Part 3 of 3

Realizations

Kim Minseok is a very simple man.

 

This is why on their days off, instead of going out shopping or dining in some fancy restaurant like everyone else does, he chooses to stay in the dorms to take advantage of the peace and quiet.

 

Today is one of those days.

 

Minseok wakes up at 10 am to an empty dorm and a happy mood.

 

He spends the morning how he wants it - eating a healthy breakfast and takes his carefully crafted coffee (which he makes himself, thank you very much) and makes haste to the living room, ready to watch the latest soccer match that he pre-records on their DVR.

 

However, his happiness is short lived. He stops dead in his tracks when he finds a certain member already belly flopped on the couch. This certain member is not moving an inch and Minseok has the urge to poke him to see if he’s still alive until he recognizes a very familiar koala beanie and promptly tries to back away from the living room.

 

Minseok prays that this member doesn’t see him because there could only be two reasons why Luhan is all over the couch like that:

 

1. He’s had too much to drink.

 

2. He has a huge problem and wants to have an emotional heart to heart talk with someone.

 

The last time he is caught in this situation with Luhan is for reason #2 where Luhan spends 3 ½ hours recalling to Minseok about how perfect Yunho is.

 

Clearly, he doesn’t want to go through that again as much as he loves his Yunho sunbae.

 

“Minnie, just because I can’t see you, doesn’t mean I don’t know you’re here. I could smell your coffee from a mile away,” Luhan’s muffled voice from the couch makes Minseok silently groan because damn, he’s caught.

 

Luhan turns around to face him and Minseok winces because Luhan looks awful. His eyes are red, his face is splotchy, and his dark circles are so prominent he could give Tao a run for his money.

 

“You look --” he begins.

 

“Terrible, I know,” Luhan says, sitting up from the couch.

 

Minseok sighs and sits on the edge of the couch. He knows he’ll regret this later but he ends up asking anyway, “Do...you want to talk about it?”

 

He doesn’t know if he’s asked the right question or not because the next thing he knows, Luhan is pulling his knees close to his chest and sobbing his heart out.

 

“I messed up, Minnie. I just really messed up. It’s been two weeks since Yixing has last spoken with me and I don’t know what to do,” Luhan begins to tell Minseok everything - the dinner, the words he’s said to Yixing, and his newfound discovery of his feelings for Yixing.

 

Minseok gives Luhan time to explain his side of the story, occasionally nodding to assure Luhan he’s still listening. And after his long speech, Luhan looks at Minseok expectantly.

 

Luhan expects to see a variety of different expressions from Minseok - sympathy, compassion, sadness that his friend is feeling this way - but he doesn’t expect to see Minseok fighting off a grin on his face.

 

“Are you seriously laughing right now?” Luhan asks, his lips beginning to tremble once again, tears beginning to form in his eyes. “I’m sitting here, telling you that I’m in love with my best friend and you think it’s funny?!”

 

Why is the world conspiring against him as of late?!

 

“No, no, no,” Minseok says, trying to calm Luhan down. “I’m sorry for laughing.”

 

Luhan huffs, still a little angry.

 

“I’m sorry,” Minseok repeats himself but he ends up giggling anyway. “Luhan, the reason why I’m laughing is because you and Yixing are so dense.”

 

“I don’t get it.”

 

“Of course you don’t. You’re dense and stupid.”

 

“Minnie is there a point to this or are you just going to insult me? Because I can go to Kris for that --”

 

Minseok rolls his eyes. “Luhan it’s very obvious from the start that you had feelings for Yixing. Even before this whole dinner with Yunho sunbae. I guess you never noticed but you and Yixing are attached to the hip. You guys do everything together - eat, sleep, play. You guys wear couple outfits for crying out loud and even the real couple of the group, Sehun and Tao don’t even do that -”

 

“Tao says couple tees are unfashionable and that it’s not his style.”

 

“Not the point,” Minseok admonishes. “To continue, Yixing is the first person you see when you wake up and the last person you see in the day. You’re completely lost without Yixing. Do you remember those four days he decided to go back home to visit his grandparents? What did you do on day 1 of his trip?”

 

Luhan sighs. “I waited for Yixing’s phone call the whole day and refused to do anything until he did so.”

 

“Let’s not forget that on day two of Yixing’s trip back to China, you made Tao cry because he stole your phone and used it to take a million selfies in the bathroom until the battery was almost gone and you yelled at him because you almost missed Yixing’s call.”

