Pilot - Midas Joong

To the Emperor!

*Flashback*

There you were standing, watching those strange men, put red paper strips on all your parents things. The television, the radio, anything and everything.

“You can’t do this!” Your father pleated, trying to stop the men.
“What’s going on, honey?” Your mother cried out.

Your parents ran around the living room, trying to stop those strange men with all their might, pleading, crying out for help. You were just standing there quietly, in shock, yet not understanding the whole situation clearly.

*My first lesson was that even my almighty father feared something… Something called the power of authority.*

One of the men pushed your father out of his way. You slowly made your way towards that man. You stood right beside him, studying his every move, as he put one of the red slips on the clock.

The clock said 8:29AM – but suddenly the clock moved.

10 years later.

You came running down your school grass field, out on the parking lot, you kept running and running, over the bridge and further. You ran through the entrance to the hospital.

*It was when you were 18 years old.*

You had entered the big patient room, there were several areas closed only by some curtains, you pulled several of the curtains to the side, while searching for something, for someone.

Until, you finally stopped. You froze, looked down on the lifeless body, lying on the hospital bed, with an oxygen mask, covering the mouth and nose.  It was your mother, shocked you looked over at your father, who stood beside the doctor, another doctor and a nurse stood behind them, taking notes.

“She passed away” the doctor said and bended down, removing the oxygen mask, from your lifeless mother. Your father broke down on his knees, crying out loud.

*Mom died from a summer cold, which they said even dogs don’t catch.
She foolishly let the illness get worse because we were poor.*

The doctors covered your mother with a blanket, and took her away.

----

You were sitting at the mortuary together with your father. Starring at the picture as the incense sticks burned out.

*Only a few flies visited her in the mortuary.
I learned my second lesson about life in that empty mortuary.*

A fly flew over to your face, your eyes spotted it, but it soon left the room, only to enter the room next to you.

In the room next to you, sat a boy, all alone, all silenced, watching a picture of a man on the shelf.

*Poverty is nothing to be ashamed of, inconvenient, or a sin.*

The fly flew several times around the lonesome boys’ face, until it finally sat still on his check. Only to be chased away by his hand.

----

You had gone up to the rooftop of the mortuary, and ran over the dried grass and to the fence.

*I made up my mind then…
I will become a person of power and money. I will put this sad life to a stop!*

You looked out on the view of the city, and the many tall buildings.
“Mom!” You yelled out in the open, as the tears fell down your cheeks.
“Mom!” You kept yelling.

On the floor below you, the young boy from the room next to yours, were standing, he heard you cry out for your mother, and looked up at you, with an annoyed expression, Hoping you’d stop your bothering whining soon.

*But there are ambushes in life… I didn’t realize that then.*

Yet he couldn’t stop watching you, maybe he wasn’t that bothered about it, but somehow felt your heart.
“Mom…” you cried out one last time

*End of flashback*

----

A huge with several motorcycles, limousines and other expensive cars came driving down the bright roads of Seoul.

Inside a huge hall with beautiful decorated tables, ice statues, wine glasses were clinging; people were talking and enjoying themselves. There were a lot of people, from all around the world. Women were dressed in beautiful, colorful and expensive dressed, men in suits, ties and butterflies. Everything was thought out, even all the way down to the little handkerchief in their pockets.

People were chit-chatting, and laughter was heard throughout the hall.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the new generation of leaders…” A man and a lady said, the man speaking in Korean, and the lady speaking in English.
“… in the global business are gathering in Seoul.” They continued.

Outside the huge pulled up to a red carpet. Several reporters and paparazzies stood next to the red carpet, waiting to get the best pictures and the best scoop.
There were also several ladies standing on the red carpet, all dressed in matching beautiful red dresses, waiting to all the guests inside one by one.

One by one, men and woman came out of the car, smiled and waved, while walking down the red carpet and inside, where everything was happening.

Last but not least the guest of honor, the almighty Midas Joong, arrived at the red carpet, one of the ladies lend him her hand, and helped him out of the car and led him inside. But he was different from the others, no smiles, no waves. He kept his poker face all the way in, elegant and arrogant.

----

“You have a man…” a strange man in hooded cape said, while looking into his red glass ball.
“A man?” you asked curiously, while you looked at the strange man in front of you.
“A big change is ahead of you.” He continued.
“An amazing change!” he said while looked into your eyes. Then he started chanting a lot of un-understandable things.

