Turn Around

This isn't who we are

Listen to: Turn Around by Bruno Mars


Jiyong's POV

I rolled my neck and let out a deep sigh, a frown marring my face as I stared at all the paper work on my desk. It seemed endless. So much work to do, and so little time to do it.

"Are you alright Mr Kwon?"

I lifted my head to see my secretary Ahn Sohee looking at me worriedly from her desk across the room.

"I'm alright. Thanks for asking. You should go home, it's way past your working hours," I replied as I took a glance at the clock. It was half past seven already, and office hours finished two hours ago.

I glanced back down at the contract I was reading, a frown once again appearing on my face as I played with my pen absentmindedly in my hand. I groaned as I threw the contract down in frustration, my hand coming up to massage my forehead as I contemplated the decision I would have to make.

I jumped slightly in surprise when I felt hands on my shoulders, softly massaging them. I turned my head slightly to see Sohee staring at me with a soft smile.

"I thought you went home?" I asked as she continued to massage my shoulders.

"I can't leave you here, i'm your secretary. It's my job to help you," she simply replied with a small shrug, "in anyway." she whispered in my ear seducticely.

I leaned forward and brought my hands up to remove hers, "I'm alright Sohee, you can go."

"But Sir, there's alot of work left--"

"I said go home Sohee," I cut her off and turned to give her a stern look.

She nodded and bowed before scurrying over to her desk, turning off her computer, grabbing her bag and leaving the office we shared.

I sighed again for the billionth time today my eyes drifting from the closed door to the picture frame on my desk. A soft smile emerged on my face as I picked it up. It was a wedding photo of my beautiful wife and I.

I had been married for a year now, in fact, tonight was my anniversary to my beautiful wife Sandara Park, well technically it's Sandara Kwon now right?

We had met when I was 22 and she was 24, and no, it wasn't love at first sight. I was, and still am part of the wealthy class citizens of South Korea. I am the successor to Kwon Corporations, being the only son in my family. Dara, on the other hand, was an orphaned child and had lived a low-class life style, but it wasn't for all her life of course. She was a strong girl, and had learnt to fend for herself, she worked her off to get where she was, juggling three jobs so she could pay for tuition for school.

She's a beautiful girl, my wife, but that wasn't the reason I fell for her, no. It was her personality and her heart. She was the kindest, most caring person I had ever met, she was so selfless. Call me sappy for saying it, but she was my perfect other half. She was the yin to my yang. Of course my parents didn't see it that way. All they saw was a middle-class worker, but that didn't stop me from marrying her. I knew they didn't really approve but they couldn't do much about it, I mean the heart wants what the heart wants right? They would get over it eventually.

I placed the photo of us back down on my desk, in the middle of a range of other photos of us during our dating period. I smiled as I tenderly the photo with my thumb then let out a heavy sigh. Today was my one year anniversary with my wife and yet here I was at work. What the hell is wrong with me?

"Screw this." I mumbled as I stood up, disregarding my messy desk as I threw my blazer on and grabbed my car keys and marched out of the office.

I threw my briefcase into the backseat before getting into the drivers seat and loosening my tie.

"I wonder why she hasn't called me..." I muttered, ing the top of my shirt as I checked my phone for any missed calls and texts, "She couldn't have forgotten right?"

My brows furrowed as I pursed my lips. She wouldn't have forgotten it was our annviersary right? No way.. she was the sentimental type, so that's impossible. I shook my head before shifting into drive and making my way back home.

I tapped the steering wheel as I waited at a red light, my eyes absentmindedly drifting towards the passenger window, my eyes widening .

"Damn it! She must've thought I forgot!" I cursed under my breath as I stared at a flower shop down the road.

/BEEP BEEP/

"Alright, calm down you douche," I rolled my eyes as I looked through my rearview mirror to see the guy behind me curse at my stationary car. Okay, yeah, the lights may have turned green but people need to learn about patience!

I turned left and parked at the side before getting out and making my way towards the florist.

"Annyeonghaseyo, what can I do for you sir?" the florist greeted me.

"I would like to purchase a large bouquet of roses pleases," I requested, "red ones."

"Okay sir, they'll be ready in about 15 minutes," she bowed and went to go pick some roses to arrange.

I stood there with my hands in my pocket as I waited patiently, when a thought hit me.

"Excuse me, do you know if there are any jewellers around here?" I asked the florist.

"Ah, there's one two streets down from here sir," she replied.

"Okay, is it alright if I pay and come back for these?" I asked taking my wallet out of my jacket.

I quickly left the shop and walked down, following her directions before I reached a posh looking jewellery store and let myself in.

"May I help you sir?" a lady greeted me.

"Could you show me your necklace collection please?"

She nodded at me and put on a pair of white gloves before unlocking the glass cabinet and carefully pulling out the tray holding their collection of necklaces, "Here you go sir."

I let my eyes trail carefully over them before one caught my eyes. I smiled as I pointed to it, "Can I take a closer look at this one."

