A Broken Wing

⊰Broken Wings⊱

I know what you all were thinking.  That this was going to be a sad ending story.  But life works its miracles for some lucky beings. 

I was content with the people who drove me to my determination. The unspoken words from my father who knew all along. 

Beep... Beep…

The love of my life who tearfully gave in to my pleads.  The doctor who cared for my health so deeply.

Beep... Beep… Beep…

I felt something heavy lift where my eyes are.  As it lifted, a bright blur attacked my pupils.  After opening and closing my eyelids for a few seconds, I notice that my eyelids were the thing that felt heavy.  I must’ve had them closed for a really long time. 

Slowly, the detailed white room became much clearer.  From the side, I saw the heart monitor that was beeping away.  And slumping down next to it, was a very tired, obviously uncomfortable middle aged man.

“…appa.” My voice sounded scratchy as if I hadn’t spoken in years. “…appa…” I tried to put more power in my weakened voice.

His head swayed from side to side as his hand reached his forehead.  He rubbed his forehead and eyes as he sat up. 

“appa,” I called out again.

His eyes darted towards me as soon as he noticed that he heard my voice. “Hanyoung-ah!” He gleefully jumped out of the uncomfortable hospital armchair and leaped towards me.

I tried to smile as he tearfully grabbed my hand with one hand and placing his other hand gently on my forehead. “Good job,” he smiled as a tear drop slid down his cheek, “You did well, my daughter.”

I must be…I must be alive.

“I thought…I heard…my heart…” I tried to speak but it seemed harder than I wanted. 

Appa hushed me and told me that my operation lasted 13 hours.  “During the first half, a new employee accidentally tripped over the wire that clipped on your finger.  It yanked off and the heart monitor went flat.  And it was chaotic for about a minute or so.” He reassured me that the employee who did so sincerely apologized for his mistake.

I nodded. “It’s okay.” I mumbled out, “how long…have I slept?”

He smiled, half a day.  “You woke up earlier than they expected.”

---

(Jang Wooyoung’s POV)

Walking fast paced, I dodged as many people as I could.  Room 234, Kim Jihoon.

I walked around the nurse as she tried to tell me something.  I apologized and carried on my way.

Room 239, Lee Miyoung. 

Room 240, Park Kiho.

I slowed my pace and tried to catch my breath. I looked up at the name on the room. Room 241, Kim Hanyoung.

I took a deep breath, and opened the door as normally as I could.

Hanyoung was lying there, looking out of the window.  The sunlight wrapped around her beautiful features.

“Ahem.” I cleared my throat and walked in casually.  I naturally grabbed her chart and started going through it.  I noticed her look at me.  I looked up at her, and as seriously as I could, I took my mini flashlight out and asked her to follow the light. As I turned it off, I asked her what her name was.  What was the date.  How old she was.  I asked her about the weather outside.  I asked her about how she felt at the moment.  Any uncomfort she was worried about.  She answered everything precisely. 

Finally, I stood straight and with a big smile I said, “Welcome back, Hanyoung-shi.”

She weakly smiled back and mumble out thank you.

“This is just the first step.  Monitoring your health and recovering is the harder part.”

“Mm.” She nodded.

“Any questions?” I asked.

She didn’t say anything at first but then she nodded.

I tilted my head to the side, giving her the sign to ask away.

“Appa...told me..." She slowly and softly managed out, "Why…did you pay…for my operation?”

Just like every person who dearly loves someone.  I wanted to give everything I could for the person I came to love.  My first love. Kim Hanyoung.

Painfully, I watch from the side as she pour her heart out to the man she loved.  She didn’t want to take money from the man she loved.  From just a charity was okay with her, but absolutely not the man she loved.

Painfully, I watched her blame herself for the past year and a half.  I knew that if she survived, a part of her would feel obligated to pay every penny back to that man.  She would live her life worrying about how to make repay everything because she didn't want to be like her mother.

Even if she was never mine to begin with, this was my way of sending my first love off.  This was my conclusion.

“I didn’t.  I just donated some money to a sponsoring program for patients in need.  And your name just happened to be first on the list, and so I signed my signature away.” I smiled slightly as a little white lie slipped out of my lips.

Before she could say another word, the opening door caught my attention.

“Ah.” The vice-president bowed politely towards me. “Doctor, thank you for saving Hanyoung.”

I nodded and looked back at Hanyoung.  I told her everything was looking good as she thanked me weakly and then I started on my way out.

Before completely leaving the room, I turned to give one last look.

I saw Hanyoung smiling while looking up at the vice-president. 

Even though I knew my place, my heart still felt a pinch at the sight of him holding her hand.

Kim Hanyoung, even if it was for a while, even if it happened too quick, I loved you.

I turned away and started back towards the main information table on the floor.  The nurse who previously tried to gain my attention stood up and scrunched her face at me.

“Yah, Dr. Jang! You’re leaving us?”  The other nurses pouted.

“I’m just going to a different department.” I smiled at them, “I originally wanted to work in the pediatric department anyways.”

They complained playfully as I placed the report chart in front of them.

I started towards my office to finish packing all my personal belongings.

In life, there always seems to be so much more bad than good. So sometimes it seems as if the bad outweighs the good times because so many more bad things happen than good. 

If you hold the good memories closer to your heart, you will see that the good things truly outweighs the bad…

Even if that bird had a broken wing, I’m sure that bird found a different way to get to its' destination.  Even a broken wing cannot stop determination from soaring.

 

 

--------------------------------

a/n: Well, here it is, the last chapter! For those who made it until the end, thank you for reading and supporting this fic.  I am currently working on a new fic so if you want, please check it out~ Thanks again!!<3

-pinks