 

“Minnie can we not --”

 

“And then on Day 3 you couldn’t take it anymore and researched “‘cheap flight tickets to china’ - but did you seriously need that because I mean, you could have used Joonmyeon’s credit card --”

 

“I’m getting a headache now,” Luhan says, closing his eyes and rubbing his temples.

 

“But the best part is on day 4 when we picked him up at the airport and you were like a lovey dovey boyfriend and hugged him like you’ve been apart for 4 decades. Seriously, the ahjumma and ahjushhi beside us were cooing at you guys saying how romantic you guys are.”

 

“Seriously, Minnie, just stop,” he whines, a blush forming in his cheeks.

 

“But come to think about it, Yixing is the same way with you,” Minseok say thoughtfully. “Man, those four days that YOU went to China, he was a mess too.”

 

“...Was he really?” he asks. He suddenly feels giddy at the thought that Yixing had enough feelings for him to miss him when he is gone.

 

“Oh yeah. I remember those days when you were gone, he’d just kinda sit there and stare at nothing. He’d just have this far away look in his eyes and he’d be even more silent. The night after you left, Yixing knocked on Yifan’s door and asked if he could stay with him and Tao until he got sleepy because it was lonely without you.”

 

Luhan’s heart melts at the thought of Yixing saying that about him and when he remembers that not once did he call Yixing during that time, he feels his heart breaking.

 

“And since you never did call him, Yifan took pity and decided it would be best if he slept with Yixing for a while --”

 

Luhan almost chokes on air. “What?”

 

“--so for the next three days, Yixing and Yifan slept on the same bed --”

 

“WHAT?"

 

“--it was cute, actually, watching Yixing cuddling with Yifan--”

 

“Minnie, you’re going to have to slow down. I’m having a hard time digesting all this information--”

 

“--and they were actually really, really cute the whole time you were gone. They were like a newly wed couple doing things like doing laundry together, cooking together, watching movies on the couch together. It was adorable.”

 

Luhan grips the the edges of the couch.

 

“By the time you got back, Tao was begging the two of them to get married.”

 

Luhan bites his bottom lip, trying to control the jealousy he was feeling.

 

Before Minseok can continue his fanboying, the front door of their apartment opens and in comes Yifan and Yixing, both smiling and carrying bubble teas.

 

“Oh, speaking of the devils, here they are!”

 

“Hi hyung!” Yixing greets Minseok with a wave.

 

“How was the mall?” Minseok asks as Yifan and Yixing make their way into the living room.

 

“The mall? We didn’t go to the mall!” Yixing exclaims, taking a sip of his bubble tea. “Yifan ge and I went to Namsan Tower again. It’s even more fun when there are no cameras around. He and I decided to buy couple locks and write wishes for each other! See, I took a picture!!”

 

While Yixing shows Minseok the photos they’ve taken, Luhan doesn’t miss the smug look Yifan is giving him.

 

Luhan reminds himself to pour all of Yifan’s facial products down the toilet that night.

 

*~*~*~*

Fear is a four letter word that Luhan often associates with Tao and Joonmyeon and not with himself.

 

So when he looks back on everything and realizes that it’s been exactly 2 weeks and 5 days since he’s spoken with Yixing, he beats himself up for it because he’s never felt more of a wuss than he does at this point.

 

But he can’t help the fact that he’s scared because slowly but surely, he’s starting to lose Yixing.

 

In front of the camera they are good. They act as if nothing is wrong - as if they are still best friends. Those are the times that Luhan loves the most because at least for that hour or two in front of the camera, he can hug Yixing, look him straight in the eyes, and feel like nothing has changed.

 

But things have definitely changed.

 

Because once the cameras are off and they’re left to their own devices, they’re back to the way they are now - Yixing doing his own thing while Luhan watches him from afar.

 

This is exactly what Luhan does as he watches the dancing line practice their choreography for an upcoming show.

 

Usually the vocal line, rapping line, and dancing line all practice in separate rooms, however, since all the sunbaes have their own performances to work on for the end of the year showcases, all the practice rooms in the SM building are taken so they all have to share.

 

It’s definitely nothing short of chaotic as it always is when all twelve members are together.

 

Minseok and Chen are immersed in their own high pitch singing battle, Kris and Suho are arguing about placement and schedules, Tao and Kyungsoo are buying drinks from the vending machine, while Baekhyun practices his singing with Chanyeol accompanying him by guitar.

