Chapter Seven

Hired Killers' Life

 I wake up with a groan. I accidentally move my shoulder hastily, and it sends a dart of pain through my body.  I look around. I'm in a room--just plain room. With windows, drawers, cabinets, and other things a typical room can have; nothing special.

 Then I suddenly remember: I passed out in the alley and someone carried me away from the police. The question is: Who saved me from the police?

 I try to rise to a sitting position, but the pain on my side makes it impossible for me. Well, I still try and I'm finally on a sitting position.

 "You shouldn't force yourself to sit. Your wound's deep. Luckily, I got the bullet out," someone says.

 I look around to see who the heck just spoke. Then, I spot him, far at the corner of the room and sitting on a chair, Adam. It makes my mouth fall open. He's the one who saved me?

 He scoffs. "You look pretty surprised. Let me guess, you weren't expecting that I would save you."

 My face distorts. "Yeah, seriously. Why'd you save me? And, where the heck am I?"

 "At my place, obviously," he replies. He stands up, gets his chair and walks towards the bed. He places the chair at the side of my bed and sits on it, looking at me. I look back at him. "What?" he demands.

 "You still haven't answered my question," I say sternly. "Why'd you save me?"

  "Wow. Impatient, are we?" he says. "Alright, let me get this to you straight. I saw you running away from the police and I also saw you've been shot. I kind of pitied you so--"

 "Pitied me? I thought you said that killers don't have those feelings?" I fire back.

 He reaches up and scratches his temple. "Hey, look, just be grateful I helped you. You'd be dying in that alley if it wasn't for me. Just--"

 "NO," I say angrily. He flinches back a bit, just a bit.

 "What the do you really want to know? I've already told you the reason why I saved you," he snaps.

 "No, not that," I snap back. "Why did you kill Hong Jun?"

 He rolls his eyes and scoffs. "Orders, obviously."

 I narrow my eyes on him. "From who?"

 He scoffs again. "As if I would tell you."

 "Tell me or I'll--"

 "Or what?" he cuts me off. "Shoot me? Pulverize me?"

 I control my temper. This guy's really getting in my nerves. "Seriously, Adam, you're not gonna tell me?"

 "Seriously, Courtney, no," he says sarcastically.

 So he knows all about me. Even my name. What is he, a stalker? I smile and decide to annoy him. "Okay, then. Why'd you save me?"

 "What, are we going back there again?" he scowls and gets up from his chair. He ruffles his short spiky hair violently. "FINE, FINE. I'll tell you so you can shut up now," he says.

 I laugh a little. "Now we're getting somewhere," I say. "All right then, fire away."

 "I got orders from your damn boss, kay?" he says.

 My mouth falls open. "Wait, what?"

 He rolls his eyes again. "What, are you deaf or something? Want me to repeat it again? Okay, then," he says. "I got orders from your boss. Conor. Then when I saw you running from the police and got shot, and yes, I kinda pitied you, but it's not all pity."

 I pucker my brows. "Then what is it?"

 He leans back on the wall beside the window and looks out. "I don't know, but I just suddenly felt that I owe you something. Something--" he trails off and looks back at me. His eyes suddenly turning soft. "I just don't know. Kinda weird, right?" he smiles a little.

 Wait, did he just smile? And his eyes are suddenly soft. He's so different from the Adam Jung I know; cold eyes and voice, violent, and a ruthless killer. But now, he's so.....so normal.

 He raises his eyebrow. "What?" he demands.

 I mentally curse myself for staring at him for so long. But he just smiles and says,"What, are you thinking that I'm not capable of smiling?"

 Why can he always guess everything that goes inside my mind? "Well, I'm just not used to you like this," I reply.

 He shakes his head. "C'mon. I'm not made of stone, you idiot. Of course I still smile," he says. "You know what, you're one lucky . It's a good thing you’re wearing your cap and the police didn't identify your face. A job well done."

 "Yeah, nailed it." I smile.

 "Get some rest. So we can fight each other again." he walks towards the door. "Just come out when you're able."

 "Hey," I say. He pauses from going out the room and looks back at me. "Thanks."

  He just smiles. "Just don't overstep yourself, biscuit." he gets out and shuts the door.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry that it's sooooo short guys. Just gonna update this now cause I'll be busy within this week. And classes start on Monday. Grrr. I'll try to update next week. And I promise that I will make it long. Huehue. :)