The Light in the Darkness

⊰Broken Wings⊱

(Hanyoung’s POV)

You can say it however you want, but I honestly, truly tried my best to stay by his side.  He was the light at the far end of the tunnel.  To me, he was my key to happiness.  Even when I felt like trash, worthless, when I felt like nothing… he would reach over with a bright smile on his face… he would grab a hold of me… it was hard for me to let that go. 

I told myself to do it for him, for the man who brought happiness to my life.  I told myself to let that man go, so he can soar through the skies… so he can be… free.

 

I held back my emotions as I stiffened my face.  Politely, I placed my hands in front of me and bowed out of respect.  “Thank you for the sponsor.”

Mr. Kang, oblivious to the tense situation, flipped through the papers in his hands.  “Shall we go meet the last person?”

Hyunwoo seemed to have snapped back into reality as he looked over to Mr. Kang and nodded hesitantly.  I could hear him sigh as he walked by me.

As soon as I heard the door close, the tightness in my chest came loose… and a tear dropped from my eyes.   

---

-flashback-

“Hello, my name is Kim Hanyoung.” I bowed with a smile on my face.

The older man who sat in front of me sighed.  He looked away as he motioned to the seat across the table. “Sit.” He said quietly.

I nodded as I did as I was told.

“Ah,” I placed the bag of peaches on the table, “I heard you love peaches so on the way I-”

“No need for that.”  He cut me off.

I left the bag on the table and placed both my hands on my lap.  I felt my insides twisting and turning.

The older man sighed again.  And after a few moments, he began, “I don’t want you to waste your time and be disappointed at the end.  Aggasshi, you seem like a smart and bright young woman so you should understand when I tell you politely.”  He paused and then he began again, “My son, Hyunwoo, please let him go.  Because only I know, it’s no big deal, but when his mother finds out, she won’t let you go easily.  Hyunwoo is different from other men because his marriage reflects on the growth of our company.”

I looked at the table as my heart beat rapidly.

“Of course, if you need anything else, I can help you.  If you want to study abroad I will sponsor you.”

I took a breath.  “I’m sorry, but I-”

“No need to answer back.  I’m sorry that my immature son bothered you all this time.”  With that CEO Kim stood up and left.

Speechless, I just continued to look at the wrinkled plastic bag that contained the expensive, sweet peaches.

-end of flashback-

---

With a slight smile, I bowed to the nurses.  I thanked them for my time there as I signed myself out and left the hospital.

Seems like it’s becoming a habit.  Sitting down, waiting at the bus stop as I watch others go about with their everyday life.  I was the only one stuck in time. 

The bus that I usually take home came…and then it left.  Half an hour later another bus was approaching, a bus going somewhere I had no idea where.  With a heavy heart, I stood up and waited to get on board the bus.

After sitting in the bus for about an hour, my phone vibrated.  I looked at the caller ID; Dr. Jang.

I ended the call and put my phone on silent.

---

-flashback-

In a hurry, I tried to get on the train at the subway.  I knew I shouldn’t have eaten the food that I left on the counter overnight!  Even after going to the bathroom, my stomach still ached.  A lot of people was trying to get on so there was a lot of shoving. 

It was the day before Chuseok and a lot of students at the universities around the area was trying to get home to family.  I, on the other hand, had a birthday to celebrate with Appa before the day ends.  This is one of the bad things about moving to live on your own.

Right before stepping a foot on the train, I felt a sudden force of pressure against my shoulder pulling me back.  Another person pushed me out of the way!  Automatically, my eyes exerted up, towards the student who pushed me.  He looked back at me, shocked. As the doors of the train closed, he mouthed that he was sorry.  I was still in shock that such a shameless person was looking at me straight in the face right after pushing me.  The train started to slowly move as I glanced at the name tag on his backpack.

Lee Hyun Woo…

-end of flashback-

---

“Excuse me, miss!”

My head turned towards the voice calling out. “Y-yes?”

“This is the last stop, I said.”  The bus driver said.

Looking around, I really had to clue where I had ended up but I stood up and bowed with an apology and got off the bus. 

I sighed and called a taxi.

After reaching the path that led to my house, I paid the taxi driver and started slowly walking up the hill.  It was dark out.  But even from a distance, I could see the small light at the top of the hill where my house was.

I opened my phone and after looking at the few missed calls from Dr. Jang, I called him back.

“Hanyoung-shi!” he sounds worried.

“Dr. Jang-”

“Did you know how worried I was? What happened? Why did you sign yourself out? No, wait, are you okay?  Where are you?  I’ll come to you right now.”  Dr. Jang spoke in a hurry.

“No, don’t.”  I paused for a bit at his silence, then continued. “I’m okay.  And I’m at home.  I’m sorry I worried you.”

After a moment, “Hanyoung-shi, I’m going to come see you to make sure you’re okay.”

“Don’t-”

“Please don’t tell me not to come.  I won’t ask anything.  I just want to see for myself that you’re okay.” Dr. Jang hung up the phone after that.

I looked at my phone, and turned it off.  As I continued to walk, I looked up towards my house… my legs stopped.

On this long dark hill, I was scared of walking home alone from school.  So my father installed a bright lamp in front of our home.  That way when I’m walking up, I can see where my destination is.  That way, I can find my way by following that light.  That way, no matter what, I would know that it would eventually get brighter when I get closer.

Under that bright lamp that guided me all these years… under it… that man was standing there, waiting… he was waiting… Lee Hyunwoo was…