You looked intensely at him, while he was chanting; his expression became stiffer and stiffer, until he finally stopped chanting. He stared into his big glass ball, as if he saw something in it, something surprising, or something amazing.

“It’s red everywhere.” He suddenly breaks out of his silence. You look at him questioning his words.

----

“Ladies and gentlemen, now we will begin the 2014 Global Young Businessmen Alliance Award Ceremony.” The two presenters spoke again. The crowd clapped in joy while watching the presenters on the stage speaking to them.

“Average age of 45. These are global leaders…” they continued their announcement.
“Soon we will have a winner of the Grand GYBA of 2014.”

----

“A new world! A new status!” the foreseer said, still looking into his glass ball.
“A new status?” you asked.

Again he started chanting, this time more intensely than the last time. He closed his eyes, chanting and chanting some more. He suddenly stopped and looked deeply into your eyes.

While looking down into his glass ball again, he spoke “The day a red flag is waving in the wind…”
He looked up at you again “Your life will change!” he ensured you.

----

“Kim JaeJoong!” The presenters announced. The crowd rose and clapped excitingly. JaeJoong rose from his seat, and shock a few hands, gave out a few smiles.

“The man who turned a failing resort into today’s successful Joseon Empire resort in 7 years.” They announced to the crowd, while JaeJoong made his way up to the stage to receive his award.

“In his college years, he invested his seed money, $10.000 in stocks… and made $1 million.”
JaeJoong had gone up the stage and shock the presenters hands, the lady handed him the award, while the man finished his speech.
 

“His successful investments in resorts, hotels, construction, finance and entertainment… are miracles of Midas.” The presenter finished off.

JaeJoong stood in front of the podium to give his speech as an appreciation of the award.
He looked out at crowd and smiled, while holding the award in one hand and a bucket in the other arm.

He looked down at the award and out at the crowd again.
“Some say I am Midas Joong” He spoke in perfect English.

“Everything that I touch turns into gold. Which means every business I’ve started, becomes a great success and victory… which is a lie. It’s not true.” He said and made a small grin.

“Most of the business I started became garbage. But because of that garbage, and failure of my business brought me here tonight, 2014 GYBA World and had me receive this wonderful award.” He said and raised the award slightly in the air while smiling.

“Thank you so much, ladies and gentlemen. I will try to become a real Midas Joong after tonight. Thank you” he finished his speech and the crowd applauded.

While the crowd kept clapping JaeJoong took yet another look at the award, and his smiling expression turned into a suspicious expression.

“This is real gold too.” He said and smiled yet again, only to turn his head to look at the presenters with his suspicious expression.

Moving a bit away from the microphone, “Is this pure gold?” he asked the Korean presenter, whom at first didn’t notice anything only starring down his cue cards smiling, the English presenter puffed slightly to him, making him notice JaeJoong’s attempt to get in contact with him, and looked over at him, with an expression asking JaeJoong to repeat his question.

“I wonder if it’s gold-plated…” JaeJoong said while studying the golden award.

The Korean presenter looked over to the staff making some hand signs then turning back to JaeJoong, “It’s pure gold.” He ensured JaeJoong with a smile.

JaeJoong grinned and looked back out at the crowd.
“Ladies and gentlemen, he says this trophy is pure gold. Can you believe it?” Ha asked in a sarcastic way. The crowd was silent but their expressions looked curious.

JaeJoong laughed, but then he turned slightly serious.
“I will try to find out myself.” He said, and then turned back to the golden award, suddenly he bites into the corner of it, leaving the presenters and crowd in shock.

----

A young reporter sitting next to JaeJoong in her small black seducing dress, she’s studying the golden award, and carefully brushing her thumb over the bite marks on the corner of the award.
“Ooh” she mumbles as she keeps turning and twisting it, using it as a mirror to fix her hair.

JaeJoong sits next to her starring at the puff they are sitting on.

“Lighting! We will start if you’re ready.” the cameraman says.
The reporter nods agreeing, while placing the award on the puff.
“Stand by… Go!” the producer cues for the interview to begin.

The reporter begins her interview, while JaeJoong is till starring at the puff, more intensely than before.
“You made an interesting comment at the ceremony. Did you really not believe it?” The reporter asked.
He looked up at her, “My philosophy of life, No. 1…” he says with a smirk, but then pauses and looks back down at the puff, the reporter follows his eyes down on the puff with curiosity.

