looked uncertain.

“Please?”

She sighed. “I promise.”

I smiled.

“Thank you, unnie.”

 

~*~

 

Being in senior year wasn’t as easy as the previous years. It was always my wish to confess to Chanyeol before our high school graduation but now he’s the reason for my teardrops and the only thing that kept me wishing on a wishing star. He would never know what I felt for him.

I was walking on the hallway when someone appeared beside me and threw his arm around my neck. I didn’t have to turn to know who it was. His scent was enough to tell me it’s Chanyeol. It was strong yet soft. There was also a twinge of some rare, vibrantly fierce and bewitching flower. If I were to describe the colour of Chanyeol’s perfume, I would go with soft chocolate-brown.

He played with a string of my hair. He always did that although I warned him many times that he would mess it. Of course, he wouldn’t listen.

“Are you free today?” he asked, grinning.

I looked up to meet his round, deep eyes. “Why?”

His already big eyes grew bigger.

“What happened to your face? And your eyes?” he cupped my face.

Oh no! Even make up didn’t do anything better.

I pulled his hands from my face and faked a smile.

“It’s nothing. I – “

“Let me guess,” he cut me off. “You stayed up again?” he glared.

He knew me too well. Staying up every night wasn’t something new to me because that was when I spent my time finishing any school projects and studying.

“Y-yeah. I stayed up all night,” I lied.

He flicked my forehead.

I cringed.

“Yah!” I yelled.

He laughed. Looking at him, I started to laugh too. It was impossible not to fall for his smile and contagious laugh. I fell too deep there was no chance to get out of it. 

He s his arm around me again and we continued walking.

“Wait for me after school. I want to take you somewhere,” he flashed a cheeky smile.

I frowned, about to ask more when he cut me off again.

“Don’t ask. Just do as I say, okay?” he tapped my nose and gave me that playful wink before leaving me dumbfounded.

I didn’t even get to say anything. That’s Chanyeol. It’s his charm to make people do as he said and I didn’t mind at all if it’s him. I chuckled as I watched him clumsily stumbling himself through the hallway. 

To be continued...

 

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin LutherKing, Jr.

 

 

New update is here! I made this chapter from Soomin's point of view because I thought I could describe what she's going through better and touched you readers easily. Or what do you think? Feel free to leave your comment after reading and tell me your thoughts ^^ 

Thanks to bexo_addiction99 for being my beta reader ^^ 

Enjoy!