Chapter Six

Hired Killers' Life

Park Shin Hye

 

 Damn this guy. My head still aches from the blow he gave me last night. He sure knows how to knock people out with just one blow.

 I'm resting at my safe house right now. Still no calls from the people I get orders from.

 I suddenly remember the note. He mentioned his name there. "Adam Jung," I mumble. "Who really are you?"

 I go to my desktop computer and search for his name on the list of the people in our country. I have the access to the list after I secretly hacked it from the government's system years ago. I hacked it so I can just easily look for my target's background and information.

 Anyway, I search his name on the list. After a moment, it shows only one result, so I open it, expecting to see something.

 But hell, I'm wrong.

 It only shows a picture of a young boy with a "deceased" mark on it. And it says that he died in the year 1999; also the year that my father died. There are no more further information, no real name, birthdate, address, school-nothing. It just simply shows that "Adam Jung" is a deceased young boy back from 1999.

 I lean back on my chair, silently cursing the list. It doesn't make any sense. Does he just use that name? If not, then why does it say that he's already deceased? Why does everything about that guy is mysterious? Why is-

 My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing. I don't even bother checking the damn caller and just quickly answer it.

 "WHAT?" I say angrily.

 "Woah, woah! Easy there, tiger." the person on the other line said. "What's wrong?" 

 "Uh, nothing, nothing. Wait, who is this?"

 "It's me. Conor."

 "Oh, hey. Why'd you call?"

 "Come here at my place. I have a job for you."

 I'm really not in the mood for a job today. But as if I have any choice. "Now?"

 "NOW," he repeats sternly.

 "Fine, fine. I'll be there in ten." I end the call.

 

 I arrive at Conor's place and walk straight to his room, ignoring the people who greet me along the way.

 I open the door of his office and walk in. He's used with me barging in his room, anyway. Why bother knocking? I shut the door with my heel. "What's up?" I say as I walk towards a chair and sit on it.

 Conor leans back on his chair to more comfortable position. "I need you to take care of someone," he says. "Someone important."

 This triggers my curiosity. "Okay, fire away."

 "The known prosecutor, Lee Seung Hyun, also known as Marcus Lee/Seungri-or whatever that motherer wants to be known as," he starts. "He has leads that are about to expose my colleagues' asses."

 His statement makes my brows raise. "Colleagues? I thought you're the only known big criminal here?"

 He rolls his eyes. "I have connections, kay? Marcus received an anonymous call telling him that he knows all the information about us and he's surrendering by going to the prosecutor's office. This damn guy is one of my colleagues' men. I need you to terminate him." he gives me the picture of the man.

 I take it and look at it closely. "What's his name?"

 "So Hong Jun," he replies. "Hong Jun's going to the prosecutor's office later at eleven o' clock. You still have an hour to do your job. Make sure he doesn't reach the prosecutor's office alive. Because if he does and rants him about us, you just want to kiss your life outside goodbye and say hello to your life in jail."

***

 I pull the brim of my cap down to cover up the half of my face. I'm leaning on a lamp post of a street intersection, silently observing the place looking for Hong Jun.

 I finally spot him. He's walking towards my direction, cautiously looking around; looking around for people who'll try to kill him, I guess.

 I remove my cap as he comes near me. "Uhm, sir?" I say innocently.

 He flinches a bit when I called him, then smiles nervously at me. "Yes?"

 "Do you happen to know," I say as I take out a piece of paper in pocket, "where this address is?" I silently hope that my plan will work.

 He looks down at the paper and examines it closely. "Oh, yeah. I think I--" he suddenly trails off. Then I see that his eyes are looking directly at my jacket. He looks up at me nervously, then looks at his watch. "Oh, will you look at that. I'm already late for my appointment. I guess you better ask somebody else for directions. Bye," he says.

 Holy . He saw the gun in my jacket. I smile my amused smile and call out, "I don't think so." With that, he runs away quickly.

 I run after him, hoping that I'll catch up with him. He rounds at a corner and goes left, and I don't follow him there. Instead, I go to the street at my left and go right to an alley. I quickly intercept him as I reach the end of the alley. I punch him hard on the face, which sends him to the ground, and drag him to the alley I went through.

 He lies on the ground, breathing hard. "What the do you want?" he demands.

 I give him an amused smile. "You dare to talk to me like that?" I advance towards him and he backs away. "Don't worry, man," I say. "It'll just hurt a little, then it'll be over soon."

 He stands up. "Conor sent you, didn't he?"

 "Yeah, sure," I reply. 

 "I knew it," he mutters. "I shouldn't have joined their group. I never thought they're crazy."

 "You should've known better." I get my gun from my jacket and point it at him.

 I hear a gasp behind me. I whirl around and see a young man, maybe fourteen or fifteen, standing with his mouth open.

 I glower at him. "This isn't a place for you, kid. Scram," I say and turn back to Hong Jun.

 "They're planning something big. You should know," he says.

 "I already know that they're planning something big," I reply. "Just shut up. Goodbye, buddy." I'm about to pull the trigger when another shot is fired.

 Hong Jun quickly falls to the ground, creating a halo of blood around his head on the ground.

 I look up to see who shot him. Then I just want to scream in frustration.

 Standing about ten meters away from me, is Adam Jung, the cold-blooded killer I've pissed off last night.

 I put my gun back inside my jacket. "What the heck?!" I shout at him. Is this guy an alien? He keeps on appearing out of nowhere then disappears quickly. Is this some sort of joke?

 "You're too slow to kill. Tsk, poor you." he shakes his head.

 "Shut up, pal. You just killed my target. I mean, what the , I got here first and he's my kill, my money!"

 "Look, I don't care if he's your target or whatever he was to you. I just need to kill him for my own good, for my own money, of course," he calmly replies. Wait, did he just say for his own good?

 "I'm gonna kill you, seriously," I grumble.

 "Well, I guess you would. But not now. I still have other things to do. Maybe next time? You'll have your chance, don't worry. Adios," he says and runs off quickly.

 I run after him and I see him round the corner. But as I reach the end of the alley and turn to where he went, he's already out of sight. "Damn," I curse silently.

 I kick the nearest trash can I see. And I send it flying across the street. Why do I keep on meeting that guy? Does this have to do with fate?

 I wear my cap again and start walking across the street.

 "That's her!" someone shouts. I look back and see the young man from the alley earlier, with a police beside him. "She pointed a gun at the man!"

 "Damn kid," I mutter and run quickly.

 "Go get her!" I hear the police shout.

 I run to different streets and through alleys but I can't lose the police. They're just so persistent.

 Just then, a shot is fired. And I feel a terrible pain at my side. I put my hand on my side and when I look at it, it's wet with blood. "Probably not my lucky day," I tell myself.

 I keep on running, but every step I take sends a pain on my side. My vision's starting to get blurry, but I still keep on running. Another shot is fired, and it hit me on the shoulder.

 "Not really my lucky day!" I still manage to tell myself.

 I hide behind a huge garbage bin in the alley and sit with my back against the wall. I clutch my side and I feel myself grimace.

 Running's no use. I've been cornered. I'll have to kiss my life out here goodbye and say hello to my life in jail, just like Conor said.

 My vision starts to go blurry and I try to shake my head prevent on passing out. But the pain on my side and shoulder are just too much.

 I hear the police sirens at the end of the alley. "Well, come and get me," I say bitterly. "I won't run."

 I'm about to pass out when another shot is fired somewhere near me, then an explosion. I look up to see where the shot came from, but my vision's too blurry to see clearly.

 The last thing I see is a pair of arms carrying me away.