Chapter Five

Hired Killers' Life

So, uh, just gonna give you a chapter in Adam's perspective. Hehe. I'll update again next week, after our training. It's our last week of training in the camp. Goodluck to me, though. Haha! Happy reading! XD

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Adam Jung

 I go back to my safe house, which is located at the far side of the village that I came through earlier. I check my watch, and it says it's two in the morning. I still haven't had a decent sleep since yesterday. The girl I met earlier keeps bugging my mind. She reminds me of someone; it's like I've seen her before. Just then, I remember something.

 "No, no. It can't be. It can't be her," I tell myself while shaking my head.

 I decide to shake away my thoughts and go inside my safe house. I unlock the door and shut it with my heel. I turn the lights on, and I freeze when I see him, the worst man I've ever met.

 "What the--" I trail off, suddenly remembering that it's still early in the morning to shout. "What the are you doing here again, Joon Ho?" I say with my normal cold voice.

 "Just decided to stop by. Haven't seen you for a while. How're you?" he says.

 "Wow. Did I just hear you asking how am I? Did you eat something? You never ask me that. You never cared about my life, Joon Ho, you just care about yourself," I say.

 "Haven't I told you that we killers never mention our real names? We use english names, for heaven's sake, Adam. Can't you understand that? And you have no right to talk to me like that."

 I scoff. "Oh, really? Well, I'm sorry for my mistake, Uncle Chandler," I say angrily, emphasizing the word uncle. Yeah, he's my uncle. My uncle who killed my father that's his own brother. Pretty bad, right?

 "You know what, you really have your father's attitude. You're just as the same as him. Cold, scary, intimidating, you name it. You're like his younger version." he laughs. "Wait, what happened to your hand?" he says, looking at my hand.

 "It's nothing. See?" I say, removing the bandage. "Just had a little chat with someone."

 "Ah. I see. Did you kill him?"

 "Him? You mean her."

 "Her? You mean, you had a fight with a girl?" he looks pretty surprised.

 "Pretty much," I reply. "She's a killer, though. Not just some ordinary girl you meet out there."

 "Be careful, Adam. You might fall for her."

 His statement makes me laugh. "What? Of course not. What do you think of me, a guy who's easily attracted to girls? Oh, c'mon. You have to think better than that," I say coolly.

 "I'm just saying the possibilities," he says. "It's not impossible."

 I smile my usual sly smile. "Yeah. It's not. So what are you gonna do if that happens?"

 He stares at me hardly. I can see in his eyes that he's just been pissed off. "You better think well before doing something. You're a killer, you can't be distracted with that kind of things."

 "I never wanted to be this way. You turned me into this," I spit the words hardly. "You said you won't kill them if I do what you want. But you still killed them. You gave your word, Chandler, you gave your ing word!" I shout at him; my eyes burning.

 He grabs me by the collar and pushes me to the wall, my head and back slamming hard against it. "Watch your words, Adam. You don't know what I'm capable of," he warns me with gritted teeth.

 "Is that so?" I reply. "Well, you also don't know what I'm capable of." I push him away from me. "Just get the out of here. I might kill you. And don't you dare think that I won't do it."

 He breathes heavily before saying, "Just remember this, Adam: You'll never be alive if it wasn't for me." After that, he leaves silently.

 I go straight to the restroom and wash my face. I look at myself at the mirror, looking how stressed, tired, and angry I am at the same time. And I can't stop thinking how would it be if I didn't become like this, a killer, a murderer, anything. I just don't know who I am anymore.

 I punch the mirror because of frustration and anger. New wounds appear on my injured hand, but I don't feel anything. I got used with all these pain I'm suffering from.

 I stare at the blood oozing out from my knuckles and dripping down on the sink. I wash my hand and wrap it with a new bandage from the cabinet, and I go back to my room. I lie down on my bed and look at the ceiling. If I didn't become like this, what would it be like? Living a normal life, have a decent job, have fun, any other things normal people do. But it's too late. I'm this now, there's no turning back. So I just close my eyes and sleep these frustrations off.

 

 I wake up at the sound of my alarm. It's already nine in the morning. I groggily rise into sitting position. Still haven't had enough sleep. But I can't just lie around here all day.

 Just then, my phone starts ringing. I check to see who it is, but it's an unknown number. I answer the call.

 "Hello?" I say, half awake.

 "Is this Adam?" the person from the other line says.

 "Yeah. Who is this?"

 "It's Jin Hyuk. Can you meet me at my place?"

 "Jin Hyuk? Haven't heard about you for a while. How'd you get my number?"

 "It doesn't matter. Can you come here?"

 "Yeah, sure. I'll be there at twenty." I end the call.

 

 I arrive at Jin Hyuk's place after exactly twenty minutes. It's an underground warehouse full of weapons, bombs, drugs, and any other illegal things you can think of. This man's sort of a known criminal and is being hunted down, but still, he's never been captured.

 While I'm walking towards his room, all the men in the warehouse are looking at me. And when I stare back at them, they all look away. I just scoff. "That's right. Don't look at me, or your dead," I say to myself.

 I continue my way to Jin Hyuk's room. I don't even bother knocking before going inside the room. I just barge in and close the door behind me.

 "Adam, welcome," he greets.

 "What is it that you want?" I ask him.

 "I have a job for you," he replies. "I need you to take care of someone."

 "Aight. Just tell me who it is and where can I find him. No need for instructions on how to kill him. I have my own ways."

 He smiles slyly. "Good, then. How fast can you do your job?"

 "Well, my record was just five minutes, including going to his place and going back to my client."

 "Let's see how fast you can do your job."

 "We'll see," I say coolly.