 

But this all means nothing to Luhan as he watches the two evil maknaes with Yixing.

 

All three of them are facing away and towards the full length wall mirror which gives Luhan a better chance to openly shoot hateful stares at Jongin and Sehun for being too close to Yixing and not be noticed.

 

“Hyung, why don’t you take my spot and I’ll take Chanyeol hyung’s spot just for fun?” Jongin suggests to Yixing.  It seems that they are practicing the EXO - Dubstep Intro choreography.

 

‘Please say no,’ Luhan repeats about a thousand times in his head. ‘Please say no-’

 

“Sure!” Yixing says, smiling as he stands in the middle of their practice area.

 

As soon as the song starts playing, Luhan holds his breath watching as Jongin’s hands wander around Yixing’s chest.

 

Luhan continues to watch on and his eyebrows furrow when he notices Jongin’s hands go lower towards Yixing’s lower abdomen and even a little lower.

 

He nearly screeches in frustration but he is saved when Sehun pushes Jongin out of the way.

 

“What do you think you’re doing to my hyung!” Sehun practically shrieks at Jongin before wrapping his arms around Yixing’s waist from behind. “He’s my hyung. Go find your own!”

 

Jongin gives Sehun a feral look but before he can even move an inch, Yifan’s voice booms out, “Jongin, Kyungsoo is looking for you. He needs help with the drinks.”

 

At the mention of Kyungsoo’s name,Jongin’s face turns from feral to cutesy in a few seconds. “Kyunggie hyung, I am coming!” he cries out in an unusually high aegyo voice as he runs towards the exit.

 

“If Kyungsoo needs help that means that Tao--” Sehun begins.

 

“--left him to look for food so I put him in charge of getting food for the rest of us. Maybe you should help him out too,” Yifan says.

 

Sehun nods his head. “I love him but I’m afraid he’ll finish half of whatever he buys before even getting on the elevator. I’m out of here to catch him. Yehet!”

 

Luhan shoots Kris a grateful look.

 

Now he feels like buying the man another bb cream.

 

*~*~*~

 

Later that night while the rest of the members are in bed, Luhan sits alone in their dark living room.

 

His pulls his knees to his chest, a steaming cup of black tea in front of him.

 

It’s one of those nights for Luhan. It’s one of those nights where a million thoughts are running through his head and he can’t do anything to stop them.

 

Usually on nights like these, he finds comfort in Yixing. This is exactly why they have those nightly conversations in the first place. He feels more calm after speaking about things with Yixing and doesn’t have any troubles with sleeping. But now that he can’t talk with him, Luhan’s insomnia has become more frequent and intense. Tonight is one of the more intense ones.

 

Luhan walks towards the window to take in the sights and sounds of Seoul.

 

He closes his eyes, trying to calm his heart down, when he feels strong arms wrap around his waist from behind.

 

Luhan doesn’t even need to open his eyes to know whose arms are around his so he wastes no time to lean in, making himself more comfortable.

 

“I woke up and found your bed empty. I’m assuming you couldn’t go to bed,” Yixing explains.

 

Luhan nods his head, opening his eyes once again to look at the city streets below them. “I have a million thoughts running through my mind right now. I don’t know what to do about it but I don’t want to talk about it either.”

 

“You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to,” Yixing reasons out and Luhan nods his head gratefully, keeping his eyes closed so that he doesn’t have to face Yixing.

 

For a while they stand still the way that they are - Luhan snuggling closer to Yixing who still has his arms wrapped around Luhan’s waist securely.

 

Luhan suddenly feels bold, overwhelmed, and excited at the idea that his best friend is talking to him  again that he blurts out,  “Do you hate me?”

 

He feels Yixing stiffen behind him.

 

“Luhan-ge, I could never hate you,” Yixing says to him.

 

Luhan then untangles himself from Yixing’s arms to look at Yixing directly.

 

“They why do you keep avoiding me? Is it because of the things that I said about you that night? Because I am really, really sorry -”

 

“It’s not about that, ge,” Yixing interrupts him and Luhan has never felt more confused. “I have forgotten about that a long time ago.”

 

“The what is it, Xing?” he asks, pleading to the man in front of him. “Tell me what I did wrong so I could make things better.”

 

And without hesitations, Yixing says, “It’s because I love you.”

 

Luhan breathing hitches in his throat, waiting for Yixing to continue.

