ACT 03

[DISCONTINUED] Imperfectly Perfect
Sunggyu lies motionless in his bed. 
Having that injury in his left arm caused him to lose the job he had at the fish market. His boss said that he cant carry heavy fishes anymore because of that injury. He also lost the one in the bookstore. They said that he already looks suspicious with those scary squinty eyes, but with that bandage in his arm, it scares people more. So he was fired. 
 
The upside about this is that he gets more sleep than he used to. But even if he does have more time, he still cant sleep. He's haunted by the thought of his tuition. He doesn't know where he'll get the rest of money that he needs.
 
He tosses and turns at his bed and sighs once he faced the wall. 
'This is the end huh.' He thought to himself. 'I'll be forced out of the university and i'd have to go back home without any degree in music .. Mom and dad was right .. I was never meant to go far in life. I'm just a stupid son of a farmer.' 
 
Sunggyu's parents never really supported him with what he wanted. They say that learning music's impractical. That learning how to sing is good enough but studying to write lyrics in songs is a huge waste of time. 
 
Sunggyu has always been good at singing. Ever since he was little, his teacher would always praise him for singing children songs well. Sunggyu got the confidence he needed when he was a kid from his kindergarten teacher. And so, whenever his teacher would ask someone to sing a song, his hands would always bolt straight up. Yelling: "pick me teacher!! Pick me!!" The teacher would just always lovingly smile at sunggyu and urge him to stand up. 
 
Whenever he sings, people would always stop with everything they do and listen to him. However, his parents are immune to that. They were really never home to hear sunggyu sing. So they never really knew how good people say their son is. But even though he spent his childhood alone with no friends, he was happy to be alone with a walkman and cassette tapes that his dad buys at garage sales. He listens to them, and slowly but surely, picks up the song and memorizes it without any help from a lyric sheet.  
 
He once competed for a singing competition when he was 10 and surprisingly placed first. Everyone cheered for him that day except for his parents. They weren't there to see him win. They were busy in the fields because a strong storm is coming. They said they had to take everything out to the shed. When Sunggyu got home that day, he holds in his tiny hands his gold trophy and cash prize. His parents weren't in a very good mood that day so the three ended up having a heated argument over something silly when Sunggyu tried to boast his achievement and his trophy, smashed to bits. 
 
When he was in 4th grade, they were taught how to read notes and sunggyu did very well to the point that he also made his first song. But sadly, people say it wasn't good enough. But that never stopped him from composing again. By then, people call him the G-clef because he's a whizz at music. People always see him walking around with music sheets when he was at that age. 
 
Like everyone else in their university, sunggyu plays an instrument too. He plays the piano. He took an interest in it when he was 6 because his dad gave him a cassette tape that plays classical music. He listened to it over and over again until his walkman broke. But when he was 12, that is when he truly learned how to play the celestial ivory keys. His family isn't very well off and so it took him 2 years of hiding his prize money from a competition and 4 months of not eating lunch at school to have the money to pay for it. When he finally got enough money to learn, he gingerly attended his sessions and attentively listens to his teacher for 4 hours. And by the end of the year, he learned to play countless concertos that put his teacher in awe. 
 
"Sunggyu-ah .. You need to learn music when you grow up. You're really good at it." His teacher told him once while he skillfully plays pour le piano-Toccata in his teacher's piano. But when his teacher suddenly brings up the topic of studying music, his fingers trail off and eventually stop playing.
 
"Dad says its a stupid course to take." He stated. "He said i need to study something practical like business or law. But i'm not good at those and i don't like it too." He reasoned while he press the 'la' key multiple times. 
 
"We aren't rich so i cant afford to do impractical choices." Sunggyu hangs his head down while he traces the ivory white and ebony black keys on the keyboard and smiling to himself when he finds it ridiculously beautiful. "But i want to." He suddenly said. "I really want to so so bad."
 
"They say .. " his teacher suddenly cuts in "There is always a way to something we really want. And that all we need to do is not to give up and keep searching for that certain path that will lead us to happiness." His teacher said while she caresses sunggyu's hair. "So if you really want to study music then you go find a way to do it." 
 
Years later when the day came when sunggyu finally graduated high-school, he had a fight with his parents over something he really wanted. 
 
"But dad! I really want to! Its not true that theres no future in music! There is! And i've seen it!" Sunggyu loudly yells at his father that echoed in the entire neighborhood. 
 