"Certainly sir," she delicately picked up the neckalce and placed it on a dark velvet lined tray, allowing me to see the necklace clearer.

"I'll take this one," I decided upon closer inspection. It was a diamond necklace with the letters D and J entwined at the center.

I paid the worker and thanked her before making my way out of the store. I paused when I spotted the wine store across the road, taking a short detour to the flower shop and going to grab an expensive bottle of red wine. Since red was her favourite.

"Thanks," I thanked the florist when I returned to pick up the bouquet, she had done a beautiful job. I was sure Dara would love them.

I placed the flowers and bottle of wine delicately on the passenger seat and checked my pocket to make sure the box containing her necklace was safely there before shifting into drive and making my way home.

I smoothly pulled into our driveway and got out of the car, walking round to the other side to grab the flowers and wine. I looked up at our marital home and noticed none of the lights were on. She couldn't have gone to bed already right? I glanced at my watch, the one that she had bought me, to see that it was just past eight thirty. It wasn't the most fanciest watch I had, nor was it the most expensive, but it was still the one I loved to wear the most.

I carefully let myself into the house, and squinted in the darkness, trying to adjust to the darkness. I slipped my shoes off and cautiously crept through the hallway, making my way towards the living room.

"Dara?" I called out quietly. I frowned when I noticed there were flickering lights in the dining room. What the hell?

I slowly walked towards the dining room and peeked in to see a romantic dinner for two set up on the table, candles placed around the room to create a romantic ambience. I knew it, there was no way she would've forgotten!

"Hi," I felt her place a small kiss on my shoulder, her arms wrapping around my waist in a back hug.

I placed the bottle of wine on the table and turned to present her with the bouquet of flowers, "Hi babe."

"These are beautiful, thanks babe," she said as she smelled the flowers before placing them down on the table and wrapping her arms around my neck, pulling me down to give me a sweet kiss.

"Mmm, not as beautiful as you," I breathed when we pulled away, my nose softly nudging against hers.

"Come on, let's eat hmm?" she suggested and held my hand, pulling me towards the table and pushing me onto my seat.

"I brought your favourite, red wine," I said as I made a move to open the bottle.

"Oh Ji.. you know it's not good to have wine when.." she trailed off.

I sighed at her. Reality came crashing back down on me. Right, how could I have forgotten?

"Yeah, well.. it's alright for me to drink right?" I said, a little snappily as I unscrewed the bottle and poured myself a full glass.

Dara watched disapprovingly as I picked up the glass and took a sip.

"So how was your day?" she asked as we began our meal.

I slowly chewed on the steak, swallowing before replying to her, "Stressful. There's just so much to do and so little time. We're getting proposals left, right and center. I'm still going through some of them now. Tak Telecommunications keeps badgering us for a meeting but--"

"Mmm," she hummed absentmindedly as she played with the food on her plate.

I sighed in frustration and looked down at my plate. She obviously wasn't listening to me.

"Are you even listening to me?" I said frustratedly as I stabbed a potao.

"Huh? Of course I am! You were saying about.. about.." she bit her lip and looked down guiltily.

"I didn't think so."

"I'm sorry Jiyong. Carry on," she apologised, grabbing my hand and squeezing it.

"As I was saying, the CEO to Tak Telecommunications is on my back, demanding we have a meetings so we can settle the deal we've been discussing over the past couple of--"

"Oh Jiyong! I went to this meeting in town today. There were more women there than I expected! It was really nice meeting everyone and getting to know them. Some of them were in the same position as me. They've been trying for ages, some even longer with no results. It was really insightful, I bought some advice books there and also bought some new herbal medecines that are supposed to encourage--"

/KLANG/

I unceremoniously dropped my knife and fork on my plate and sighed heavily, my elbows on the table as I rubbed my forehead in frustration. It's always like this. It's been like this for the past couple of months and it's been adding to my frustrations. I was stressed enough already, couldn't she see that? The least she could do as a wife is support me no? All I ask is for her to listen to me, but here she goes again, completely diregarding me and expecting me to listen to her.

"I'm sorry Ji, I didn't mean to cut you off, I was just excited about these new tips I learnt. Maybe they'll help--"

"Don't apologise if you don't mean it Dara," I interrupted, "I'm tired, I'm going to go to bed."

I pushed away from the table, my chair scraping loudly against the floor as I got up and turned my back on her, ready to leave the dining room.

"I do mean it Jiyong! I'm sorry okay? You know how much this means to me--"

"Do you know what day it is today Dara?" I asked, my back still turned to her.

"Today?" she repeated, followed by silence.

I scoffed, my shoulders slumping as I looked up at the ceiling. So she did forget. I should've known. I should've known all of this wasn't because she remembered, no.

"Today is our first anniversary Dara," I informed her tiredly.

"I-I knew that! You didn't give me time to say it!" she stuttered indignantly.