“Do not trust what people say” he then continues. She looks back up at him, as if she was truly interested in what he had to say, faking one of those famous TV smiles.
“No. 2, Find out yourself if you doubt.” He points at the award “Yourself!” he finishes off.

“Ooh! What did you think after you found out yourself?” she asked brightly with curiosity in her voice.

“My philosophy of life, No. 3! Money is the only thing you can trust. Because money doesn’t lie.” He proceeded to answer her question.

JaeJoong takes the award up and continues “I thought it was good to win this award. Why? Because gold is money!” he states and smirks.

The reporter makes a little fake giggle and looks at him.

“Let’s take a break.” JaeJoong says and places the award back on the puff. The reporter takes the award and places it on the other side of her, as she moves closer to JaeJoong.

“You are so witty. You are so fun to listen to!” she says in a flirting manner. Slightly brushing her hand down his arm.
“Could you…” JaeJoong mumbles while making small circles with his finger, trying to get her to move away, he’s eyes had captured something he absolutely had to take a look at. Yet the reporter smiles and takes it as a sign to move even closer, so close their feet’s meet.
“Like this?” she asks brightly.
“That’s not what I meant…” he replies, with his hand, gesturing her to get up from the seat.
Again she misunderstands his intention, and seducingly crosses her legs, lifting her up a bit, and smiles at him, “This?” she innocently asks, making JaeJoong more and more annoyed.

With his hand he again gestures her to get up from the seat, the smirk has disappeared and his expression has turned slightly annoyed. Yet the reporter seems dumber than a light bulb, and winks at him instead. JaeJoong looks away, takes in a deep breath and breaths out again, while tapping his index finger on the puff. Secretary Bang HyunBum and Chief Ha MinJoo looks at each other, with fear in their eyes, they seem to have a feeling of where this is going.

JaeJoong puts his focus back on the puff. Suddenly he places his hand on the reporter’s , the reporter is shocked, as well is everyone else.

“Omo! President, a lot of people are watching here…” she surprisingly says, yet somehow with some sort of joy in her voice. Only to get pushed down from the puff, as she lets out a small scream.

JaeJoong stares intensely at the puff, and suddenly he grabs a thread sticking up from one of the seams, he pulls it all the way up, and stares at it, with a serious expression. Again he starts tapping his finger on the puff, not paying attention the reporter he has just pushed down.

HyunBum looked even more scared now, and MinJoo looked worried. While JaeJoong studies the thread in his hand, HyunBum turns away, hiding a bit behind MinJoo, who’s trying hard to keep cool.

JaeJoong quickly gets up from his seats, and turns his eyes to the two struggling people.
“Bang HyunBum!” He yells, angrily, shocked HyunBum looks over at JaeJoong.

“Yes, President!” he replies, frightened and runs over to JaeJoong.

“You are getting paid with my money for doing your job like this?” JaeJoong asks, with anger in his voice, moving closer towards HyunBum.
“If I see torn bed sheets. sofa or pillows once again…” he continues holding up the thread in his hand.
“You will all be fired!” JaeJoong turns away to leave.

“President, you interview…!” HyunBum stutters, JaeJoong looks back at the frightened people.

“The interview is over!” he says and leaves the room. MinJoo takes a deep breath, and follows him out to the hallway.

“President, that reporter…” she stutters, as he turns around and looks at her, “is screaming that you ually harassed her.”

“ually harassed?” JaeJoong asks, not even worried a bit,

“It looks like she’s going to talk to the media. So, I wonder…” she takes yet another deep breathe “A handbag or shoes? Or… cash?” she asks.

He just looks at her, with his usual serious expression.
“You are wasteful!”

“Pardon?”

“What? A handbag? Shoes? You’re being too generous with my money!” he states.

“But a scandal is the worst! It’s Dangerous!” she ensures him.

JaeJoong looks down, slightly nodding his head and sights, then looks back up at MinJoo.
“Go tell that woman…” he says while raising his hand, “What my hand touched was not a human’s , but a gigantic mass of silicon.”

“Tell her I will let the whole world know if she acts up!” He says with a smirk, and the he leaves, walking down the long hallway, leaving MinJoo behind to sort things out, yet again.

*Money makes power.
Power makes a tyrant.
And what controls that tyrant is…
a woman.*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:
End of first chap :) I hope you like it <3
I will try my best to update once or twice a week ~

Please subscribe and comments are loved :D


Until next time ~ Annyeoung ^^