"Sunggyu!! Stop being stupid and do as you're told! You will study business and thats it!!" His father shot back while glaring at his determined son. 
 
"No!! Thats not it!! I don't want that life!! I don't want to sit on a desk the whole day just to write on silly papers that doesn't even make sense!! I want music dad .. I really want it. Ever since i was a kid i've always wanted it." 
 
His dad stomps his feet as he approach sunggyu and slapped the boy as hard as he could twice. "You will do as i say! You will not do that ard of a dream of yours and do what i say! You will study business and thats it!" 
 
Sunggyu slightly whimpers at the pain of his dad's hard slap but clutches his hands tight until it turned white. 
 
"I will never do what you say!!" He yelled back. 
 
"What did you say? Huh? You son of a !" 
 
"I'll go to seoul and study music!! When i go back, you'll see! You'll see that studying music isn't a waste of time after all!!" 
 
Sunggyu stomps back to his room and later on came down with duffle bags in his hands. Still wearing the rented toga he wore earlier at the graduation.
 
He had a quick glance at his father who's eying him such anger and disappointment. He turned his head and quickly went to the main door. 
 
"And where do you think you're going?!" His father yelled. 
 
"Seoul." He simply answered without even bothering to look behind him to see his father's raged face. 
 
"If you walk out of that door, you're not my son anymore!!" 
 
Sunggyu flinched at that statement. He never thought that fighting for what he wanted would take him this far. Tears uncontrollably stream down his face as he gather his head together to think. 
 
Because even if he loves music, he still loves his parents too. 
 
"Yeah, thats it you coward!!" His dad yelled at him which brought him back to his senses. "I knew you cant leave! you're a coward!!" 
 
Sunggyu slowly turned around to see his dad flushed in anger. His mother saw him so broken that it tore her heart apart. She was about to rush to his crying son when she was suddenly stopped by her own husband. 
 
"S-sunggyu-ah .. Stop this .. Please .. Please stay with us." She said. 
 
"And he said he wanted to study that god-forsaken piece of ! You cant even decide for yourself you coward!!" 
 
"But dad .. " sunggyu muttered as tears stream down his face. "How come you never asked me what i wanted? How come its always you who decides who should do what?" Sunggyu sniffs and wipes his tears with his sleeves. "I know that we're not well off. That i shouldn't be impractical but still .. Dad .. I just want to do what will make me happy .. Isn't that the most practical thing to do?" 
 
The two stand speechless with what their son just said. 
 
"Isn't being happy practical?" Sunggyu added as he messily sobs in-front of his parents. "You were never there for me at all when i was just a wimpy kid who knew and wanted nothing .. I needed a parent then and you were no-where .. I was never a hard child for you. I always did what you asked me to do. But now that i want to chase my dream and i need to disobey you just a little bit .. Wont you still love me? Is me being a happy such a big deal?" 
 
Sunggyu took off his toga while he sobs and hiccups. He placed it in the sofa near the door and messily wipes his tears off.  
 
"Dad .. Can you be there for me now? Just this once .. Can you?" 
 
The night sky cried along with sunggyu as he walks to the train station that will lead him towards his dream of beautiful symphony and addicting rhythm. Where it would only be him and a black grand piano jamming the whole day away. Sunggyu carries the duffle bags that held all of his belongings. And even if the cold rain lashes out his skin, sunggyu patiently waits for the train to come as he trembles in the cold. But the train isnt the only thing he was waiting for. He was also waiting for his parents to come and beg him to come home. 
 
The train came but not his parents. 
 
Sunggyu bitterly boards the train and blankly stares at the window beside him as tears unconsciously stream down his face.   
 
"No, i wont be there .. I don't love you that much." That was the most painful answer sunggyu has ever heard in his entire life. 
 
--------------------
 
"Hyung~!!" Sungjong cooed at his brother who's still busy despite all the efforts he did to stop the paper work from piling up. Its been weeks, and woohyun isnt done with his work yet. He sighed "What now jong? Didn't i tell you to leave me alone? I'm busy!"
 
"But hyungie~!!! I found someone you might like!!" Sungjong said with a huge grin plastered across his face. He walked over to woohyun's rose wood table and leaned on it. "Aren't you a little bit interested?" 
 
