Late

The Amused and the Baffled

Dun Dun Dun…Dun Dun Da Dun Dun Dun….

Dun Dun Dun…Dun Dun Da Dun Dun Dun….

“Awwwhhhhhhhmmmm”. Already time to wake up ugh. You get out of bed and walk towards your desk where your phone alarm is still ringing annoyingly. The time is 8:00 AM as you pull yourself towards the bathroom. It’s going to be another long day. You quickly clean yourself up, brush your teeth and walk towards your apartment’s kitchen to pour a bowl of cereal.

No matter how much of a rush you were in, you had to eat breakfast before you headed out the door. Coffee and tea just doesn’t cut it. And don’t even bring up oatmeal. After disrupting lecture with your stomach’s loud rumbling digestion sound and getting a weird look from the professor, you swore that you would never touch that stuff ever again in the morning.

After you finished up your breakfast you walked to the bathroom again to brush your teeth. Looking at yourself in the mirror you begin to think about your agenda for the day. Have to meet up with the academic counselor, take lunch before I leave for class… You pause for a moment caught up in your thoughts. You stand there before your hand begins to stiffen slightly from realization. You quickly run towards the calendar pinned on the wall behind your desk and scan for the current day of the week. Shoot its Tuesday today! I have an 9:00 AM class!!??!!

Normally people would think that waking up an hour before class would be a reasonable amount of time to get ready and head out…reasonable for people who lived close to your campus. Unfortunately you were stuck in the farthest apartment complex and had to take a 15-minute ride on the bus just to get to campus, not to mention the extra 10-minute walk to class, which was on the other side of campus. You quickly look at your clock and see that the time reads 8:35 AM. Without a second thought you run back to the bathroom and race through your brushing.

The next few minutes you’re running back and forth, putting on your clothes, brushing your hair and grabbing your lunch pail from the fridge. Five minutes later you are out the door, waiting at the bus stop for the campus shuttle to come. While constantly checking the time on your phone, you hear the bus nearby and nearly choke a sigh of relief. You look up expecting the bus to be there but instead see it packed completely and passing your stop without a second glance. Shoot this is what happens when I don’t walk to the second bus stop. Your apartment complex had three bus stops and when people were running late, like you were at this moment, the later busses tended to be packed. As a result the bus would many times ignore the third bus stop, an unfortunate incident that happened to you too many times to forget about it today of all days.

You quickly grab your backpack in hand and run back to the second bus stop. Luckily you had made it just in time before it became too full again. You step inside panting due to the quick sprint, earning a few glances from the other students inside the bus. Regardless you made it with 10 minutes to spare. As soon as the bus dropped you off at campus, you ran in the direction of your class without a single thought. If anyone saw you they would have thought you had done this before, but frankly this was the first time you had ever really gotten this late for a class. After two years of uni you think someone would know how to manage their time wisely right? *Puff puff* Almost there, just have to make it up these stairs and the lecture hall will be on the right. You got this!

You run up the stairs and the lecture hall enters your line of sight. However instead of continuing to run towards the lecture hall you hit a wall like object and find yourself knocked backwards to the ground. Dazed for a moment from the sudden impact you regain your thoughts and look around to see the cause for your fall. Suddenly your eyes settle on a blond haired guy moving to get up from the ground a few steps away from you. As he gets up, he brushes off his black blazer before returning your stare. In that moment you forgot that you were late to class and instead focused on the stranger in front you. The voice in your head fortunately reminds you of your class and you get up quickly from the ground. The guy is still looking at you, now with an amused expression on his face. Wondering what’s so funny, you quickly mumble an apology before running inside the lecture hall.

Once inside you hear students chattering away and the teacher setting up their presentation. You grab a seat and look down at your watch. 9:01 AM. Phew. The teacher taps the microphone to get everyone’s attention and begins the lecture. Fifteen minutes in however your heart was still pounding even though you had already caught your breath….

 

Please comment on what you think of the story so far. I'm not completely satisfied with the layout yet and might just make it more monologue based then narrative. I'll make changes as i continue the story. Thank you for reading :)

 

 

Here is nerdy Ren for you all <3