Borderline-Personality Disorder

Twelve With One

"I'm sorry, I didn't get your name." 

"Park Chanyeol." I scribbled down the name on my notepad before starting the session. He was a new patient. New is always good, right?

"So, Chanyeol, how have you been feeling?" even with this simple question, I received a scoff from the tall man. 

"That is the most cliché thing I have heard all day and I expected better from a professional shrink." all of this was said with an attitude and there was an annoyed look on his face. Well aren't you just a bundle of joy?

"Alright. Here's another question. Why did your parents ask you to go seek help from a professional?” he laughed at the word ‘professional’, which made it very difficult for me not to roll my eyes at him. “Did they think that you needed help? That you-”

"Don't talk to me like I'm a lunatic. Because I am not a bloody lunatic and I don't need any of this. My parents are idiots for doing this to me." he said, letting out a deep sigh afterwards.

"But they seem like they love you a lot and are genuinely worried about you. Why are you mad at them?" 

"Because they didn't care enough to help me when I was actually sad. So instead, I got mad. And guess what? That was the only way I got their attention. Whenever I threw a fit, they would come running to me and act as if they were actually concerned," he said with a distasteful tone.

"They only thought of checking up on you when you were angry?" He nodded, a stern look on his face."They'd try to coddle me as if I was a ing child throwing a tantrum for not being able to go to the toy store. It pissed me off." 1. Unresolved problems with parents.

"Have you ever told them how you felt about them doing that?"

"No. Why should I? They're happy to see me like this. They're happy to see me miserable." 

"Why do you say that?" he looked down at his fists that were clenched. A part of me feared that I would end this session with a black eye. But I could just file a report for assault so that should settle that.

He stayed there, his lips forming a straight line, still looking angry. I didn't understand him. Was he angry at me? Was I asking all the wrong questions? Did he know all the answers and was just waiting for me to ask all the right questions? If so, he was with the wrong person. I didn't want him to make me help him if he himself knew what he needed to do. I didn't want a patient who was aware of his problems but didn't care enough to resolve them himself.

"I was in love and that made them mad. They made my girlfriend dump me because they didn't like her. My father would always say, "Son, you deserve someone better" and my mum would continue by saying, "We want to see you happy. We want you to be with a girl who is absolutely perfect!" How could they be so ignorant? I mean, that has to be it. They made her break up with me. There is no other reason. She couldn't have broken up with me over anything else, right?" "Maybe it was your hormonal mood swings" I whispered, under my breath.

"She called me one day and said "Chan, I'm sorry but we have to break up. It's not you, it's me" You can't deny how lame of an excuse that is. She wasn't like that. She loved me. She was the most beautiful person I've ever known and I would have given up the world to be with her. So, it had to be my parents. They always thought their happiness was my happiness but what they didn't realize was that I couldn't care less if they didn't like my girlfriend. I just wanted to feel like someone actually cared about me,” his voice no longer had traces of hatred as it was quickly replaced by the tone of despair.

“I was heartbroken. It felt like my heart stopped functioning and I felt like I was going to die.” 2. Over-exaggeration of his emotions.

“Chanyeol, perhaps your parents had their own reasons as to why they did what they did,” his head shot up and his eyes were like daggers. I took a deep breath-all the while avoiding his piercing gaze-before continuing.

“From what you’ve told me, your parents wanted what was best for you or at least what they thought was best for you. Although I believe that everyone should be able to make their own decisions- especially someone your age-, maybe they had the right intentions. They wanted to help and so do I.”

You don’t get it! They never wanted to help me and they never cared and you know what? You don’t care either, do you? You just want our money.” I was completely baffled at his behaviour. His never ending mood swings were completely out of the blue.

3. Mood swings.

 I looked up and noticed that he had seen me writing in my notepad. He became furious and started shouting insult after insult at me. Never had I ever interacted with someone this….verbally assaulting.

“Chanyeol, please calm down.”