"Aissh, i don't care!! Stop bothering me!!" Woohyun said as he slapped sungjong's arms away from his 'precious' table. 
 
"But hyung .. You'd really look good together!!" Sungjong then reached out for his phone in his pocket and showed woohyun the picture of the man that he said will fit him. However, woohyun didnt even bother to take a quick look. 'That person's going to be boring again.' Woohyun thought. 
 
Woohyun then got irritated because sungjong just wont take the damn phone off of his face"I don't ing care!!!" He yelled. "Go!! Don't show that retarded face of yours here ever again!" 
 
Sungjong huffed and left while stomping his feet on the floor. 'Thats just rude!' He yelled at himself. 
 
But even if his brother protests, he's still going to arrange the two to meet up. He really thinks that this one's a keeper unlike the last one who surprisingly lasted for 2 weeks. Sungjong was surprised then that someone lasted that long. But when he checked, it was because that man's handsome and because he offered woohyun which to which his brother gladly accepted. Sungjong shivered at the thought of him seeing his brother and that man doing it in his office. 
 
"Hyung .. I swear .. You'd thank me one day." He muttered with a smirk.
 
-------------------------
 
Sunggyu woke up from a memory that became his nightmare. He huffs and puffs as he stares at the ceiling. Trying to calm himself down.
 
'Its just a dream .. ' He tells himself. 'They weren't here then, and they wont be here now.' 
 
He then sat and up and went to the bathroom to wash his face. He stares at the mirror in-front of him and found someone pale-looking with bloodshot eyes. "I'm fine." He told himself. "I always have been, and always will be." 
 
Sunggyu then carefully chose his clothes and got dressed. 
He's decided, he wont sulk around all day. 
He's gonna pick up his feet just like what he did before and find 3 replacement jobs. 
 
He grabbed his keys, wallet and documents and headed out of his apartment. 
 
"I don't love you that much." He muttered. 
 
---------------------
 
Sunggyu walks in the streets of seoul while reading his own profolio. He still hasn't had any luck at finding a job that would at least accept him. He forced himself to softly smile at employers but they didn't even try to hear him out. He went to numerous establishments but they all seem weary of his presence there so they ask him to find job elsewhere. 
 
'Do i really look that bad?' He thought to himself. 'I tried to be as polite as i possibly could .. But they still wont accept me.' 
 
Sunggyu aimlessly walks around seoul with the worry of being kicked out of his school still hovering above his head until something shiny caught his attention. Its gold and is shaped like an angel's wing. 
 
He picked it up and realized that what he had in his hands is solid gold. 
 
"I guess i should return it .. " He muttered to himself. 
 
Sunggyu then headed out his way to the police station to return the gold brooch. 
 
'Its so pretty .. How come people just let pretty things get lost?'
 
-------------------------
 
Sunggyu runs in the quiet halls of his school with his 3 year old bag slung across his shoulders. He is late. Just like all the time. He opened the door to his classroom and all eyes fell on him. 
 
"Ah .. Mr. Kim .. I see you decided to show up tonight." His professor said. 
 
"S-sorry i'm late .." He said.
 
"Please, take a seat." 
 
Sunggyu walks over his usual chair thats lies far away from everyone. 
As he walk, he hears murmurs and mocking jeers from his fellow classmates. "He looks weird no?" He heard one of his classmates say. He just turned away and proceeded to his chair. 
 
He slump down on his chair while he writes what the professor is currently lecturing. Even though he put quite a distance from himself and everyone, he still hears the insults they throw at him. Soon, a piece of triangle shaped paper landed on his table. He looked around to see where it came from but found that his classmates were all focused on the lecture now. He opened the paper to see whats inside and his eyes widen in shock with what he saw.
 
"Stupid gyu~"
 
"Loser gyu~"
 
" gyu~? Bahaha i don't know XD"
 
"Retard gyu~ yeah, that one sounds great on him." 
 
"Oh yeah! Did you guys know that that bastard's poor as ?"
 
"What? No way!!"
 
"Yeah he is! His dad's just a low life farmer and from what i heard, they left him because he wants to study. Now we know where he got his stupidity." 
 
"LOL what on earth is a rat doing here anyway? Yuck!!" 
 
"A poor er like him isn't suppose to be here!! This is a place for rich people!!" 
 
"He's never been to a relationship at all too!! Bahah!! No one ever comes to him!! People avoid him!!" 
 
