The Event

The Fan Signing

I pulled into the parking lot of the Lotte mega mall near Gimpo airport. I took off my helmet and strapped it to my bike.  I ped my jacket and stuffed it in a storage compartment. It was warm for a fall day.  I readjusted my pony tail so it rested higher on my head.  I walked towards the mall and entered through the main entrance.  I wondered where I was supposed to be.  I thought maybe the ticket would let me know.  I dug into my messenger bag for the ticket and pulled it out.  I tried to read where the event was happening when someone pushed me from behind.  I stumbled a bit but I was able to keep my balance.  I turned around to see who it was that had run into me.  I was met by the stares of a gaggle of schoolgirls still in their school clothes glaring at me with judging eyes.  I straightened up and put on my meanest glare and my signature smirk.  My eyes are a light brown with a black ring around the iris.  It's a tad unsettling to stare into my eyes. Especially when I am going for mean and nasty.  These cutesy schoolgirls didn't know who they were messing with.  The girls shifted away from me and hurriedly scrambled to hide behind their peers.  I huffed a laughed and looked down at the ticket in my hand.  That's when I noticed that one of the cutesy schoolgirls had a ticket just like mine sticking out of her purse.  Shrugging to myself, I put away the ticket and started to follow them.  This probably freaked them out, but I just wanted to get this over with.

I followed them into the Galleria department store.  We took the escalator to a an area that looked like a large conference room.  There was a security detail at the door as well as a line of fangirls that wound out into the store.  I walked to the back of the line and stood behind a young girl and what looked like her mother.  I tapped the older womn on the shoulder.  "Ma'am, is this the line for the EXO event?" I asked her.

She and her daughter stared at my hair and my clothes. I get this a lot when I go out in daylight. Is it any wonder I am a night person?  The woman nodded slowly and turned back around. I smiled at the daughter who was still staring at me. The mother tugged on the girl's arm and reprimanded  her silently.  I sighed and dug into my messenger bag for my book.  My eldest brother who was studying in America to become an engineer had sent me a novel called The Goldfinch.  I was well into the novel and could hardly wait to see how it turned out.  When the line started moving I realized that I was the last person in line.  I was a bit confused. I thought this was a fansigning and, although I was not exactly early, I wasn't that late either.  I looked at the line ahead of me that was moving steadily toward the doors. There could not have been more than 200 people in the line.  I tapped the mother's rm in front of me again,  "Why are there so few people here?" I asked her. "I thought this was a fansign event?"

"Oh this is a special event for a few fans.  There is a question and answer session before the fansign." she explained. She then turned around and proceeded to ignore me again.  The line kept moving until I was finally at the door.  The security guy taking the ticket and checking my I.D. seemed incredulous that I was here at this event.  I just gave him a bland stare and smirk as I shifted my weight from one foot to the other under his scrutiny.  He finally shrugged and ushered me in.  There was a table just inside the door with pieces of paper and pens.  We were supposed to write down a question we wanted to ask EXO with our name on it and place it in the box on the table.  They would probably screen these before they gave them to the idols so I wrote down the raunchiest question I could think of so I would defintely not be called on during the question and answer session. I signed my name with a flourish and folded the paper in half and drew a funny face on the outside of it.  I put it in the box and looked around for a place to sit and wait for this little piece of farce to play out.

I watched as the coordinator took the question box and went directly to the stage area at the front of the room.  I became slightly uncomfortable when I realized they weren't going to be reading and screening the questions.  I reasoned with myself that my question was just one out of 200. There wasn't a very good chance they would pick mine.  The event started with their dubstep intro. and segued into a game with the fans that resulted in fanservice and some EXO merch. It was finally time for the question and answer session and all twelve of them sat down while the leader Suho had the question box in front of him.  I slumped down in my seat and hid behind my book.  I kept an eye on the pieces of paper he pulled out of the box in his lap, praying to whatever gods were listening that he wouldn't pull mine out.  The gods must have been in a mocking mood when I saw my telltale funny face being pulled out of the box.  The leader unfolded the paper and read the contents.  His eyebrows flew up into his hairline and his eyes got really wide.  The shocked expression on his face got the attention of s and they were scrambling with each other to read what was on the paper.  They all had shocked expressions and a tall one with dark hair was laughing hysterically. I slumped further down into my seat and tried to get my book to completely hide my blushing face.  Another member who was blonde and tall held up the piece of paper and waved it around his head. "We can't read this particular question out loud since this is an under 19 event, but will the person who wrote this please stand up?" he asked the crowd. He then called out my name.  I winced and tried to crawl under the seat in front of me.  The girl next to me saw me slinking away and, realizing I was the one who wrote the question, grabbed my arm and pulled me up next to her.  "She's right here!" she shouted triumphantly.

I glared at the girl balefully until she dropped my arm and sat back down.  I pulled on the hem of my sweater and cleared my throat.  I knew the tips of my ears were red with embarrassment.  But I raised my chin and stared them down, a faint smirk on my lips.  The members were all smiles as the small one with big eyes, D.O. said "We will give you our answer when you come up for the fansign.  It's a bit risque for our audience here." He winked and the other members laughed.  I think my whole face turned red at that point.  But I just nodded and hurriedly sat back down as they went on to the next question.  I buried my face in my book until the girl next to me nudged me with her elbow. "What was is that you asked them?" she hissed, still staring at her idols.

I tucked a stray lock of hair behind my ear and grinned knowingly.  "If you have to ask sugar.."