No! Don’t tell me what to do! That’s what my parents always did and I hated them. I hate them with every living fibre in my body and I just-” and nothing. His face was a blank canvas once again. His personality continuously went back and forth and each and every time, they were an exaggeration of a simpler emotion. Betrayal instead of a helping hand. Rage instead of annoyance.

“You just what, Chanyeol?”

“I just want her back. Please. Please make her come back to me. I-I-I need her.” And that was when he had started to cry. He placed his hand on the left side of his chest, over his heart, and sobbed. He slowly dropped to the ground on his knees and stayed that way, tears still pouring down his face.

I felt bad for him.

“Chanyeol,” I knelt down in front of him and placed my hand on his shoulder.

“It’s okay. I know you’re hurting. But I really do want to help you. I really do care for you.” his body stopped shaking and he looked up at me. His big eyes sparkled-the cause of his tears- and he looked at me like a hurt puppy.

“You- you care about me?” his voice mimicked a child, asking their parent whether they would love each other until the end of time. A smile crept onto my face and I responded with a single,

 “Yes”

 For a moment, he did not move. It seemed as if he had stopped breathing. I turned away to look at the clock hanging on the wall to check how much longer this session would last but I could still feel his gaze on me.

The moment I turned back to look at him, he had closed the distance between us. His lips were harshly pressed against mine, the kiss feeling desperate.

Chanyeol! Stop!” I pushed him back and stood up, taking a few steps away from him.

I was afraid.

“But- but you said you loved me,” his voice was now a mixture of both pain and anger.

“I said I care about you and want you to get better. I want to help-”

“You don’t love me?” I didn’t know what to say. I couldn’t say that I loved him without being forcefully kissed again. So, I stood there in silence.

And that made him mad.

“You’re all the same. You’re all liars. I thought I could trust you! But I can only trust her. She was the only one who cared about me. Everyone else just...leaves.”

But she left you. If we're all liars, so is she. She's just the same.

His voice raised higher and higher and his last words were accompanied by the sound of glass shattering. The beautiful porcelain vase that once was placed on the coffee table was now seen on the ground, across the room, in hundreds of tiny pieces.

My body felt as if it went numb and I couldn’t respond to anything that was happening. I could only witness Chanyeol’s actions. Him pushing the stacked magazines off of the table and kicking the leather couch. The door burst open and my assistant came rushing in, a horrified look on her face.

You better get out now before I call the polic-”

“Amber, it’s okay. I’ll handle this.” The 26 year-old redhead looked at me, mouth agape. She couldn’t believe her ears. I smiled a small smile and nodded, indicating her to leave. She did as she was told, not before giving Chanyeol a nasty look.

While all of that was happening, I had noticed Chanyeol’s expression soften. I took a few steps closer to him and grabbed the coffee mug that had his fingers tightly wrapped around handle.

He looked as if he was dazed by everything. Though he did not utter a single word. I grabbed his arm and guided him back to his seat. This time, I took a seat next to him instead of the one on the opposite side.

“Chanyeol, I want you to listen to me. Look at me," and slowly, his head turned towards me.

“I want you to come back next week. Are you okay with having weekly sessions?” he nodded his head nonchalantly; his mind probably stuck in another dimension. I was unsure of whether he would even remember about our appointments. I quickly grabbed a small piece of paper and scribbled down the information of our next meeting.

“Here,” I said, handing him the little note. He hesitantly took it from me.

“Our time today is over but please, come back next week. Okay?” and he nodded. I smiled at him wearily and led him to the door. I didn’t want to let him leave my sight as I thought he was a danger not only to others but mostly to himself. He was self-destructive. Most of my patients were self-destructive so I wasn’t inexperienced. We were outside of my office and I could see Amber sitting at her desk, eyeing the man next to me with an intense stare. I chuckled to myself. You can always rely on Amber to beat the crap out of anyone who tries to hurt you.

“Take care, Chanyeol.” He turned to me one final time and oddly enough, he smiled.

* note: i would like to apologize if this chapter isn't that good. i kinda wanted to write because i finally have the time to now. i might re-edit some parts in the future but for now, here ya go! also, i'm on a one week break so i might most likely post another chapter or two in this week hehe*