"And whats more .. Those eyes of his? I want to ing take them out. It looks so .. Disgusting!! Like .. Yuck! Gross!! How can such an ugly being exist in this world? My gawd i don't want to see him!!" 
 
"He's so disgusting .. I hate him."
 
Sunggyu tries to bite back his tears. His hands slightly trembles and so he clenches it along with the paper that held all the insults. 
 
'I never really wished to be like this.' He thought to himself. 
 
'Please .. Please stop judging me.' 
 
----------------------- 
 
"Sunggyu .. Yeah i know him. He's my friend." 
 
"Great~ can you .. Tell me where he is?" He asked while he adjusts his position on the bar stool. 
 
"And why should i do that?"
 
"I just want to set him up with my brother."
 
"And your brother is---?" 
 
"Oh .. Its Nam .. Nam Woohyun." 
 
"! Say what?!! You're brother's Nam?!! he--" 
 
Sungjong then clamps the mouth of the noisy chodding. "Shush .. No one should hear." The chodding just nodded. 
 
"So .. Where is he?"
 
"He's probably at that rich kid's university right now .."  
 
"Oh .. So he's an elite too?" 
 
"No .. He's just mid-class. He's not so poor that he cant eat anymore but isn't rich enough either to pay for himself at that rich kid's university." 
 
"Ahh .. I see .."
 
"So you lost interest in him now because he isn't rich like your brother? Well,  just so you know .. Sunggyu's a big fan of that Nam-."
 
"Hey!"
 
"Oh .. S-sorry .. Well, anyway, he's a big fan. And he isn't your typical 'i will love hyunnie-oppa' type of horse , he's not as crazed. He just adores the guy. He doesn't go screaming out his name either on public places. He says he sees him everywhere he go but he doesn't throw himself at the guy, he just watches from afar. He said .. 'Me and him are far too diffrent.' .. Sounds sad actually. He just watches from afar. He often says 'someone rich like him wont notice me .. "
 
Sungjong narrowed his eyes at the person in-front of him. 
"You sure you're just friends? You seem to .. know a lot .. " 
 
Sungyeol sighed. "Yeah .. Were just friends." 
 
---------------------
 
Sunggyu fixes his things at his locker. School's finally over for the night and he's now heading out to work at the bar with sungyeol. He looks around him to find people carrying violins, guitars, cellos, violas and drum sticks. 
 
He sighed because he feels left out. After all, he is the only piano major in this elite school. When he came here he thought he'd find people who likes playing pianos just like him. But instead, he found people playing violins and guitars more. He shut his locker. Preparing himself to go home when he suddenly passed by an empty practice room. 
 
He peeked his head inside and saw a classic black piano. 
He gulps down at the sight of the elegant and exquisite beauty of the piano. He smiled, and happily entered the sound-proof room. 
 
He sat at the mahogany chair and faced the slick ivory keys of the piano. 
"You're still beautiful just like the last time i saw you." He said.
He then pressed the keys as gentle as he could and smiled once it emmited such a beautiful sound. He continued doing so until he started playing the song he made once for class that received a huge praise from the teacher. 
It really was praisable because it contained the unspoken feelings he has for Nam Woohyun. 
 
"I've always loved you from afar. And even if i try i know i cant do anything."
 
"We have always been apart but that never stopped me." 
 
"Stopped me, from loving you." 
 
Sunggyu smiles with his eyes closed as he continue to play the song and pour his heart out. And by the time he was done, he was greeted by a man with soft-pink hair watching him with a smile with his arms crossed. The man walked towards the piano and laid his hands on them. 
 
"i didn't know you play." He said as he stare sunggyu down but not in a judgmental way unlike how other people do. 
 
"I've n-never r-really played in front of p-people before." Sunggyu embarrassingly said. The man just smiled and leaned closer to sunggyu. The younger leaned backwards but almost fell. The older gladly caught him but put their faces with a short distance. Sunggyu feels his cheeks get a bit hot from the bold move this mysterious man pulled off. 
 
"Its nice to finally meet you .. Kim Sunggyu."
 
------------------------
Hyunnie and sunggyu might meet in the next chappie
I love you my readers
Please show author-nim your love~~
Join Camaraderie rp  :DDD I'm there~~ 
 
Upvote upvote 
Comment comment comment
Subscribe subscribe