 

“I love you, Luhan-ge. More than a friend. I want you to be mine only. I want to be the first person you think of when you wake up in the morning and the last person you think of before going to bed at night. I want to be the person that hugs you when you are happy and the person that kisses away the tears when you are sad. I want to be the person next to you for the rest of you life,” Yixing confesses.

 

“But I know that it’s impossible, ge. It’s impossible because you only see me as a friend. It’s impossible because I am not Yunho sunbae and you deserve someone like him. You deserve someone who shines like you do.” His voice starts to tremble and tears start forming in his eyes. He looks down, avoiding Luhan’s gaze.

 

“So I decided to avoid you, thinking that ignoring you would help me out. But it doesn’t. Because I still continue to think about you every single day, only this time it hurts even more because I’m missing you too. I’m really sorry, Luhan-ge. I feel like I’m burdening you too much again,” Yixing sobs out.

 

Luhan is relieved.

 

He is relieved that Yixing does not hate him.

 

He is relieved that Yixing liked him.

 

He is relieved that Yixing still likes him.

 

So he smiles despite seeing Yixing cry.

 

Luhan tilts up Yixing’s head so that their eyes could meet and cups Yixing’s face with both his hands. He uses his thumbs to gently wipes the tears off of his cheeks.

 

“You are an idiot,” Luhan whispers. “You are an idiot because you already are the first and the last thing I think of. You are already the person that I share my joys and sorrow with. But if you are an idiot, I am an even bigger one. Because standing in front of me right now is someone who is perfect in every single way, inside and out. And I almost missed out on a chance to see this because I was so blind.”

 

Luhan takes this time to lean in closer to him, wrapping his arms around Yixing’s neck, connecting their foreheads together.

 

“Zhang Yixing, I know it’s taken me a while but now I know and realize the difference between you and Yunho sunbae. I admire Yunho sunbae but I love you and only you.”

 

Luhan eliminates the small gap between them by connecting their lips together in a kiss. Luhan hesitates for a moment, afraid of what Yixing may be thinking, however, all his worries disappear the moment he feels Yixing move his lips to kiss him back sweetly.

 

Yixing snakes his arms around Luhan’s waist, pulling him in closer before tilting his head to the side, deepening their kiss and they stay like this for a while, basking in the presence of each other, making up for the lost time that they had while they weren’t speaking.

 

Kissing Yixing is everything Luhan has ever dreamed about but he wants something more. Without breaking contact, Luhan gently directs Yixing towards their bedroom and Yixing complies, their sweet kisses turning more and more heated as they get closer to their bedroom.

 

As soon as they are in front of their bedroom door, Yixing pushes Luhan’s back against it roughly, lifting Luhan’s legs to wrap around his waist. He detaches his lips from Luhan’s and before Luhan could protest, Yixing starts placing gentle, butterfly kisses from his jawline to his neck. Luhan couldn’t help but moan when Yixing finds a sensitive spot on his neck and begins to nip at it gently.

 

“I love you so much, Yixing,” he moans out, his breathing erratic.

 

Yixing pauses and lifts his head so his eyes can meet Luhan’s. “I love you, too,” he says before locking their lips together in another heated kiss.

 

Both Luhan and Yixing are in their own world that when the door that Luhan is currently leaning on opens, Luhan falls backward in shock, Yixing on top of him.

 

“Okay, seriously, I am trying to sleep--”

 

Yifan looks at the two men on his floor.

 

Their clothes are disheveled, hairs are tangled messes, lips are both red.

 

Yifan winces.

 

There are many things that he does not want to see or know in his life and knowing that his two best friends were making out outside his door a few seconds ago is one of them.

 

“Listen...I’m glad you guys patched things up but uhm...keep it in your bedroom, yeah?” he says, pointing towards the door across from his. “I’ll just pretend I didn’t see anything and go back to bed. Just...please close my door and then yours after. I’ll put my headphones on.” He turns around, grabs his iPod, and hops on his bed, facing the wall.

 

Luhan remains frozen on the ground with Yixing hovering above him and they both smile. Yixing gets up before helping Luhan up as well.

 

They both try to fix their clothes and walk out of Yifan’s bedroom and Yixing barely closes Yifan’s door before Luhan jumps back in his arms again and this time, they actually make it to the right bedroom.

 

And everything is alright with the world again.

*~*~*~

A/N: OMG YOU GUYS I AM SO SORRY IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO UPDATE!! ;____; I went to the CN Blue concert this weekend so it's been a pretty hectic week. XDD Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and I'm hoping to post up an epilogue soon. =))