"No you didn't Dara. Goodnight." Without turning around to look at her I started to take long strides away from her.

"Wait! Jiyong! I'm sorry!" she called out.

"I'm tired Dara, let's talk about this another time okay?" I said tiredly.

"But I wanted to try again today," she said quietly.

I squeezed my eyes shut and clenched my jaw. Seriously? She forgot about our anniversary, and I just told her I was tired and yet she wants to try?

"Not today Dara."

"But Jiyong! I'm ovulating right now, we need to try!" she insisted as I felt her wrap her arms around me again in a back hug, her face leaning on my back.

I sighed as I closed my eyes. As Dara was orphaned as a child, it had alway been her dream to have children. Children of her own which she could raise and love in a way that her parents never did to her. It was something she had always craved, and it was something I wanted to give to her. The moment we were married we immediately began trying. A year on and there was still no success. I still remember when the failure got to her so much that she would leave the bathroom in floods of tears each time she saw the dreaded 'negative'. I wasn't ignorant to her feelings, I know how much this means to her, and I know how disheartening it is to have no success after trying for so long, but did she ever think about how I felt?

I..I..I don't know why..why
It seems like every other night
You pick a fight..fight
I kind of know i do the the same
Be calling you out your name
This is not what lovers are suppose to do..do

"Not today Dara," I repeated, placing my hand over hers and breaking them apart, releasing me from her hold, "I'm tired. I'm just not in the mood."

"You're not in the mood? Stop being so selfish Jiyong!" she suddenly burst into anger, walking around to my front and glaring at me.

Now wait..wait before you say..say
Something you know you'll take back later on today..day
Sometimes you drive me crazy but I love you baby
All I ask is that you always appreciate me

I let out a small humourless laugh. I'm selfish?

"Fine! Go! Walk out! If that's how much I mean to you!" she continued angrily.

I shook my head at her and made a move to walk past her. I just didn't want to deal with this right now. I already had enough on my plate from work.

"You know how much this means to me Jiyong!" she screamed at me, causing me to pause in my tracks.

"It means so much to me Jiyong! I need this! You know I need this! We've been trying for so long, we can't give up now! You can't give up!" she continued, her voice beginning to break.

You tell me to go..
I start walking out..
When we both know..
What we're all about..
We fuss fight and scream
And its all because of our love
But you and I both know we never giving up

"Please Jiyong.. I just... I just want a baby so badly. I never thought it would be so hard. I just... I want little Dara's and Jiyong's running around the house, I want a family Jiyong. I just want a family."

I stood there my fists clenched tightly as I listened to the desperation in her voice. As I listened to my wife break down.

"You know how much i've wanted a family Jiyong. I've missed out on things other people have taken for granted. I just want the chance to live my dreams through my own kids. Is that too much to ask for? Can't you give me that? You promised me," she sobbed.

I hated it when she cried. I hated it because it hurt me so much to hear her pain, to see her pain. Especially when I was the reason for her pain.

Everytime I try to leave something tells me to turn around round..
Cause how could I ever leave the only one that holds me down down..
Cause I know we can work it out, talk it out, stick it out
Everytime I try to leave we find a way to figure it out
Thats why I always turn around

Aint nobody that can love me, like you love me
Thats why I always turn around for you
Aint nobody that can love me, like you love me
Thats why i always turn around for you
Its only for you

I let out a defeated sigh, and turned around, my heart letting out a painful thud at the sight of my wife kneeling on the floor, tears flowing from her eyes.

I knelt down and gathered her in my arms, leaning her head against my chest, the sounds of her sobs cutting through me painfully.

"I'm sorry Dara. Please don't cry baby, please," I begged when I felt my shirt begin to dampen from her tears, "I was wrong."

"I-I'm sorry too Jiyong," she stuttered in between her sobs.

I looked down at her questioningly when I felt her pull back.

"P-please..hic.. please can we try Jiyong..." she hiccuped as she grabbed onto my shirt desperately.

I hated it when she looked at me like that. Like whatever I would say, whatever I would do next would make or break her, like I held the key to all of her answers.

My sigh was cut off when I felt her press her lips against mine, her desperation conveyed heavily through the kiss.

I closed my eyes and kissed her back, pulling her closer to me, cradling her in my arms like she was the most precious person in the world.

Everytime I try to leave something tells me to turn around
Cause how could I ever leave the only one that holds me down
Cause I know we can work it out, talk it out, stick it out
Everytime I try to leave we find a way to figure it out
Thats why i always turn around


Author's Note:

Annyeong everybody!

I'm so happy to see some subscribers and upvotes already, despite the fact I haven't posted any chapters yet! I'm sorry if this fanfic isn't what you expected and disappoints you, I just need to get this out of my system!!

Out of curiosity, what did you guys think Dara/Jiyong was going to be obsessed with in this fanfic? Did anyone guess it correctly?

Also, I want to wish you all a Happy Chinese New Year!! ^___^

~Water Phoenix